12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

losing power on uphill

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
losing power on uphill

My truck just started losing power when I go uphill, drops from 70 to 50 with the pedal all the way down. I have a fuel pressure valve that shows that my pressure is lower than normal. I'm going to replace the fuel filter and clean the air filter. Is this the right thing to do? I know it's been a long while since I did either of these things....

thanks,
rebecca
Old 11-23-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yes start there first
welcome to DTR fill in your signature so we know what kind of truck and mod you have
Old 11-23-2010, 11:00 AM

thanks, here's a signature,
rebecca
Old 11-23-2010, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
now that we know you have a p pump 12v you can also check the fuel strainer next to the lift pump also ,the screen could be clogged up some but start with the filter
Old 11-23-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Since you have a fuel pressure gauge the rest is easy.
Instructions> http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1996/14-07-96.htm
Old 11-28-2010, 02:22 PM

same problem

I am having the same problem with my dad's 97. We Just replaced the rubber boot on the fuel shut off solenoid and he started using marvel mystery oil as a fuel additive. On a recent trip he said his truck was running like a champ pulling his 26 foot motorcycle trailer then he shut it down at his destination and when he started it back up he noticed a huge drop in power. He had to get off the interstate because he couldnt maintain 50 mhp. We have changed the fuel filter and checked the air filter and still no help. We will check the lift pump screen tomorrow and check the fuel shut off linkage adjustment. Any other thoughts? I use to have a 97 i remember having to replace the banjo bolt for something. Could that be an issue.? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by wagontrain131
..... he started using marvel mystery oil as a fuel additive.
If I were to use an additive, which I don't, I sure wouldn't dump a mystery substance into the tank. If it is a solvent like Sea Foam who know what broke loose.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:43 AM

Infidel's link is spot on proven info to follow when checking for low power.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There was a study someone posted here that compared many different additives.
Marvel Mystery Oil was the only one that actually reduced diesel fuel lubricity.
I'd think twice before using it.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar problem this summer. The day that I was leaving on a trip I was low on power on the way home from work. I changed the fuel filter and drove around the block. All was well so I headed out of town on my trip. On the way back I couldn't maintain highway speed. When I got home I cleaned the fuel screen and got all my power back and haven't had any trouble since. The screen did not look dirty.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:34 AM

Loss of power.

Have a 95 dodge 3/4ton 12v, went somewhere no problems went to leave and no power, Changed the fuel filter no change cleaned the screen and took out the fuel heater,no change had the preasure tested at dealership and it was a little low so i changed the lift pump and had the timming cheaked at the dealer they said it was right on and since the p-pump and injectors were redone 60,000 miles ago from that dealer,I don't know what to think , They think the p-pump needs to be redone again another $1,200 but never had the preasure tested again after the new lift pump but they told me to start there, Did and no change, Anyone have any idea's would be helpful Thank you.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
AP Contractors, don't mess around at the dealer, this isn't a mini-van. Find a diesel mechanic and take it there.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by AP Contractors
Have a 95 dodge 3/4ton 12v, went somewhere no problems went to leave and no power, Changed the fuel filter no change cleaned the screen and took out the fuel heater,no change had the preasure tested at dealership and it was a little low so i changed the lift pump and had the timming cheaked at the dealer they said it was right on and since the p-pump and injectors were redone 60,000 miles ago from that dealer,I don't know what to think , They think the p-pump needs to be redone again another $1,200 but never had the preasure tested again after the new lift pump but they told me to start there, Did and no change, Anyone have any idea's would be helpful Thank you.
I have the same truck. Over 140,000 I've had to replace fuel lines, the lift pump and the fuel heater in the quest to maintain fuel pressure. But I've never had to do the other pumps, or injectors.

I had all hoselines done by a performance diesel shop with high quality materials. It's worth every penny IMO. All hoses - transmission, coolant, intake, everything.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by AP Contractors
Have you checked the shut off solenoid? I've heard of other trucks being condemned because of one only partially lifting, which will give the same symptoms. Take the solenoid off completely and take it for a spin.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:12 PM

No power

Thank you guys the dealer is a dodge dealer and there diesel mech worked on it and he said he checked the shut off valve and said it was ok but who knows, Just seams wierd no leaks any where that I see was going to Install a # 10 plate and see if I get a little improvement, Thinking of droping the tank because the sender isnt working good then thought i would change the sock and most likely the fuel lines it's just strange if i feather the fuel pedal it seams ok but if i get into it a little then the power is no more just seams like a fuel feed problem

Quick Reply: losing power on uphill