12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Smokey joe

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smokey joe

Hello I am new to diesels so if I ask a foolish question please excuse me. I have a 97 5.9 cummins 5 spd. 2wd w/268K miles, the truck runs fine, but started smoking heavily (white) and using oil. No leaks observed. No bubbles observed in coolant, blow by is moderate. Question Do I just chalk it up to a engine failure and replace the engine or is some testing to isolate the cause worth while? I have also found that the Vac Pump has failed. I usually do my own wrenching, but I'm a little tentative on Diesels. I have decided that if it needs a new Head I will go with a complete engine replacement..(When the cash can be diverted from my wife) I will buy a Reman engine Can someone recommend a supplier? All advice appreciated.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jstapler313
Hello I am new to diesels so if I ask a foolish question please excuse me. I have a 97 5.9 cummins 5 spd. 2wd w/268K miles, the truck runs fine, but started smoking heavily (white) and using oil. No leaks observed. No bubbles observed in coolant, blow by is moderate. Question Do I just chalk it up to a engine failure and replace the engine or is some testing to isolate the cause worth while? I have also found that the Vac Pump has failed. I usually do my own wrenching, but I'm a little tentative on Diesels. I have decided that if it needs a new Head I will go with a complete engine replacement..(When the cash can be diverted from my wife) I will buy a Reman engine Can someone recommend a supplier? All advice appreciated.
i would do a compression test and go from there!
The following users liked this post:
jstapler313 (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
from boats.com

White smoke can be caused by either excess fuel or an internal coolant leak in your engine. This is a case where you’ll probably want to call in the diesel pros, but here’s a diagnostic tip:

While the engine is smoking, hold your hand over the exhaust outlet for 20 seconds or so. Don’t restrict the exhaust, just attempt to coat your fingers with the smoke. Then hold your hand up close to your face. If you smell a strong diesel odor, the white smoke means the extra fuel is in such excess that it can’t even begin to ignite (as compared to black smoke, where partial ignition has occurred). Typically, this white smoke indicates a serious fuel injection problem.

If you don’t smell a strong diesel fuel odor, touch one of your fingers to the tip of your tongue. If you get a sweet taste in your mouth, stop right there: An internal coolant leak is indicated. (The sweetness is the antifreeze in the coolant, which is poisonous if you were to drink it.) This is also going to require the diesel doc unless you’re very handy yourself. What’s indicated is a blown head gasket or, in a worst-case scenario, a cracked cylinder head.
jstapler313 (05-10-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I may say that if it would be "just a head" (which is very rare) I do think that pulling the head on a Cummins Dodge is a walk in the park compared to the V8 gassers regardless of manufacturer.

Get a factory service manual and go for it- you will find complete rebuild instructions inside, but I don't think you'll need those-
No coolant loss is good-
White smoke - bad, but could be just a bad injector- pull them and get them tested.
Using oil, blowby and a vacuum problem... The vac pump has it's exhaust into the crankcase, a bigger leak in the vac system leads to increased blowby and oil consumption.

Anyways, in my opinion (an European opinion for what it's worth) - Check first, repair or rebuild with a good machine shop or get a genuine Cummins refurbed engine.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Just pulled a leakdown test it confirms crank case leak. Pulling head tomorrow to have it checked. Thanks to all.
nonrev (05-17-2018)