12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Installing Trans, Line Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Trans, Line Help

I'm installing a Goerend Trans over this weekend. I noticed last night that the fittings in the transmission were meant for those who don't have the stupid plastic clips, but rather the lines that thread in.

First, i want to save others time when searching for these parts. It was a little work, and one of them I can't seem to find unless I enter the part number directly in PartsPRO SE instead of the dealer #.

The One for Transmission to Engine Trans oil cooler (this one HAS the temp port for a temp sensor):
Dealer Number is CH05011244AA and the cost is more than Napa.
Napa Number is BK 8275295 Cost is $67.99

The one from The Aux. Cooler to the trans (the cooler in the front)
Dealer Number is CH52028673 and the cost is more than Napa.
Napa Number is BK 8275296 Cost is $28.99

Then I bought some 1/2" hose to slit and protect the new lines.

Napa does NOT carry a line from the Engine cooler to the Aux cooler in the front. I am not sure what I am going to do about this one. The line is fine, but I'm leary of this plastic pieces of junk and my $4k investment in a transmission.

Now on to the question, the part CH00118752 - Engine cooler fitting. I don't have this, but it is necessary to connect the transmission to Engine Trans oil cooler line to the engine cooler since I have no fitting in the cooler right now and the new line requires a fitting that would be male on both ends. Does anyone know what size thread both ends on this part is, as I am thinking of just using a brass fitting from the hardware store to fix.

Also, any input on fixing the plastic clip issue on the other line that goes from the engine oil cooler to the aux cooler up front? Should I just barb it out of the cooler then put in a rubber line and clip the $$$$ out of it? Or just leave it until I can replace the line from the ***********?

Thanks!

Joel
Old 02-28-2009, 10:03 PM

i went thru the same thing i got a 3/8ip X 1/2" compression with lock ring integrated from the hydraulic shop. Cost about 11 bucks per. Its a positive connection that will not rattle apart, course if ya ever have to remove the ferrule or lock ring you will have to cut the pipe, its a one shot deal.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:03 PM

I also bought a Goerend trans and ran across the same thing. I just took the fittings from the old trans and changed them out with the ones in the new trans. It aint rocket science Also I would not worry about the plastic clips. My95 has 362xxx miles on it and no problems with the clips, ( I agree they are cheesey) but like you said protect the lines where they rub with hose. Ive been stranded by the road more then once and that is the reason for the GB trans is oil leaks from the lines and a dead stock trans same reason. 9-10 places of contact caused leakage. One was the engine blow by tube rubbing on the line.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by joelayan

Napa does NOT carry a line from the Engine cooler to the Aux cooler in the front. I am not sure what I am going to do about this one. The line is fine, but I'm leary of this plastic pieces of junk and my $4k investment in a transmission.

Now on to the question, the part CH00118752 - Engine cooler fitting. I don't have this, but it is necessary to connect the transmission to Engine Trans oil cooler line to the engine cooler since I have no fitting in the cooler right now and the new line requires a fitting that would be male on both ends. Does anyone know what size thread both ends on this part is, as I am thinking of just using a brass fitting from the hardware store to fix.

Also, any input on fixing the plastic clip issue on the other line that goes from the engine oil cooler to the aux cooler up front? Should I just barb it out of the cooler then put in a rubber line and clip the $$$$ out of it? Or just leave it until I can replace the line from the ***********?

Thanks!

Joel
The MOPAR # for the steel line from the engine cooler to front cooler is 52028674
It was a bugger to find in the star parts system and NAPA cannot cross reference.

To order the rubber lines (with steel clips) that go to the front aux cooler order the re-call repair kit they offered for the gasser trucks. Much less mark-up on re-call parts kits than regular parts. (I'm looking for the kit number.)

DTT offers a pricey, but durable braided steel line to replace the rubber cross-over line line from engine cooler to the trans line.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by cstroup
I also bought a Goerend trans and ran across the same thing. I just took the fittings from the old trans and changed them out with the ones in the new trans. It aint rocket science Also I would not worry about the plastic clips. My95 has 362xxx miles on it and no problems with the clips, ( I agree they are cheesey) but like you said protect the lines where they rub with hose. Ive been stranded by the road more then once and that is the reason for the GB trans is oil leaks from the lines and a dead stock trans same reason. 9-10 places of contact caused leakage. One was the engine blow by tube rubbing on the line.
My Goerand transmission came with a tag on the fittings that said "DO NOT TOUCH, TRANSMISSION CASE MAY CRACK" So I did not touch. I figure thats due to people over tightening the NPT fitting... I use this truck for towing my 5th wheel and taking the family camping. It is worth a $100 in transmission line so that I do have to pay some turd in the backwoods a gazillion dollars to drop my $4k investment and go through the expensive of shipping, waiting, receiving from Dave a renewed trans because I was a little to frugal with some lines. Dave knew what Year truck I had, so I am sure there is a good reason it came with 2001 line fittings. I remember reading a post here that Goerend does this on purpose due to line/fitting failures.

So, while the though crossed my mind to change the fitting out for the stupid plastic quick connect fitting, It was only a brief thought before I decided to fix it right the first time. What I am trying to figure out now is the rest of the lines without killing the wallet to much more. Dealer wants ANOTHER $300 today to get the other lines I can't get from Napa.

Joel