12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Ignition bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition bypass?

Hey yall.
I ask this question here because I dont know enough about these trucks (dont even own one yet) to know if the wireing harness is differant for the 12v from the 24v. Since I'm looking to get a 12er I figured I'd be better off posting it here.

Anyway, on my current Ford PSD I was able to isntall a switch, one side led to a particular wire under the steering colum and one side let to another wire. When I would flip the switch it would basicly short the two wires together. With this done I could remove the key from the ignition and the truck would keep running. It was very usefull for making quick trips into a corner store while in a differant town or in a big city and such because it allowed me to keep the engine runing and take the key with me. With out the key the steering wheel would lock, so even if somebody broke into the truck they couldnt even take it out of park (auto tranny). I was wondering if there's a way to do the same with a 12 valve Ram?

If I posted this in the wrong forum I appologize.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:37 PM

Re:Ignition bypass?

Yes, this can be easily done, but not from under the dash. You need to rig a switchthat will keep the hold-in coil of the fuel solenoid powered when you turn off the key. Get +12V from your battery, put a 10 Amp fuse in the line and run it through the rubber grommet in the firewall near the power brake booster to you inside switch. Then run it back from the switch through the firewall and splice to the light green/ black wire on the "fuel heater relay" on the firewall (two relays on one bracket). This wire goes on to the hold-in coil, but I think it changes color. When the switch is turned on while the engine is running, the key can be removed. If the switch is opened, the engine will shut down and cannot be restarted without the key.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure this would bee good for the charging system, turning the generator with the ignition off. Just something to look at. You could do what I did, cut the key off so you can't see it and put it in the switch. Looks like there is no key there but the thing will run. <br>On my new one, I just leave it run with the key in the ignition and keep the key ring in my pocket. Lock the door and go do what I need to do. I never put the key ring in my pocket, the inside key stays in the truck, and the key ring stays in my pocket. Also, get yourself a mag key holder and stashon the truck somewhere. Saved me twice in the past.<br>Just my two cents worth of sense.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:48 AM

After sleeping on it, I see that you would be best to jump out the key switch itself from battery to &quot;hot in run&quot;. This will keep all your accessories running. Open the underneath of the steering collumn and find the heavy wires that come from a rectangular plug on the left side near the wheel. You need a heavy switch and wires to handle 30 Amps and jump the red and green wires with your switch. No fuse required.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:21 PM

Dieseldude, I've done the whole &quot;extra key&quot; thing and all before but find the bypass much more conveniant for me. The biggest advantage that I like about it over keeping the key in the ignition and a spare in the pocket is that with the bypass, when you remove the key the steering wheel locks, more or less disabling the truck to most would be theifs. Sure, they can brake a window and steel all my goodies inside, but at least the truck would be safe.<br><br>Neal C, thank you. Your second solution sounds like the one for me. That's basicly what I did on my Ford.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, that's cool. Just passing along what works for me. I had a set of switches in and old Chevy I use to drive years ago. It was a set of five switches that had to be placed in the proper position for the truck to start. They didn't steal the truck but broke in and stole everything out of the truck including the $340 CB, the tach, and the 8-track (yep, 8 track) player.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:22 AM

CT,<br><br>You could go a step farther and install a turbo timer. They are digital countdown timers that let you remove the key, keeping the truck running for the set time to let the turbo cool off.