12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

variable mechanical valet

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 01:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now your smokin' northslope!! Used as a "gate" in a partially closed position, the pressure would still build but slower, boost pressures aren't very constant driving around, so this may in itself provide adequate tempering of the boost signal for given usually short high, power producing boost. You ridea of using a valve as a bleed off is more stable and predictable. As the AFC system is a closed system without flow, if one were to bleed off boost prior to the diaphram, the sustained inner pressure would be reliably reduced and stable for a given boost figure. It would take fooling with it to make a broad acceptable setpoint for all around driving.

A while back I forgot to hook my AFC line up and let me tell you, it felt as though the throttle fought back at me....a definite hard spot. You could push through it, but it seemed almost like you were forcing something that was damaging, and forcing throug it yielded NO power!! Anyway, I like the bleed idea. Being an electrical guy, I think I would opt for an on/off valve attached to the exhaust side of a bleed orifice of the proper size, so as not to completely kill fuel, but make it "non-roddable" for those not in the special circle of piloting the mighty beast

Keep us posted on the mechanical R&D eh?

Chris
Old 03-13-2005, 01:45 AM

Just throw this in here. I have the valet switch from PDR. It works well but I cant tell a difference unless I'm 3/4+ throttle. I would imagine theres more of a difference on higher HP trucks.

Kinda wish I'd put that money towards laser cut DV's instead.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:55 AM

OK tell me this, the P-pumps are lubricated by oil right? So would it hurt anything by putting a valve in the fuel feed line to limit the flow to act as another form of a valet switch? When my fuel shutoff didn't open all the way it sure cut power. Wouldn't barely even smoke anymore when I gave it more than ample pedal off a stop sign. Ussually it leaves the intersection in a cloud. I didn't try to do it again, as I don't really know if it would hurt the pump or not, and I don't really have a wish to being paying for a rebuild. Just a thought.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Banned

yes they are oil lubricated, but the fuel is all that lubricates other internals unknown to me. I would be skeptical about dropping the fuel supply intentionally.