12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

injecter pump/fuel lift pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injecter pump/fuel lift pump

Hello all, Replaced the lift pump for the ticking noise in left front wheel well, after that the noise was gone and the truck started after priming and bleeding the injecters, ran well. sat for a week, started and went to town and the ticking noise is back, full tank of fuel. Any ideas???
2) Found a mechanic to adjust the valves, would it be a good idea to have him set the injecter timing at the same time? and what benefit would this have? Thanks, Gene
Old 09-10-2005, 07:55 PM

Why did you change the fuel pump? Was it for the ticking? Did you start with a new overflow valve first? They do and can make a ticking sound. Has the valves ever been adjusted? If not then it is time and if the mechanic is capable then yes the timing would help with power and economy. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 09-10-2005, 08:05 PM

I bought the truck at 90k and I do not know if the valves were ever adjusted.
The fuel pump noise lead to a no start condition which another diesel owner told me it was probably the pump, no knowing myself about diesels I replaced the pump. Where is the overflow valve and how hard is it to replace it? Can this cause a no start condition? Thanks, Gene
Old 09-10-2005, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gene
I bought the truck at 90k and I do not know if the valves were ever adjusted.
The fuel pump noise lead to a no start condition which another diesel owner told me it was probably the pump, no knowing myself about diesels I replaced the pump. Where is the overflow valve and how hard is it to replace it? Can this cause a no start condition? Thanks, Gene
Read thru this and you will be way ahead on the overflow valve info faster than I can type the info and it is in way more detail than I can type. http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/trouble...p.htm#Overflow Your truck with the mileage if the factory overflow is still on there you are getting the most out of it and it is time for a new one,as I said earlier they will and can tick. The valves are past due for a adjusting also. Also about the mileage you state the fuel lines are getting rotten and will cause hard start and no starts also. Time to spend some money and labor on your truck. The overflow valve can be bought from Marty Tompkins 1 888 734 7349 and the fuel lines from http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm and also check his starter contacts and parts as also in your case if the original starter is still in it, it is also time to look at the factory thin contacts in it and it is easier to change them out as you have it out to change the rotten fuel lines that seem to go about 90k and up. Goodluck,,Rick