12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Gov arm adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=infidel]Sliding the plate can make a big difference depending on which plate it is, stock plate included. Perhaps the worst example I've seen was a '97 towed in with melted pistons. No gauges, stock plate slid all the way forward, the gov arm went under the plate and got pinned. Owner said the truck ran hell till he hit a big hill then started coughing aluminum and black smoke out his tailpipe.

This makes me a little nervous. I just adjusted the gov. arm on my 97. I couldnt tell where the arm was striking the plate. I just turned the screw till i felt resistance and then tightened up the lock nut. It idles much smoother now, has tons of power and smoke off the line, but hardly any mid range power. Im gonna roll the star wheel back a little to see if it will reduce the smoke. I have a stock plate that is about right in the middle of the afc. I mean its not adjusted forward all the way. I hope i dont melt the pistons.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mytrucksaslug
This makes me a little nervous. I just adjusted the gov. arm on my 97. I couldnt tell where the arm was striking the plate. I just turned the screw till i felt resistance and then tightened up the lock nut. It idles much smoother now, has tons of power and smoke off the line, but hardly any mid range power. Im gonna roll the star wheel back a little to see if it will reduce the smoke. I have a stock plate that is about right in the middle of the afc. I mean its not adjusted forward all the way. I hope i dont melt the pistons.
Something is wrong, you shouldn't have felt resistance. I'm thinking the arm was way under the plate the resistance was felt as you pulled it tighter under the plate.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:56 AM

check the gov. arm position with the fuel shut off in run position or pulled up then move throttle till arm just touches to see where arm hits..
Old 09-18-2005, 04:24 PM

now im nervous. guess i'll have to pull it back apart and see if i can tell whats going on. A couple hours work is better then a broken truck.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by got...DIESEL?
for what it's worth, and please shed some light on this one if anyone wants too, but I noticed once when I was running the engine with the AFC off (don't ask why) that the arm was riding about 3/16" up higher on the plate than when the engine was off. I didn't know whether to attribute this to gov springs at idle speed, or something else. I also noticed that the arm would not travel to the plate unless the throttle was stabbed. A slow rev wouldn't bring the arm out. So....like any tinkerer would do, I re-adjusted the plate to the arm while the engine was running, giving the throttle quick stabs to bring out the arm. The stabs were quick enough not to raise the rpm before the arm swung out...giving me a good visual on where the arm was hitting. I have adjusted everyone since the same way, and have yet to bury the arm under the plate. I run a 100 plate and after the adjustment I noticed a lot better off idle response, probably because the arm was actually hitting the ramp and not zero land above it, as I believe was happening before. Again, take it for what its worth, but that what i found.

Maybe this is why "pros" claim to have to do it on the stand...something in the way they set it with a simulated idle arm position??
Any further comments on this Thanks.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:29 AM
Banned

I don't want to mislead you Dshiftt.....everyone else on earth...well almost, adjusts it the other way. I stumbled on to this by accident and it has worked well for me. If you don't feel comfortable with it, stick with popular methods. Several months back i posted about this method and got ZERO replies as well. I am curious though, for someone else to try it and see what I mean though. I have set mine, my brothers and my dads all this way with excellent results.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:26 AM

Does oil fly out when the engine is running, Or anything else to be careful with?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was wondering the same thing??
Old 09-20-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by P.O.R.
check the gov. arm position with the fuel shut off in run position or pulled up then move throttle till arm just touches to see where arm hits..
Well, i tore it back apart and re-checked it with the new info you guys told me about. Turns out the arm was sliding WAY under the plate and who knows, i may have been on my way to some serious engine damage if it werent for the advice from some of you guys. its now adjusted properly. I didnt notice any improvement other then a smoother idle. The peace of mind is the best part.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:36 AM
Banned

no oil comes out...now if you firewall it I'm sure it will as the gov will be tossing it around quite a bit, but at idle it don't.