12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

KDP-Whoa that was close..

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Donemen
Did you check the timing before changing it? How does it run now in comparison. I have almost the same setup as you and recieved the snap-on kit last week,but my toyota is torn apart in the garage,and with with temp's in the 90's it is hard to find motivation. Thanks justin

Yes we baselined the timing and it was stock at 13.5° or 5.1mm. We then moved it up to 5.59mm which puts us at 16°. The change is nice, crisper response, faster spoolup, less smoke, all around nice upgrade.

My front crank seal was pooched anyway so I had to remove the cover, and Marc made the tab out of scrap steel. The tab was just a 10 minute fix in the grand scheme of things for the day.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The bolts alone have too much slop to keep the case properly aligned, that's why there are two dowel pins.
That they are there for assembly lineup only is a fallacy, think about it, how hard is it to line up the case on an engine sitting on a stand?
As far as removing the pin instead of tabbing it, good luck, if it was in there loose enough that you could pull it out it would have already fallen out.

The reason to take care of the pin isn't because it happens much at all, it's because that if it does it costs so much to repair. Basically you could say the same thing about carrying insurance.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jason & Shane, I'm glad to hear your trucks are running a little better.

My cummins dealership thought I was full of #### when I talked to the service manager and my parts guy about the dowel pin. Then the phone ran over Christmas holidays a few years back and it was Cummins on the phone. The dowel pin had popped out on one of their service trucks. I dropped by to see the damage... They have since repaired a few more and usually charge about 12 hours labour plus parts - ouch!

So, as some have stated, this is a repair to avoid a potential pain in the a$$ down the road.

Marc
Old 06-28-2006, 10:31 AM

Is there a part number for a kit from Cummins? I heard they make a kit for it instead of the TST kit...

The process sounds too complicated for me to do, anyone in Ohio want to drop by?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Bullet
Is there a part number for a kit from Cummins? I heard they make a kit for it instead of the TST kit...

The process sounds too complicated for me to do, anyone in Ohio want to drop by?

Nonesence

it isnt complicated at all, just alot of basic wrenching with a 10 mm socket and tq wrench just read on and u will see...

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...repair+TST+kit

Rick
Old 06-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tx is right, its not complicated at all. You just need some time, some tools and off you go. The toughest part is replacing the seal (if you choose) in the front cover that requires some special time and patience with a home made or drill/bearing press.

Its just time consuming, but you get to admire the quality of internal toughness of the Cummins in the process. The geartrain on this engine rivals that of HD industrial machinery and makes any of the other "auto" diesels look like Briggs and Stratton. After you see the gear train, its no wonder they can get 800 Hp reliably out of these engines with little problem.

If you think this is a PITA, you should see the KDP for the GMs.. Its a dowel on the main cam gear that shears off, just try and repair that one!!!! I should try to get some comparo photos for the gears of the GM And CTD, it would look alot like the con-rod photos. Big heavy duty gear on right, CTD. Little pot metal gear on left, GM...
Old 06-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Digital Bullet

To my knowledge TST make the only kit, but it is a good one, with good instructions.

And Rick is righ, as usual, it is really an easy job, sounds scary, but it's all pretty basic wrenching.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cummins has a service bulletin that details tabbing the pin and has all the parts including the tab washer.
I wouldn't be surprised if TST gets the parts in their kit from Cummins.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Cummins has a service bulletin that details tabbing the pin and has all the parts including the tab washer.
I wouldn't be surprised if TST gets the parts in their kit from Cummins.
Can you please link me the info?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's a link to Cummins database about the KDP repair process. Made my tab myself and locktited the bolt just to make sure. http://www.cumminsdatabase.com/read.php?id=111
Old 06-28-2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
The bolts alone have too much slop to keep the case properly aligned, that's why there are two dowel pins..
Um, are you saying there is another pin to tab?

BTW, Marc I NEED some more HP this thing is still a dog
Old 06-28-2006, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Um, are you saying there is another pin to tab?

BTW, Marc I NEED some more HP this thing is still a dog

Wish u were in Tx Doc,

id be more than happy to help u with the upgrades, even if u were in corpus or what not, i love rustys hamburger stand ROAD TRIP!

Whatcha done to ur 12V dr?

Rick
Old 06-28-2006, 10:29 PM

Hey Rick,

Havent really done anythig yet. KDP fixed (thanks Marc), Timed to 16 degrees (thanks Marc), and 4" exhaust. So far, thats it. My guages are sitting at my brothers place, in Montana and I have to pick them up asap (the "idiot" was supposed to drop them off at my place but "forgot").

I COULD use a road trip to Corpus.....hmmmm
Old 06-28-2006, 10:31 PM

I tabbed mine with the tab from cummins. It was kinda chessy and didnt fit well. I ended up bending it into the hole to make sure it stayed in place if the bolt ever loosened up a bit. I like the look of the ones available from most of the perfomance houses better.
The TST kit is reasonable. All you really need is a new seal, tab, loc tite, and a longer bolt. I just bought it from Cummins and saved around $20. Yhe only hard part is getting the new front seal installed. It may be worth the money to have a shop press it in for ya.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
i love rustys hamburger stand ROAD TRIP!
Rick
You need to try Boat and Net, great, basic, cheap, fried seafood. It was where my dad ate a lot when he lived there, he and I went back a few years ago, went there, It was awesome.

Quick Reply: KDP-Whoa that was close..