12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

New Emissions standards in 2010 ???? Paticulate filter required ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Emissions standards in 2010 ???? Paticulate filter required ??

Helle Everyone,

I live here in Arizona, and was just talking to a neighbor of mine who had a 06 5.7 that he just traded in on a brand new Cummins. I asked him why as I heard there were a lot of problems with them etc.

His response was that from what he was told in 2010 they are drastically changing the emissions standards, and making the very strict, and the older trucks are going to have to be retrofitted with additional equipment that was going to be costing upwards of $4K.

I have a 97 12V and my intention was to keep this truck for a very long time.

Are those of us with the older rigs in trouble??? Has anyone else heard anything like this ?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-03-2008, 03:33 PM

I don't believe they are going to force older trucks to retro-fit a re-gen unit since they never required smog pumps or the like on older rigs before, jmo.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:48 AM

Sounds more like a dumb rumor. Vehicles have never been asked to retrofit in the past. As far as I know nobody has ever been forced to put fuel injection on a carbed vehicle by the government.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:30 AM

I sure hope that you guys are right, and I am inclined to agree with you both. The owner said he was told that the emissions standards were going to be held the same or made even more strict on the diesels etc. I am wondering if they were just tyring to get his 5.9 ??? Which was an 06
Old 05-04-2008, 07:48 AM

It might be a good idea to call one of those emission testing places in Phoenix and ask. I sure hope they aren't going to but who know anymore. I never thought I'd see fuel prices this high....ever.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I know California has plans to require retrofitting older offroad diesel engines including tractors, generators, etc. But last I heard the state was going to pay for the retrofitting.
Haven't heard any plans for on-road vehicles though.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:23 PM

I dont want that crap on my truck even if the state pays for it. The reason I bought a 97 was so I didnt have all the electronics and emmisions bs.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:13 PM

LOL, its just not possible.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
I know California has plans to require retrofitting older offroad diesel engines including tractors, generators, etc. But last I heard the state was going to pay for the retrofitting.
Haven't heard any plans for on-road vehicles though.
This still sounds way overboard. Even in the last 5-10 years emission devices have been put on off road diesels. I can't see the government chasing down the 10 year and older equipment to add emissions controls. And what a huge hassle because alot of these older engines were not built for emission devices in the first place. The logistics just don't make sense.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:22 PM

Just like seat belts and older gas engines, they aren't going to require older vehicles to retrofit parts to meet new laws. Especially given the budget crisis, I don't think they will make it a priority to pay for expensive catalytic converters, etc.

Also, I read somewhere (I think on here) that even if they start smog checking diesel pickups in CA, it's going to be on 1997 and younger trucks.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:59 AM

no way they will require retrofits- never happened for any reason in the past in any of the 50 states- never going to happen. They legally can't do it. By law a motor vehicle only has to meet the emissions and safety standards in effect at the time of manufacture- they have never even considered requiring older vehicles to be upgraded- their more likely to target them as unregisterable and refuse to allow them to be operated on-roads like they have recently tried doing with many classic and vintage vehicles. (mind you they have met lots of resistance and had almost no success...)
Old 05-05-2008, 03:14 AM
RCW

There is some truth to what the guy said, but it only applies to certain vehicles. In most of our cases the guys with the 2004-2006 trucks will face the music, the older trucks will be exempt from forced testing and conversion.

The retrofit is a Federally mandated program that was created when the 2007 revised diesel emission laws were adopted and the grandfathering clauses tossed out.

The reference for the rule is:
ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
40 CFR Part 86
[EPA-HQ-OAR-2004-0072; FRL-8539-3]
RIN 2060-A-069

It is very much real, and each state has a requirement to adopt those standards for all commercial diesel vehicles by 2014. This includes tractors and heavy equipment used in agriculture and construction. There is a fund that will assist the heavy duty diesels with any conversion or retrofitting costs, but by no means all of the cost.

The light duty rule that applies to non-commercial use is here (most of us guys):
40 CFR Parts 85 and 86
[AMS-FRL-5823-7]
RIN 2060-AF75

Control of Air Pollution From New Motor Vehicles and New Motor
Vehicle Engines: Voluntary Standards for Light-Duty Vehicles

The really strict regulations and expensive test procedures will apply to the 2004 and newer light duty diesels. The problem will be that most light duty diesels were not equipped with the required reactors until 2007, and as the law is written the 2004-2006 light duty diesels will have to be updated with a reactor, and that is about ten grand.

There is no fund that will help with the conversion of the diesel orphans produced from 2004-2006. The owners will be stuck for the full freight, and this includes everything from diesel VW's on through our trucks.

This is certainly something I would keep in mind if I were in the market for a used headache.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by RCW
There is some truth to what the guy said, but it only applies to certain vehicles. In most of our cases the guys with the 2004-2006 trucks will face the music, the older trucks will be exempt from forced testing and conversion.

The retrofit is a Federally mandated program that was created when the 2007 revised diesel emission laws were adopted and the grandfathering clauses tossed out.

The reference for the rule is:
40 CFR Part 86
[EPA-HQ-OAR-2004-0072; FRL-8539-3]
RIN 2060-A-069

It is very much real, and each state has a requirement to adopt those standards for all commercial diesel vehicles by 2014. This includes tractors and heavy equipment used in agriculture and construction. There is a fund that will assist the heavy duty diesels with any conversion or retrofitting costs, but by no means all of the cost.

The light duty rule that applies to non-commercial use is here (most of us guys):
40 CFR Parts 85 and 86
[AMS-FRL-5823-7]
RIN 2060-AF75

Control of Air Pollution From New Motor Vehicles and New Motor
Vehicle Engines: Voluntary Standards for Light-Duty Vehicles

The really strict regulations and expensive test procedures will apply to the 2004 and newer light duty diesels. The problem will be that most light duty diesels were not equipped with the required reactors until 2007, and as the law is written the 2004-2006 light duty diesels will have to be updated with a reactor, and that is about ten grand.

There is no fund that will help with the conversion of the diesel orphans produced from 2004-2006. The owners will be stuck for the full freight, and this includes everything from diesel VW's on through our trucks.

This is certainly something I would keep in mind if I were in the market for a used headache.
That will get shot down as unlawful faster than you can say "treehugger".

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
no way they will require retrofits- never happened for any reason in the past in any of the 50 states- never going to happen.
Calif required a smog retrofit in the early '70s on all older vehicles, cost about $20 installed. Hard for me to remember exactly what it did. Was spliced into the radiator hose with a couple vacuum hoses going to the carburetor.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:46 PM

I remember my 68 Pontiac had to have a NOX box installed to pass smog in California - this was in the early 90's. It kept the distributor from advancing, and the timing was set at 0 degrees if I remember correctly. The car ran like crap, knocking and pinging on a warm day. My Nox box lasted 2 days on that car, then it was sh** canned. Smog shop charged me $20 for the kit and 20 labor to install. What a crock.

Quick Reply: New Emissions standards in 2010 ???? Paticulate filter required ??