12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Truck running weird please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck running weird please help

Ok here is the deal, my 95 12v is having a problem. When im driving down the road (mainly when i get on the throttle and it mainly happens while im pulling a trailer with weight on it, but it is now doing it with no weight behind it) the truck will just cut off. What the heck could be happening? It runs fine any other time and this only happens every once in a while, but it started happening more often in the past week. I just did the governer washer mod a couple months ago but other than that i really havent done anything latley.
Just to let you know the mods on it are #0 plate slid half way, homebrew intake, 5" exhaust, boost elbow and thats pretty much it, oh the truck has 212,000 miles on it. If anyone can help me please let me know.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:21 PM

Sounds like the fuel filter is plugging up, have you changed it recently?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:24 PM

u mean cut off as in no fueling? so ur driving foinf 60mph and what happens? rpms drop to idle and u coast to a stop? just trying to get more info
Old 09-26-2006, 07:24 PM

Its been about 3,000 miles since i changed the filter, but ill probably try to change it tomarrow.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by mr T
u mean cut off as in no fueling? so ur driving foinf 60mph and what happens? rpms drop to idle and u coast to a stop? just trying to get more info
When i get on it it just shuts off. It seems like the fuel just cuts out but when it does it the ignition and everything cuts off (no lights, electronics, anything). Ill be cruising at speed and everything just shuts off. I turn the key off and then back on and it starts right back up, all this while cruising down the road, i dont even pull over. It was mainly doing it when i was taking off and getting on the throttle hard, with a load behind the truck but now its doing it while im just cruising down the road. This made me think that i maybe had a wire grounding out but since its doing it while cruising i dont know.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:54 PM

hmm definitely different...the power in the truck completely shuts off huh...bad ground wire?...check all your battery connections and grounds...check for broken or exposed wires touching any part of metal...if u had said that ur fuel just cuts out but everyhting is still on the id say its ur fuel shut off solenoid and the wiring to that
Old 09-26-2006, 10:23 PM

Yeah, you have a bad wire connection/electronic problem somewhere. It is killing power to the shutoff solenoid when it acts up, and that kills the truck.

Eric
Old 09-26-2006, 11:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've heard of the plates in batteries touching under hard acceleration in drag cars.... a friend of mine has been fighting a problem similar to yours on a mustang .... when he leaves on the trand brake it'll just shut off but as soon as it dies it kicks back going again ..... he changed the battery and it was cured..... make sure both batteries are good and not killing everything for just a secone.... just my .02
Old 09-29-2006, 09:16 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. Im thinking its an electrical problem, but i have been in, around, and under the truck and cant find any loose or bare wires. Im gonna keep looking though.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:47 PM

ok i have an update and i could still use some help. Now the fuel is the only thing that is shutting off. The lights and everything else stay on. So im thinking its either the shutoff solenoid or the relay to the shutoff solenoid. Has anyone else had this problem? Everything else is still the same as far as it cutting off and i can start it right back. So what do you think it is? Help me out.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:06 PM

switch relays, check to see if there is a circut breaker in the line that is acting up also.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:40 PM

ok another update, i switched relays and put on a new shutoff solenoid and its still doing it. Its only doing it now at 3/4 throttle or above. Before it was 1/2 throttle. Anyone got any other ideas?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The relay only comes into play during the solenoid lift up phase while cranking. The hold up phase which seems to be effecting you has no relay, just the key switch.
I would suspect a bad key switch ($30 at Napa) or the wires under your steering column cover are too tight and pulling apart at a connector when you tilt the wheel (common problem)

To others: never replace the shutdown solenoid unless it looks visibly burned up on the outside. The solenoid is a very heavy duty unit that rarely goes bad and will easily last the life of the truck.
The problem always lies elsewhere. The dealer loves to needlessly replace the solenoid, big money for them but the real problem still exists.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
The relay only comes into play during the solenoid lift up phase while cranking. The hold up phase which seems to be effecting you has no relay, just the key switch.
I would suspect a bad key switch ($30 at Napa) or the wires under your steering column cover are too tight and pulling apart at a connector when you tilt the wheel (common problem)

To others: never replace the shutdown solenoid unless it looks visibly burned up on the outside. The solenoid is a very heavy duty unit that rarely goes bad and will easily last the life of the truck.
The problem always lies elsewhere. The dealer loves to needlessly replace the solenoid, big money for them but the real problem still exists.
Im gonna check the key switch next and see what happens.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:03 PM

The next time it does it try and get it off the road and look at the solenoid and see if it is still all the way up. If it is it could be the pickup tube screen in the tank stopping up. Or it could be the prefilter that is before the lift pump stopping up.

Quick Reply: Truck running weird please help