12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Identifying a 12 valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
If it hasn't been done, KILL THAT KDP NOW!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
For tires...I would go with a "E" rated tire...Just because these engines are heavy and also...you will have a camper on your truck...

I have HanKook E rated tires on my truck...and really like them...But there are others, that guys really like
Thanks man, Ill take your word for it. Im calling my tire shop In Durant Okla, In the morning so he can order them.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
If it hasn't been done, KILL THAT KDP NOW!
Thanks man, I will check in to that, Id never heard of that until you mentioned it. I did some research to learn what KDP meant. I will probably have to take it and have it checked out.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Royce Willard
Thanks man, I will check in to that, Id never heard of that until you mentioned it. I did some research to learn what KDP meant. I will probably have to take it and have it checked out.
Don't "check it out", tab it before you drive it again.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:49 PM

Ill getterdone

Originally Posted by mtdoragary
Don't "check it out", tab it before you drive it again.
I sure am glad I asked if there was anything that needed to be checked out, I would have had no Idea. Im contacting one of my friends who owns a autoparts store and shop right now. Thanks a million Guys.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Yep, you don't need to pull one of my stunts.........

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ght=whackamole
Old 06-06-2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
For tires...I would go with a "E" rated tire...Just because these engines are heavy and also...you will have a camper on your truck...

I have HanKook E rated tires on my truck...and really like them...But there are others, that guys really like
I'm tire shopping guys I don't know which would be best 225 or the 245 R16. I found the Hancook E rated tires. How tall tire is best for mileage? And how much is too much tire. Ill be mostly highway traveling long distance. And Ill have a slidein camper. What tire would you go with folks?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Administrator

I'm tire shopping guys I don't know which would be best 225 or the 245 R16. I found the Hancook E rated tires. How tall tire is best for mileage? And how much is too much tire. Ill be mostly highway traveling long distance. And Ill have a slidein camper. What tire would you go with folks?
I run the 235-85-16's, about 2" taller, and I have no issues with 3.54 gears. They are narrower than the stock 245-75's though.

I like the taller tire, throws off mileage calcs and speedo by 4.6 percent. ( about 2 MPH at 60 )
Old 06-06-2013, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
I run the 235-85-16's, about 2" taller, and I have no issues with 3.54 gears. They are narrower than the stock 245-75's though.

I like the taller tire, throws off mileage calcs and speedo by 4.6 percent. ( about 2 MPH at 60 )
The 235-85-16 Is 2" taller than a 245-75-16 E ? Is that correct?

And what do you think of the cooper tires? Im having trouble finding the Hancook Brand Diesel Dave mentioned. Ive always used Michelin But Im tired of paying 220 dollars each for them.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Administrator

The 235-85-16 Is 2" taller than a 245-75-16 E ? Is that correct?

And what do you think of the cooper tires? Im having trouble finding the Hancook Brand Diesel Dave mentioned. Ive always used Michelin But Im tired of paying 220 dollars each for them.
Yep, 1.8" or 2" will vary somewhat with the brand.

I like the Coopers, mine is 4X4 so I run ST's on both ends. If you think you will need the traction, you could run ST's on the rear, they dig like crazy. I am lucky, I have a shop about 40 miles away that really takes care of me, just under 600 bucks for 4 mounted and balanced. I doubt I could get a set of Michelin's for 220 each......
Old 06-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michelin tires are very good...I think they are the top of the line as for tires..

You could even check into the Nittro tires....Guys here have them...And like them..

It's all personal choice when it comes to tires.....

Some guys have one brand and love them...The next guy does not like them..
Old 06-07-2013, 12:24 PM

Michellins are expensive, but I get nearly twice the mileage out of Michellins than any other tire.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:26 PM

Michellins are expensive, but I get nearly twice the mileage out of Michellins than any other tire.
Yes I currently have a pile of the Michelin's at the house from my f150 I usually change them out before they are completely spent. But they are all 17 inch and since Im about to sale the ford and throw all the cash at my Dodge they will be useless to me. I guess I could sale them real cheap since a few of them are very good. When I got ready to go to the G Canyon I bought new tires for the ford. Michelins are the best tire Ive ever used hands down. The reason I say that is because since 2006 Ive never had a flat tire, Never had a blowout, And never walked outside and had a flat tire. The Michelin plant is only a few miles from my house and I have a lot of friends and family who work there. But they still cost me 212$ a piece when I buy them. I was scared to ask what a HT E rated 245 75 r 16 would cost me. I guess it may be worth asking though because it may be cheaper than the 16 in e rated tires.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:44 PM

I always price a Michellin against the two tires it will take to last as long as the one Michellin.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:00 PM

I always price a Michellin against the two tires it will take to last as long as the one Michellin.
Your right man. And I should know that by now. I just figured the E rated tire would cost twice as much, And since Ill be traveling I didnt want to have to run it slick trying to get my money from it. But a little man inside my head is telling me I just made a mistake. I took it for granted the E rating would drive the price way higher than what I payed for the 17 inch michelins for my ford. It may have been cheaper because its a 16 inch tire.

Quick Reply: Identifying a 12 valve