12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Lots of weird noises.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of weird noises.

Well I still have that dead thud type noise from my front end. Mostly when I'm turning into a parking space or turning out of the driveway. Phox suggested my controll arms were lose so I yanked on them a bunch and they seemed real tight. I cant chek the toruq because our 3rd craftsman tourq wrench failed us. (by the way dont even buy craftsman tourq wrenches. I worked for sears they have serious prolbmes with them. I only got them because they were free. I'm going snap on now I have to pay for them ) Also my dad and I both have a clicking type noise from the rear ends. Mine usualy happens if im not using the pedel at all then give it some gas. Also my dad just changed his wheel cylinders today with napa parts and now the abs light is on. I don tthink the break light was on just the abs and it makes a rotating squeek noise. Mostly when backing up or when theres power to the drivetrain. The noise is faster then the wheels. So its not a wheel spinning noise.
Any ideas?

thanks
Chris
Old 11-23-2004, 12:49 AM

There is a Dodge recall for something on the front end steering or suspension. I just found out on mine and the dealer won't give me a copy of the recall or explain much to me. Just order the parts and call me when they are in was what I was told.
The way I check for loosness in the front end is to have someone turn the steering wheel 1/2 turn left, then 1 turn right, 1 turn left and so on while I watch for side to side movement between the fender and tire. This checks all the bushings for wear and weakness. Check the radius arm bolts for torque. Just make sure they are tight. Next jack up the front axle and put it on safety stands and turn the steering wheel full left or right and spin the wheel and feel for tight spots.
Your Dad's truck sounds like you have a slug of air in the system. ABS does not like air. The clicking noise in the rear end sounds like it might be a U-Joint starting to get dry and failing. You will probably have to drop the drive shaft to check for a stiff or tight joint because there won't be any movement in the joint until it spits out the needles. Good luck

Howard
Old 11-23-2004, 05:17 AM
jgn

Can't help you on the front end but the ticking in the rearend sounds like a bad u-joint. It could possibly last for several more miles or it could be just a couple of days, if you replace one make sure to replace it with one that is greaseable.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:39 PM

we've decided its the U joints. So who makes really strong u joints? Also who makes good driveshafts? Since his from the factory is way out of wack.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think my front end clunking is kind of like a binding noise. And I dont know if it ever happens unless the wheel is turned.. usualy more then half way? good times. Maybe I need to replace the little dana 60 with a rockwell 2.5ton lol
Old 11-24-2004, 08:26 PM

Did ya check your cardan u-joints (I believe that's what they are called). Mine have some play and therefore I get the binding noise as well. Needs to be replaced soon but need to find a competent mechanic around here...
Dave