1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Injector pump woes. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector pump woes. Help!

Ok guys, My truck in the shop in San Antonio, Texas. The mechanic called me today and said the reason why the truck was running ruff is because the injector pump key is gone, I was replacing the timing cover gasket and was gonna replace the gasket on the backside of the timing cover case too so I took out two gears(stupid) Any way I never saw or messed with this square looking key hes talking about but maybe I jarred it and it fell out or something, but the mechanic says I need a new injector pump. He explained it to me that you cannot just go by another injector pump locking key, each key is made especially for each pump. All I know is he made it clear I need a brand new injector pump. Ive seen a few of you guys on this website that have had to buy new first gen pumps and what you had to pay for them. The highest price ive seen a boy pay for one new on this website is 400, and he felt violated. Ive heard people say that you can get these 1st gen pumps at case shops and maybe kubota shops besides the ones from cummins. Anybody got anymore information on these? I dont think the mechanic would screw me on purpose but I dont want to get sunk into a 600$ pump? Please help fast!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:02 PM

my bud paid around 2,000 for parts and labor
Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 PM

we wont be doin that.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:22 PM

I wish I could find one for $400 new. Injector pump shop around me told me about $1000-$1200. Look at most the sites that sell Injectors, and some will have pumps too. Usually around $850 + core is what I'm seeing. I gotta buck up and get one for my 89's pump I think I ruined, but I'll investigate on my own first since a core is a core.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:24 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...QQcmdZViewItem

Here ya go bub. Just did a quick search on Ebay myself. Not too shabby I think, 'specially since my local shop told me double that price to rebuild my pump.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by BurrisWill
Ok guys, My truck in the shop in San Antonio, Texas. The mechanic called me today and said the reason why the truck was running ruff is because the injector pump key is gone, I was replacing the timing cover gasket and was gonna replace the gasket on the backside of the timing cover case too so I took out two gears(stupid) Any way I never saw or messed with this square looking key hes talking about but maybe I jarred it and it fell out or something, but the mechanic says I need a new injector pump. He explained it to me that you cannot just go by another injector pump locking key, each key is made especially for each pump. All I know is he made it clear I need a brand new injector pump. Ive seen a few of you guys on this website that have had to buy new first gen pumps and what you had to pay for them. The highest price ive seen a boy pay for one new on this website is 400, and he felt violated. Ive heard people say that you can get these 1st gen pumps at case shops and maybe kubota shops besides the ones from cummins. Anybody got anymore information on these? I dont think the mechanic would screw me on purpose but I dont want to get sunk into a 600$ pump? Please help fast!

Let me get this straight..... the key on the injection pump shaft fell out? which would cause your pump to slip and basically not work. If in fact he is talking about the little metal key that locks the injection pump shaft to the gear, THEN HE AINT TELLING YOU THE TRUTH!!! i lost the key to my injection pump shaft on both my bros ve pump and my ve pump........ went down to a diesel shop and got a new one. I think the second time we lost it we got it at NAPA, now unless the mechanic is saying that the loss of the key buggered up the pump some how then all you need is a new key! They only cost a couple bucks

Jason
Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Banned

Location: anderson commiefornia oh ya you can keep the "change"
Originally Posted by 65fury
Let me get this straight..... the key on the injection pump shaft fell out? which would cause your pump to slip and basically not work. If in fact he is talking about the little metal key that locks the injection pump shaft to the gear, THEN HE AINT TELLING YOU THE TRUTH!!! i lost the key to my injection pump shaft on both my bros ve pump and my ve pump........ went down to a diesel shop and got a new one. I think the second time we lost it we got it at NAPA, now unless the mechanic is saying that the loss of the key buggered up the pump some how then all you need is a new key! They only cost a couple bucks

Jason
yes i thought that too when i read his post and napa man it is a wonderful place
Old 04-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by bigbaddiesel416
yes i thought that too when i read his post and napa man it is a wonderful place
That mechanic sounds kinda shady to me...

Jason
Old 04-09-2009, 08:51 PM

K. I just got off the phone with the guy, and he says that there is a posibility that he can get the key itself, just like yall are saying(which I find very easy to believe) and then he said he took out some bolt and nut pertaining to the pump and tried to start the truck. He said that something has turned out of place and his concern is that if he gets a new lock key that he will not know the exact place to put it. Anybody know what hes trying to tell me? Cause I dont understand.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 PM

I can't tell you exactly what he telling you. But I think either he got the pump outta time or the pump got out of time outta time after losing the key. I don't know for sure. I have a project going on and as soon as I finish it the next one in line for me is to teach myself the finer art of rebuilding a 93 5.9. And to learn the timing gear side--well teach myself all the timing stuff in the front and rebuilding a VE. Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:34 PM

I would have him pull the pump take it to a good pump shop have them time it give you a new key if your lucky he can time the motor install the pump then bam!! good as new.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BurrisWill
K. I just got off the phone with the guy, and he says that there is a posibility that he can get the key itself OH YA NOW (DUH), just like yall are saying(which I find very easy to believe) and then he said he took out some bolt and nut pertaining to the pump and tried to start the truck. He said that something has turned out of place and his concern is that if he gets a new lock key that he will not know the exact place to put it. Anybody know what hes trying to tell me? Cause I dont understand.
OK here's my 10 cents........
if he took the pump off and DIDNT turn anything (pump or engine) it would go back on the sane way if he took it off lost the key turned the pump shaft or if he did what you say he did that's his ******* mistake and i wouldn't pay a dime for it!! now that your lost time the engine needs to be on TDC #1 to fire and the pump needs to be on #1 to fire ===== TIMED
if he cant figure it out tell him to pull it and take it to a pump shop they will fix it and while its there have them TURN IT UP on his DIME
Old 04-09-2009, 09:51 PM

I would call a diesel specific shop in your area and get a second opinion. I don't know what your connection is to this mechanic, but it sounds like old diesels are not his strong point. Like was previously said, if the engine is at number one top dead center, and the pump gear is lined up properly to the timing marks on the corresponding gear, all you have to do is put the pump back in and rotate the shaft until it lines up with the key way. Try giving https://www.sourceautomotive.biz/index.php a call. Tell them whats going on and see if they can help. This shop has been very helpful for me, even when all I had was a question and I wasn't even buying anything.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:53 PM

well i think he did the ******* up thing your talkin about, if he can get the key tomorrow, is it that easy to tell him how to time the pump to the motor, engine(piston no 1 top dead center) then pump #1, what does that mean about the pump?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Banned

that its ready to inject fuel i believe

Quick Reply: Injector pump woes. Help!