1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

the 1st gen pulling truck thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice trucks guys. I saw a first gen pulling in the 4wd pro stock diesel truck class at the huge pull here in Tomah, Wisconsin. It pulled just as far as the others and much farther than 2 D-maxes that couldn't make it off the start line.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well its 4 in the morning and I just got home from the bully dog days of summer event today that bully dog put on. They had a dyno at bully dog headquarters and then pulls tonight at another location about an hour north of there. So me and my neighbor trailered my truck with his fummins to the dyno first and I got on the rollers.

I put down 341 hp and 594 ft lbs on my best run all still with my bone stock non lockup a518 (don't ask me how its still goin) and stock head bolts. This is about what I expected going from my last 307hp run over a year ago. I heard they were putting no load on the dyno so now im curious what my numbers would be with say 20-40% load. When I dynoed 307 it was at 20% load on a superflow. Then we trailered up to the pulls.

The classes were a lil different with this organization I pulled in this time. They let us weigh up to 8500 lbs and I brought all the weights I could to plan on 8000 but I had enough to get up to 8400 luckily with 1400 lbs hangin on the front. I ran in the mod diesel class where you could run up to a 2.8 turbo. There was no 2.6 or 2.8 class Just stock turbo, modified (up to 2.8) and super mod (anything bigger than 2.8 or twins). So I ran in the mod class with my auroura 3000 which everyone is telin me is basically an s300. Its like a 2.4 or 2.5" inducer so I was an underdog turbo wise.

Well I gave er all she had pulled 223' and took 3rd place out of 7or 8 trucks in that class. There was a ton of dmaxes and I think 2 other dodges but I beat them trucks that were puttin about twice my power and some that were runnin full 2.8" turbos. I was pretty impressed myself, the guy that took 2nd pulled 223' and 11" and I pulled 223' and 2" so he barely edged me. The old dodge ran strong and held up once again and surprisingly that tranny made it through today but I came home with a trophy and a lil prize money and I know I did the ve crowd proud since I was one of the few mechanical injected trucks there anyways.

I will post vids up tomorrow but after I get some sleep, I haven't got much all week
Old 07-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

Thats a great feeling when you whomp on trucks with twice the power as you isn't it
Old 07-10-2011, 07:55 PM

nice job austin , your moving up on my heroes list. did brandon pull ? do you want to try my bigger injectors sometime ? if you need more fuel you can try them. what trucks did you beat ?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:54 PM

Name:  IMG_8615-1.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  74.1 KB

Here are of a few of my recent passes from last august to present... The VE has allowed me to get into the ground speed war a little more than I had planned....

Old 07-11-2011, 12:50 AM
The 'Ford does not own Cummins' enforcer.

here is my old 93 pulling at the farmers fair
Name:  truck1.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  59.3 KB
Old 07-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by crewcabxlt
nice job austin , your moving up on my heroes list. did brandon pull ? do you want to try my bigger injectors sometime ? if you need more fuel you can try them. what trucks did you beat ?
Yes it is a great feeling to beat the newer trucks with a lot more power... I think it makes them pretty mad I think the only reason I even competed with them is my weight and traction made up for my lack of power. I got up to 8400 lbs with 1400 of that hangin on the front. One other guy ran a few weights on the front but thats it, I think most of them didn't even weigh 8000. They were just a bunch of street/show trucks with some good power. I also aired my tires way down, i had 20 psi in the front and 30 in the rears, no one else seemed to be airing down at all and they were spinning like crazy. I think that was the trick cuz mine seemed to bite pretty good.

