12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Unknown start issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unknown start issue

I don't see anything like I've got going on here anywhere so here goes my problem. My 96 suddenly died about a month ago and I discovered it had something to do with the batteries needing to be replaced. So I replaced them. But right after that, my truck suddenly wouldn't fire up. It would take me several tries before it would catch. I figured the engine was cold and decided to plug in the engine block heater and the truck would then turn over after being on it for a couple hours.

Problem is this became a massive problem when I took it on a road trip last week. The truck refused to turn over every time it was turned off and we ran errands. It was trying to crank each time though and then about 10 minutes later it would finally turn over each time. Again I figured it was just cold. But after a few more stop and go trips, the truck refused to turnover every single time unless it was parked in a decline (nose pointed down). It had plenty of fuel so that confused me and the engine was already warmed up. When I topped off the tank at a gas station, the truck then took 15 minutes before it would turn over. We ended up coming upon an accident later that night and I had to leave the truck running the entire hour we were stuck on the highway because I was afraid it wouldn't start again and then I would be a hazard.

The batteries got checked right after I put them in and they passed without a problem. But now I can't even drive my truck because I'm afraid to turn it off for fear it won't start again. I did not have any of these problems prior to replacing the batteries. The following day I went to start it, and nothing. It wouldn't turn over at all. The only thing that came on was the radio. It's been suggested it may be the glow plugs. I've owned a lot of vehicles in my time and I've never had one do this before.

Does anyone have a clue what may be going on? I need to use this truck and right now it's been sitting more than I have been able to drive it because of this problem. Once the truck does get going there are no problems with it.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's sort of confusing that you talk about poor cranking which would indicate a battery/starter/electrical problem then throwing some fuel related stuff.

If it's not turning over:
Just because the batteries are new don't assume they're good. I've had more batteries fail in the first month than in the rest of their warranty period.

Replace starter contacts.
Get 'em here> http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm
Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At first I thought it was fuel related, but after I watched my battery juice and lights get dimmer and dimmer in the cab as I fired it up, I was starting to think batteries. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Ok I'll take a stab at this...

If the starter is not engaging all the time, then there is an electrical problem. Starter, trigger wire leading to starter (mine went a few monts ago, rubbing on a metal clamp), ignition switch. If it gives you a fit some time, ie starter not engaging, try jumping out the large and small post on the starter with a wire/screwdriver/anything conductive to see if it spins. If it does and turning the key will not, then I'd say either relay/ignition switch is bad. If nothing, starter contacts could be bad?

Check batteries with a volt meter while running and while off. If motor is at all cool or it's cold outside you should see the voltage drop to battery level every few seconds, that's the grid heater cycling. Make sure a relay for that is not sticking, that will drain a battery pretty quick.

If the starter is turning the motor over and no "fire", check to see the fuel shutdown solenoid is working properly, it should move up and down fairly smooth by hand with power off, and should stay up if you leave the key on. Starter engagement pulls the solenoid up, key on holds it up (but will not lift it on its own). If that works but still won't fire, there could be fueling issues...clogged filter, bad lift pump...whole 'nuther topic.

You mentioned that one time all that came on was the radio. Nothing else at all worked? No lights, heater, blinkers....? Sorry but the description is sort of vague, more detailed information makes it easier to narrow your problem down. Never overlook the simple things too, check all battery/starter connections, grounds, etc. and make sure the thing is charging.