1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Another injection pump install question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another injection pump install question

My injector pump was sealed to the timing case with some kind of sealant. This prevents me from rotating the pump to change the static timing. I want to fix this, but I dont want to screw anything up. Is it possible to slide the pump back enough to remove the gunk and install a gasket without disturbing the cylinder timing?

I am kind of dumb about this stuff. I'm going to go watch the injection pump recall video on youtube now.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:05 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just pull the pump. It ain't that bad.

Pull the throttle brackets, and the injection lines. Remove the oil fill tube and IP gear nut. Roll the engine over until the Key is pointing up. Lock the pump in place then press the pump off the gear.

Fix the gasket problem the reinstall the pump.

Piece of cake.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You worry too much.

Any movement will affect timing so no, you can't do it without affecting timing.

You could crank that pump as far as you want one way or the other and not mess anything up.

Move it however you want and when you find a position you like, leave it.

Just measuring from the head over to the afc will give you a close enough before and after position.

As you already know turning the pump towards the drivers fender retards timing reducing lag, causes higher cruising and towing egt's, limits high rpm, will give higher boost readings and a quieter engine.

Rotating towards the head will advance timing causing more initial lag, lower cruising and towing egt's, higher revving engine, lower boost readings and a louder, rattling engine.

Some just jump the gear a tooth or two which is equal to 10 and 20 degrees advanced.

IIRC the total adjustment possible just by rotating is .75mm (7.5* approx) to 2.35mm (23* approx) of timing which is about 15* of total adjustment.
This is a pretty close ball park mm wise if your pump is using the factory cam plate which, more than likely it is.