Yes brandon pulled too and ran the same tire pressures as me. He said it definately got traction cuz he finished off his clutch... it was smokin and sparkin worse than the logan pull, you could almost taste it in the air he said there was chunks missin so i'm not sure what he's gonna do now, he didn't get time to throw your 370s in cuz he had to put new U joints in his front end and barely made it in time.

after watchin my dyno and pull vids, my turbo cleans these pods up nicely to just a haze so I am thinking I do need more fuel... It seems to be a great running setup the way i have it now, this turbo lights real quick off the line and gets going quick off the line. I powerbraked it til about 10 lbs and my brakes weren't holding it back, it just wants to go then lights right up. I'll think about it. Do they run a lot better than pods??? if you wanna borrow my 2.8 turbo and run you can. when are you gonna pull again? I'm thinking ogden will be our next one, probably gonna skip tremonten.

There was a ton of duramaxes there, a couple from powerlabs and one guy I knew had a good running one. There was two dodges in my class, both common rails and one was the pink and black bully dog truck, I think i barely beat that one, from what people were tellin me it pulled 223' flat. There was 3 of us that were really close, the 1st place guy pulled 230 somethin but not sure who it was.

I'll post vids later today or tomorrow. I haven't had much time and I'm tryin to figure out how to get the stupid things off my phone and onto the computer.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 AM

my injectors dont outflow pods by much. too much fuel vs air at our elevation is no advantage. if your egts are hot enough stick with your set-up.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:30 AM

I figured it couldn't be too much. I can get it up to 1600* pullin and hit 1500 on the dyno so it still gets warm. It just seems to light and clean them up fairly well. Im thinkin ill put this bigger turbo on and run 2.8 next time if I get studs. Im wonderin if I can cram enough air in there it will burn all the fuel these pods are puttin out and clean it all the way up but I don't know. Id like to find out.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:15 AM

And here is the vid finally. Sorry took so long.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:11 AM

Awesome. ^
Old 07-24-2011, 04:14 PM

Well I made my 3rd hook of my career and for this season last night in Tremonten, Utah. This past week I through my Aurora 5000 turbo back on which is a 2.8" inducer. Thursday night I put some ARP head studs in and 60 lb valve springs so i could run 40+ lbs with this bigger turbo, did a few hot retorques and called er good. Loaded the truck up with about 3000 lbs (took some weights for my buddy) and drove for about an hour and half there, put 1500 lbs on the front and a few bags of cement in the bed to get right at 8000 lbs. Since there is only a 2.6 and 3.0 class here now I pulled in the 3.0 class with my 2.8 turbo. There was 4 trucks in the class and I was the first puller and pulled 258' good enough for 2nd place, It spooled fairly quick off the line for a 2.8 and cleaned my POD injectors up very nicely at 50 lbs of boost the whole way as you can tell...
http://youtu.be/WkQ43LNxrpg

Everything held nicely, no seeping head gasket and my stock trans is still goin! loaded all the weight back up and drove another hour and half back home, i am still very impressed with this old truck, nothin like a 1st gen!

My friend went after me and pulled 290 somethin and took 1st with his 800+ hp p pumped 24 valve monster with a 2.8 turbo. The next guy was a p pumped 12 valve but his timing slipped off the start and couldn't go. The next one was my friends brother with another p pumped 24 valve monster with a 3.0 turbo that couldn't find the right gear and couldn't get spooled so i got lucky and took 2nd place, if those other 2 would have ran good I'm sure they woulda beat me, but if your pullin ya gotta come to run, thats part of the game i guess.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:59 PM

Pulled for my first time today, in the 2.6 class. Made 26? . Good for 3rd to last place. The other two guys broke. lol I knew I wasn't going to do very well cause I didn't have any weights. I was just doing for the fun of it. I was bounceing so bad I could only use about 1/3 of my throttle. Andrew should be posting a video.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:28 PM

Yeah I'll get you video up ASAP, And by the way for your first hook ever it was not bad at all. You knew enough to let it settle in as much as it would and ease into the throttle.

BTW it was good to finally meet you face to face.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:11 PM

Heres the result Bryan.

Name:  Dodgepics204.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  92.6 KB

Name:  Dodgepics202.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  70.7 KB

Quick Reply: the 1st gen pulling truck thread