12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Identifying a 12 valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Redlinear
It's a 98. Check the title. Build date will be earlier due to the difficulty of building a 98 model truck in 99 or 2000.

$6k is not out of line for any cummins powered ram. Depends on condition mostly.
Condition was bailing wired together and oil all over the motor which had over 300,000 hard pulling miles on it. broken glass bald tire, muffler wired on, seats torn , floorboard covered in caked on food and coffee, inside filled with dirty oil field clothes. paint was terrible. gear shifter missing. With all that said I bought a one owner 1995 model 2500 extended cab in imaculant condition, cold air, no cracked windows , no torn seats, very clean motor, no leaks, radio sterio works. no dents, everything tight 12 valve with 220 thousand miles for 3800.00 dollars today on dallas craigs list. Ill have the pics up tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
LOL, from my cold dead hands....and then you will have to do a cage match with my son for the right..... But keep your eyes open, they do come up for sale, I had to do with my Auto truck for almost 3 years before I found my true love.
I found a 1995 12 valve in very good condition for 3800.00 lol, Can you believe it. It was on Dallas Texas Craigslist under private sales. I just got it home. Its clean and tight and sounds and runs great. Ill have some pics up in the morning.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Royce Willard
Condition was bailing wired together and oil all over the motor which had over 300,000 hard pulling miles on it. broken glass bald tire, muffler wired on, seats torn , floorboard covered in caked on food and coffee, inside filled with dirty oil field clothes. paint was terrible. gear shifter missing. With all that said I bought a one owner 1995 model 2500 extended cab in imaculant condition, cold air, no cracked windows , no torn seats, very clean motor, no leaks, radio sterio works. no dents, everything tight 12 valve with 220 thousand miles for 3800.00 dollars today on dallas craigs list. Ill have the pics up tomorrow.
Sounds like a really good deal. Good job!
I was just trying to answer that 1st question. $6500 for a clean truck. (remember that?)
IMO: $6500 is not out of line, but, it all depends on condition. There isn't really a book that a person can go by to get a value on certain older vehicles. Vehicles with a "following".
Older Cummins truck are one of those vehicles.
You can buy a 96 for $1,000, or you can buy one for $20k plus. Depending on condition...either of those prices could be considered a deal.
There's just no "set in stone" value guide a person can go by.
Jeeps are the same. And there are others.
Unlike old muscle cars, originality doesn't seem to hold them to a price standard. (it doesn't help or hurt an older Cummins truck).
Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I found a 1995 12 valve in very good condition for 3800.00 lol, Can you believe it. It was on Dallas Texas Craigslist under private sales. I just got it home. Its clean and tight and sounds and runs great. Ill have some pics up in the morning.
2 thumbs up!

Auto or stick? If auto, it would be ( to me at least ) the best year to have, the 47RH was the last year to not have the silly electronic governor pressure garbage, yea it works well, but just another thing to go wrong.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:41 PM

I was just trying to answer that 1st question. $6500 for a clean truck. (remember that?)
IMO: $6500 is not out of line, but, it all depends on condition. There isn't really a book that a person can go by to get a value on certain older vehicles. Vehicles with a "following".
You can buy a 96 for $1,000, or you can buy one for $20k plus. Depending on condition...either of those prices could be considered a deal.
Unlike old muscle cars, originality doesn't seem to hold them to a price standard. (it doesn't help or hurt an older Cummins truck).
Yes sir, I understand that now, There is so many out there in varying conditions. And when your a beginner like me its hard to make a decision. These dodge trucks definitely hold their value. Just the cummins alone adds thousands to the price. I found some nice clean low mileage dodges at rock bottom prices untill you click on it and it says hemi/ or gas engine lol, And then all it looks like is a nice shiny gas gulper and you immediately navigate away from it. This truck I found was a blessing from God. There is no component on this truck that does not work. I could not believe it. I mean ac/ cruise control/ stereo / dome lights/ no torn seats, no cracked or even chipped glass/ doors open and close like new truck, grill is nice, The only thing I see that I need to work on is shocks and a little play in steering column. I have everyone of you people on here to thank for schooling me because before I came here I didnt know jack, Id never even heard of a 12 valve engine. or a 5.9 diesel .
Old 06-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
2 thumbs up!

Auto or stick? If auto, it would be ( to me at least ) the best year to have, the 47RH was the last year to not have the silly electronic governor pressure garbage, yea it works well, but just another thing to go wrong.
Its a stick but it shifts like a dream, I like autos myself , but I couldnt pass on this truck. Im thinking the engine is worth what I payed for this truck. I added photos to my gallery but it says they are pending approval , And it wont let me upload any pics to this or any of my posts or threads. I dont understand why because it was letting me upload pics earlier. It keeps asking for the url/ it doesn't give me the option to Browse for a photo, And I have 13 pictures to show you.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good for you...Nothing wrong with the 95...And the stick is even better...

4x4??
Old 06-04-2013, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
Good for you...Nothing wrong with the 95...And the stick is even better...

4x4??
No its only 2 wheel drive and thats kind of a blessing and a curse I know. Its less to have to maintain and saves on fuel Im sure, However 4wd is good in canyon country when on dirt roads or Ice. And I do drive in the country and in pastures a lot because I have a 2 different farms about 5 miles apart. But when its real muddy I use a 4wd Kubota tractor and a 4wd polaris 4 wheeler. Im thinking the stick would be a blessing in the mountains wouldn't it? seems the auto was hard on my f150 trucks breaks. In this truck 1st gear is like a granny gear. I wonder why my pictures in my gallery are still pending approval? And why cant I post one here and now? I wonder why its not giving option to browse for pics/ Instead it asks for a url/ I dont know the URL for every picture I have. Can anyone tell me whats wrong?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I Just use photobucket to host picts
Old 06-05-2013, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by joem
I Just use photobucket to host picts
Funny thing is I was posting epics on here. And now that I found and bought my first diesel it wont let me even show you guys. Ive uploads pictures for years. It just wont let me do it here. Ive only been a member a few days and ive only added 4 pictures so I don't think I have broken any rules. I messaged the administrator but haven't heard back yet.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:30 AM

Here is a picture of it maybe lol.
Attached Thumbnails Identifying a 12 valve-1779_605141519505321_1408939816_n.jpg   Identifying a 12 valve-603116_605141679505305_768841148_n.jpg   Identifying a 12 valve-970150_605141632838643_48002567_n.jpg   Identifying a 12 valve-935941_605589209460552_683440527_n.jpg   Identifying a 12 valve-580593_605142509505222_893767059_n.jpg  

Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Good lookin truck!

Hard to tell for sure, but looks like the PO maintained it well, when you see things like the Fel-Pro VC gaskets, and gates hoses you generally have a better feeling.........

I predict you will be in love for many years with that one.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:34 AM

Looks really nice...
Old 06-05-2013, 12:20 PM

Thanks man,

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
Looks really nice...
Now Im just need to know what all I should check out, And what kind of oil , filters, and anything I need to buy or check out. Im buying new shocks , Tires, What kind and ply tires should I buy? I want to get all this done before I have a new paint job done on it.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 PM

Now Im just need to know what all I should check out, And what kind of oil , filters, and anything I need to buy or check out. Im buying new shocks , Tires, What kind and ply tires should I buy? I want to get all this done before I have a new paint job done on it.
For tires...I would go with a "E" rated tire...Just because these engines are heavy and also...you will have a camper on your truck...

I have HanKook E rated tires on my truck...and really like them...But there are others, that guys really like

Quick Reply: Identifying a 12 valve