Starter rebuild issue - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Starter rebuild issue

Old 05-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #1  

Starter rebuild issue

I just took apart the starter for my 94 cummins with 120k on it. The starter is the factory denso and it stopped working (had to smack it to start) and while taking it apart the armeture had these markings. I know nothing about what is good or bad but i want soneone who knows a thing or 2 help me. It smells burnt also. Please help if you know any info and also where i should buy a new armeture or if i should just get a new starter....
Sir_Timn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Timn View Post

I just took apart the starter for my 94 cummins with 120k on it. The starter is the factory denso and it stopped working (had to smack it to start) and while taking it apart the armeture had these markings. I know nothing about what is good or bad but i want soneone who knows a thing or 2 help me. It smells burnt also. Please help if you know any info and also where i should buy a new armeture or if i should just get a new starter....
balance
johnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #3  
Administrator

What John said.

Looks good to me, the starting issue was with your starter contacts, put in the oversized ones Larry B's sells........
patdaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #4  

Thanks

Thanks guys for helpin. I just cleaned the armeture and the housing. They were pretty nasty. But after that the starter worked perfect. Starts strong and no issues (so far)
Sir_Timn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #5  

By any chance, did you happen to count the number of commutator segments on that armature? If I did a current ramp on my starter and knew the number of segments, I could determine starter RPM.
texasprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:00 AM   #6  

KEEP that Denso and have it rebuilt if it goes out again. Don't take it in to any of the auto parts stores and use it as a core. The Denso's are just too valuable and long lasting.
Robert Rausch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rausch View Post
KEEP that Denso and have it rebuilt if it goes out again. Don't take it in to any of the auto parts stores and use it as a core. The Denso's are just too valuable and long lasting.
X2 on the don't use it for a core!
oliver foster is offline   Reply With Quote