12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

torque converter questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque converter questions

Is there anyway to tell without tearing the transmission down if it has a lower stall coverter I steped on the brake and reved the engine with the trans in revers and it started pulling below 1000 rpm and was breacking the rear tires loose around 1500 I do not really know any history of the truck at all any ideas? Also I put my code scanner on the truck and checked the tps sensor my readings were .2 volts at idle and 1.9 at full throttle is this about normal I pulled it off and rotated it and it was real sticky so I washed it with electrical cleaner and it worked smooth after that then I checked the voltage. Cleaning it seemed to really help it shift better. Thanks for all your help this sure is a great informational site. I've been trying to get the abs light to go out also to no avail aparently you need a special scan tool to hook up to it and my autoxray will not plug in to the connector anyone have any ideas I have checked all the wires and bled the entire systom I did find quite a bit of air in it the brakes work a lot better now but the abs light is still on and after you drive a short distance the brake light will also light.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:torque converter questions

The action of your TC seems about normal. Though I have power braked mine (in drive), I don't really remember the exact numbers.<br><br>On the TPS, it's my understanding the closer you can get to 1.0 volt at idle, and 5.0 volts at WOT (engine not running), the better off you are. Even a couple of tenths more is ok. There are supposed to be a couple of sleeves you can remove to get a little more travel.<br><br>As for the ABS light- Mine stayed on right after the ******* did my electrical recalls. They said they went all over it several times, called Star and everything. Finally they found a hole rubbed in the small plastic vacuum line that comes off the tee in the brake booster line. You might take a close look at it as well as the rubber connections at the ends.