12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Subtle jumping in steering ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Subtle jumping in steering ?

Hello All,

I am trying to pin down an annoying jerking I am feeling when on twisty/bumpy roads I feel in the steering wheel.

The front end is tight I am told as I have replaced many front end components including: track bar, outer ties rods, drag link, sway bar bushings. The shop says everything looks good but my front axle U_joint on the passenger side is due to be replaced.

I have noticed that the movement is more prominent when I gently apply the brakes and I am turning kinda sharply. The steering linkage I have also tried to see if excessive play but I cannot see any play there either.

I do not want to start randomly replacing things in the hope it will solve the issue. I did notice fore and aft movement in the lower shocks but probably normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed that if I grabbed the brakes hard at a stop the truck would rock forward and back several times- friends watched and it wasn't the shocks as they were new 5100's so I replaced my control arm bushings and the sway bar bushings with poly energy bushings- been rock solid since. But as everyone says, always take a second look at that track arm as the smallest amount of play makes the truck feel like crap-- could be play your steering box
Old 05-29-2013, 08:59 AM

Thanks joem,

I have replaced the sway bar bushings with far better ones and the end little ball joint connectors on it as well. The control arm bushings look rather crappy I am sure they need replacing as but wouldn't the alignment go out if they were bad?

My truck steers pretty straight with minimal left right play.

Could the front axle U-joint be the cause of this?
I retorques the TB yesterday to well "Alot".

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a problem like yours that was related to lack of anti-slip modifier in the rear differential. The front end "crabbed" when making tight turns at low speed. It felt like I was in 4 wheel drive. The dealer figured it out immediately.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 PM
JKM

I have a front u joint partially seized up, does the same thing. Jack up the front end with the tires turned to one side, spin them by hand and you will know if that's the issue. I keep greasing mine as I don't have time to replace it right now.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:52 PM

Buying this truck from a negligent original owner I am thinking it is time for someone else to put some time and $$ into it. I like the DD engine but I do not like the handling in general. The lack of knowledgeable shops on this truck besides the *********** here if another factor.

Thanks for all the help from the various ppl on this site in particular Infidel is a great asset to this site.