1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Speedometer (again)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 01:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Speedometer (again)

The speedometer on my '93 W250 reads slow by ~30 mph. Both the odometer and the trip meter function perfectly, so I believe the speed sensor (VSS) and the drive gears in the gauge cluster are OK. In a conversation with my local speedometer repair shop, they indicated the issue was therefore in the circuit board chip (UAF2115) that process the VSS input, and subsequently controls the electric motor that drives the speedometer needle. They declined to repair my speedometer, stating that the original UAF2115 mileage indicator IC was manufactured in Germany by VDO. But the last four UAF2115 mileage indicator IC's that they procured, sourced from China via Ebay these days, were non-functional.
So, does anyone have a source for the OEM (VDO-manufactured) UAF2115 integrated circuit?
Regards,
Pete
Old 04-06-2024, 06:13 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I have several OEM gauge clusters for Cummins trucks in my shop that I would sell.

Non functional E-bay parts from China???
Big shocker there.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Oliver.
You've made several references to vintage Dodge components available "at your shop" in the past. But other than your name, and your location in Vermont, how's one supposed to take advantage of your inventory???? Do you have a web presence? A URL you might share? Some way to contact you, other than a reply to a Diesel Truck Resource thread? I'm (unfortunately) out here in the Pacific Northwest, and apparently not "in the know" of a significant number of parts resources for my aging '93 W250.
Regarding your comment regarding China-manufactured parts, I agree. They're (in general) not up to the quality standards those of us in the western world take for granted. However, China has manufacturing capabilities that the current western world can only dream of, and the western world therefore takes advantage of them. Geopolitics aside, auto parts of ALL kinds manufactured in China are SOP these days. Personally, I found it refreshing that my local speedometer repair facility is not only familiar with 30 year old Dodge trucks, but could recite from memory various repair issues regarding such an esoteric part as a gauge cluster, and share an essential OEM part number to boot. And had enough corporate knowledge and willingness to share their experience with the UAF2115 integrated circuit to lead me on a quest for a non-China manufactured part essential to the repair of my cluster.
It may be fool's errand, but FYI, I've already located an electronics parts supplier that is running non-China manufactured UAF2115 ICs to ground. And to cover my bets, I've got a replacement (used) gauge cluster enroute from a Spokane, Washington scrap yard as well. Thanks for your offer of a replacement cluster, but I believe I can cobble up a repair to my truck, assuming either my elex parts guy comes through or my replacement cluster actually works. Time will tell.
Regards,
Pete
Old 04-07-2024, 06:26 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I do not have a cell phone, or a website. I do not even know what a URL is. I do have a 15 year old add on CL in Vermont that I keep updated.
I work on Dodge trucks 7 days a week and have many hard to find parts for '89-'02 Dodge Cummins trucks. I am always working on some sort of Cummins conversion, truck or Ramcharger build. My large shop is full of Dodge Cummins motors and 1st and 2nd gen parts.

10 years ago I had an add on DTR for parts but I let it die as I got tired of refreshing it every 30 days. At this point people who know me use me to help keep their old trucks on the road.

The following 3 users liked this post by oliver foster:
DevynBurk (04-08-2024), nonrev (04-07-2024), nothingbutdarts (04-08-2024)