12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Gaskets with "The Right Stuff" or just "Right Stuff"

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaskets with "The Right Stuff" or just "Right Stuff"

I was able to locate all the leaks on my motor so I will be replacing the gaskets on the front cover, gear cover, side cover, oil cooler, transmission pan and power steering gasket. I have seen that alot of people recommend "The Right Stuff" but I wanted to know if i should use it with replacement gaskets or by itself? If I use it with the gaskets do I put the sealant on the gasket and let it set for a day or straight on the metal and let it set for a day? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In general, I like to either use a dry gasket by itself, or make a gasket entirely out of RTV.

The only time I would use both is if it was a situation where you are having a hard time keeping the gasket in place, during an install, in which case I would use a couple smal daps to keep it in position.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:48 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by chad.taylor.fsu
I was able to locate all the leaks on my motor so I will be replacing the gaskets on the front cover, gear cover, side cover, oil cooler, transmission pan and power steering gasket. I have seen that alot of people recommend "The Right Stuff" but I wanted to know if i should use it with replacement gaskets or by itself? If I use it with the gaskets do I put the sealant on the gasket and let it set for a day or straight on the metal and let it set for a day? Thanks for the help.
if the gasket is NOT used as a shim ( some bearing retainer housings with a snap ring on the outside of the bearing will not seat to the case and use a thick gasket to fill the gap) you can use just the RTV . make sure that both surfaces are CLEAN !! use brake cleaner, acetone, or lacqer thinner to clean the surfaces and not leave any oil residue. put a THIN bead of "the right stuff" or hi-temp red RTV, and assemble the parts a.s.a.p do NOT let the RTV set up before assembling the parts. this way the RTV will glue the parts together and have a leak proof seal. if you let the RTV set or skin over it will not glue the parts and you`ll have a leak. if you MUST use a gasket use a SMALL dab of RTV on both sides of the gasket and smear it all over the gasket with your fingers and quickly assemble the cleaned parts with the gasket. I prefer to use only "the right stuff" or Hi-temp Red RTV with no gasket to dry and shrink.