1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

the 1st gen pulling truck thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curts got a point Jeff
Old 07-26-2011, 10:42 PM

Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 PM

Beef up tranny

Have a 93 dodge what can I do to beef it up want to get about 500 horse what can I do for the tranny
Old 07-27-2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainChrysler
Yeah but... The pull is Wednesday night. Plus it's on the way to Michigan.
Well, the wifes' BMW 330XI doesn't have a gooseneck ball in the trunk. It is a 6 speed though.

Seriously, just too busy Wednesday night getting ready to head out early Thursday. Wish I could be there.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am just giving you a hard time Jeff.

FWIW they are going to have those sleds at all the pulls over here. Which is a major upgrade over the past. I am not 100% sure what sled will be at Ute, as they are not scheduled for Bungart's, as of right now.

When is Arlington's truck pull?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:29 PM

Well.....I shot myself in the foot on that one. There ended up being a big hole right at the line. Pretty disapointed with the run. It doesn't look like much in the vid, but it was bouncing pretty good right off the bat. Maybe I let out of it a little early, but it sucks when stuff breaks. But hey, it didn't choke out. Still managed 287'.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 PM

Alright I've got a question for all you other pullers that I've been thinkin on a while. Have any of you tried different gearing in the front and back? or a different sized tire? I know this doesn't sound good on your transfer case but its in the dirt so it will slip enough and should be okay, plus the ol np205s should handle it. I've been seeing dana 80s all over with 4.10s in them and i have 3.54s... so I was thinkin about gettin one and swappin it in then leaving those gears in and swapping them back to 3.54s when pulling season is over.

I'm sure different gearing would aid in a manual truck off the line, you could get your front tires spinning faster and the back tires still geared low to get you going. I asked over on Comp'd and most guys said they had good results and to just run a taller tire in the front if you don't wanna change gears.

Just wondered if any of you guys have tried it and what the results were?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:17 PM

You could, in theory, get by with running slightly different ratios front to rear, but.... 4.10 to 3.54 is far too much. I'd imagine you would break something in short order.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:01 PM

Made the trip over to Wahoo last Saturday. The good news is, it survived 5 more hooks. The bad news is, they were all ugly. The first two I didn't even upload. The truck just bounces this year. If we baby it off the line we can get it down the track.

It does get a little better in the heavy classes.

Matt pulled in the 2.6, ended up getting 1st with 320'.

I pulled it in the 3.0 class. Made it 306', probably about dead last, but there are some strong runners in that class.

At the end they have a pull off of all the first place trucks from each class. Matt made it 285', put him about 3rd IIRC.

You may notice different rolling stock in the vid's. A big thanks to Pulltilbroke for letting us try his STS's.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 PM

Not a problem Curt, I'll be working on our vids tonite and tomorow, I'll even put together some full class vids.

BTW thanks for the Tach
Old 08-02-2011, 08:44 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 92smokin blacky
Alright I've got a question for all you other pullers that I've been thinkin on a while. Have any of you tried different gearing in the front and back? or a different sized tire? I know this doesn't sound good on your transfer case but its in the dirt so it will slip enough and should be okay, plus the ol np205s should handle it. I've been seeing dana 80s all over with 4.10s in them and i have 3.54s... so I was thinkin about gettin one and swappin it in then leaving those gears in and swapping them back to 3.54s when pulling season is over.

I'm sure different gearing would aid in a manual truck off the line, you could get your front tires spinning faster and the back tires still geared low to get you going. I asked over on Comp'd and most guys said they had good results and to just run a taller tire in the front if you don't wanna change gears.

Just wondered if any of you guys have tried it and what the results were?

A few years back I remember the gasser mod guys did run different gears in the front axle. Some were very different like 2.0 or more diff. The mud guys do it too.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Richie O
A few years back I remember the gasser mod guys did run different gears in the front axle. Some were very different like 2.0 or more diff. The mud guys do it too.
Some local mod gas trucks and a diesel ran split ratios years ago. It doesn't work, all the bind is in the t-case or front axle one or the other likes to let go way to often. Traction in mud and on dry ground is totally different.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainChrysler
Made the trip over to Wahoo last Saturday. The good news is, it survived 5 more hooks. The bad news is, they were all ugly. The first two I didn't even upload. The truck just bounces this year. If we baby it off the line we can get it down the track.

It does get a little better in the heavy classes.

Matt pulled in the 2.6, ended up getting 1st with 320'.

I pulled it in the 3.0 class. Made it 306', probably about dead last, but there are some strong runners in that class.

At the end they have a pull off of all the first place trucks from each class. Matt made it 285', put him about 3rd IIRC.

You may notice different rolling stock in the vid's. A big thanks to Pulltilbroke for letting us try his STS's.
Are you shifting gears while pulling with a manual??? Thats sure what it sounds like, around here they wont let you shift a manual or else you'll be disqualified, they say its pretty hard to do anyways.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:20 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stillsmokin
Some local mod gas trucks and a diesel ran split ratios years ago. It doesn't work, all the bind is in the t-case or front axle one or the other likes to let go way to often. Traction in mud and on dry ground is totally different.
I am not sure how it worked, I was just a kid at the time. I just remember thinking that it must make things unhappy.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:56 PM

No shifting of gears, just on and off the throttle.

Quick Reply: the 1st gen pulling truck thread