12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

got my ctd today...couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got my ctd today...couple questions

I got my ctd today, it's a brown/silver 97 quad cab, 4x4, 5sp, it has leather interior, fog lights, the updated sound and the cd/cassette player...10,500 and it has 147,000.

my question is that it does not start like other CTDs, it cranks 3 or 4 revolutions before it starts..it seems like my buddies trucks start after not even 1 revolution.. I'm letting the grate cycle and all that good stuff...thinking it could be rotted lines? It's not leaking fuel though. Could it be the overflow valve? Where is it, how much is a new one?
Old 07-29-2005, 10:42 PM

crap..this probably belongs in the 12v forum...sorry mods
been flying too much today and am going on 2hrs of sleep....just curious of what could possibly be wrong before i head back out to Michigan tomorrow...
Old 07-29-2005, 10:44 PM

I'm gonna bet your idle speed needs turned up. I had the same problem with my 97. I will look for that link for you.....

Tom

by the way, Congratulations on YOUR new CTD!!!
Old 07-29-2005, 10:53 PM

once it starts the idle is right around 750/850rpm...
Old 07-29-2005, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck does the same thing. I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying I'd also like some answers. My idle speed is plenty high and really pulls against the transmission when I put it in gear. My dad's '90 would start with the blip of the starter, even when his idle speed was terribly low.

I'm thinking the best place to start is my return line.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Normally with a fuel line leak it will take much more than just 3-4 revs to get it started, more like 15 seconds or more after the truck has sat for awhile. Starting will be normal once warmed up.
Problem could be low fuel pressure due to plugged filters or a bad overflow valve or the timing has slipped.

Unless you have access to a fuel pressure gauge setup just replace the overflow valve
You won't find a better price than here

Precision Diesel Injection and Turbo Inc.
Marty Tompkins
888-734-7349
$30 + $7 shipping and handling.

The object in the lower left corner is the oil fill cap.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:27 AM

Ya cartman, my '97 used to start with just the touch of the key, now it takes 3 or 4 revs, I am still trying to figure it out. I think this problem started some time after I replaced my fuel filter. I checked the pre screen, the adjustment on the fuel shut off solenoid,took the fuel filter back off& checked ( which seemed to help, for a while, but now back to problem). I haven't got a chance to replace overflow valve, or lift punp yet. The idle seems about the same as always.I am sorry I can't help you, but you are not alone. I know there are a lot of very knowlageable people on here, so we will probably get the answers we need. What i am doing untill I get it figured out is resting my foot on the accelerator pedal while starting. Helps a little.
I slid my torque plate and housing forward yesterday. It did not help the way it starts, but man what a difference in the way she runs. WOW!!! This is amazing!
Well good luck, and let me know, if you find the problem.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:42 AM

My truck

will crank for a long time as well, maybe bout 5-8 seconds then it will start, what i do is the same thing Marv does, as i crank it, i give it a lil pedal and half a turn later it fires up.. Idle is set at bout 650 with AC on. I need to time my rig, and i need to change the OFV as well... Till then this seems to work well.. ihave no leaks, in my fuel so that eliminates that speculation..

Tx
Old 07-30-2005, 03:52 PM

Same here - my 97 takes about 8 revs before she kicks over by herself but if I tap the pedal when I hit the key its instant. I thought it was my idle because it was low but after having it set at the dealer, still same issue. They did find a broken throttle linkage which covered by a recall and that helped but seems to be fuel is not getting in there fast enough. I don't understand injection well enough yet to speculate beyond what anyone else has already said.

I am glad it is not an isolated issue but I look forward to figuring it out. My wife doens't give me a lot of time to work on the truck (because of her business) so I have to find it when I can get it

Bausman
Old 07-30-2005, 10:17 PM

Please let us know if you find out

My starter is about to take a poop.. i had it rebuilt, big mistake im seein...

Tx
Old 07-30-2005, 10:40 PM

Ya thats what I'm worried about to Tx, my starter isn't in the best shape either. I need to make an order to Larry B. But I think if it was starting the way it was supposed to, it would last a long time. I will keep digging.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:59 PM

well, I've made it home. The journey was close to 600 miles and I averaged approx 20.13MPG...Half of the tank was with the AC on high on the interstate with a dirty air filter. 1 quick stop to home depot and advanced auto parts for a big *** K&N clamp-on fixed my dirty problem. Just need to make the heatshield. It's got the textbook o-ring leak at the vac pump, and the rear of the oil pan seems to have some drizzles of oil. Probably a common thing again. I guess I'm going to start by fixing the o-ring leak, then tabbing the KDP. I was planning on fixing the clunky rear u-joint and straight piping the exhaust at the same time. Oh, and Im going to put an overflow valve in it sometime around when I do all of it too....
Old 08-02-2005, 09:17 PM

Let us know if it starts any better with the new overflow.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:42 AM

Mine has the same problem, always has.. Timed, replaced O/F valve, fuel lines..

I just don't look at it as a problem anymore. After doing some calling around, I was told that it is likely a P7100 calibration issue. The gov. arm in the P7100 is supposed to go to a certain position (either when the shutdown solenoid opens or it parks when the engine is shut down, I dont remember) and if it doesn't, harder starting results. Pump calibration costs $$$ though.

Call Marty Tompkins (listed above in this thread), he'll fill you in with the details.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:44 AM

you guys may be in need of new batteries...your terminals may also be corroded...your starter might be getting chewed up and slipping a bit....in most guys with their timing too advanced they have trouble starting...and the overflow valve

Quick Reply: got my ctd today...couple questions