12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not 100% sure, Im just getting as much info from my cousin as I can. But i'm not sure wgere he bought the pcm from. He said it was from somewhere here in Houston and the took the old one as core.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Rks1
Not 100% sure, Im just getting as much info from my cousin as I can. But i'm not sure wgere he bought the pcm from. He said it was from somewhere here in Houston and the took the old one as core.
Someone else can chime in here, but I was under the impression that you had to have the PCM flashed at a Dodge dealer after replacement.

Check with him to see if he took it to a Dealer.....

There may well be noting else wrong other than programming.

Infidel, anyone else, can you add to this?????????
Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 PM

Well I got around to pulling the guages today and as I was looking through the hole that the wire connectors go through I noticed a burnt wire in the main loom. So I started to remove the dash so I can replace it and in the process cracked the top portion in several peices as it was sliding out.

I'm ****** because mine didnt have any cracks now I have to relapce the whole top portion that connects to the bottom windsheild. These things are fragile as hell. I should have it completly out tomorrow so can really get to the harness to replace the wire. There is alot of the wire jacket that was burned and fused to other wires, but so far the wire seems for the most part intact.
The wire is black/ white if anyone knows what it is off hand and also how many plugs are there for the guage cluster? mine had the two large ones and a spot for a smaller one near the top. I dont see a wire to connect to the smaller one anywhere.

And how mush will a used dash run?
Old 02-18-2010, 03:47 PM

These dashes(along with a lot of other Chryslers) get dried out and brittle from the heat, suns UV rays and chemicals people put on them like Armorall. Finding a used one that is in good enough shape to remove from another truck and install in yours without breaking is very unlikely. Most are already cracked or will.

The two "red" wires you were talking about, look to be the intake air heater grid wires. One may be for the fuel heater, but you should be able to trace them down the fender to the two large heater relays. If you are in Houston, you will probably never need to use them, as it will probably never get cold enough that the truck won't start without them. I don't need mine, but use them anyway.

Don't try to tackle all of the issues at once, pick one and fully investigate it/repair it and you may fix more than one issue by doing so. Once that is fixed, move on. (once you get the dash wiring fixed)

The wiring diagrams in the FSM are the best ones out there to diagnose the issues you're having with.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rks1
And how mush will a used dash run?
You are in Texas, right? Going to be hard to find a good dash there.

Bunch on Ebay, from close fitting covers to good used, there is one in Texas as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-97...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-97...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95...Q5fAccessories

I have 3 of them, but the shipping would kill you........
Old 02-18-2010, 05:20 PM

It looks like i might need the whole thing, as I was taking it out of the truck the front face cracked in a few places, I might be able to repair it, but I'm mainly concerned with finding this problem. Looks like the black and white stripped wire was a ground. The wire jacket was burned and fused to other wires all the way from one side of the truck to the other. It was even burned all the way to the under the drivers dash in the footwell, the one that connects with the bolt to tighten the connector down.

If anyone is parting out a 97 or has the whole harness (uncut) that goes under the dash laying around, I sure could use it.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:30 PM

What are the chances that the actual tach inside the cluster might be bad? And does anyone have a used cluster for a 97 auto for sale?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:42 AM

I think the motors themselves are swappable from the speedo to the tach. You could try swapping them to see. You could also try to just swap the wires on the cluster plug. That would tell you if all of the circuit is good/bad.

I wish I had wiring diagrams for your year. I'd like to look.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 PM

Well i'm gonna take it up to the dealer tomorrow and have them run diagnostics and see if the pcm needs to be reflashed.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 AM

have a 96 2wheel drive will it work
Old 03-08-2010, 01:11 PM

Well, got a call from the dealership last week and they said its, the crank sensor and I tell them the crank sensor is new. They said ok we will keep checking so they call today and say the alternator needs to be replaced. They did a full load test and it came up bad. I took the alternator off and took it to advanced and had it tested and it came up good. The dealer said it was under charging.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a typical Dodge Dealer....................
Old 03-09-2010, 10:02 AM

Yeah, I hated to take it to a dealer.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Man, I wish you were closer, I would like to take a crack at that one.

Dumb question, do you have a local independent mechanic that specializes in wiring issues?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:37 PM

Yeah, I have been looking for one but no luck.

Quick Reply: Trans problem