12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

explane stuff

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
explane stuff

Can somebody please explain to me what torque plates,governer springs,the different level governer springs,differnent livel torque plates mack 4 injectors,So basically what does the different numbers mean?
what would a person need to make 700hp out of a twelve 12v? List everything and not just edm4 put the brand and model for eveything Thanks!
Old 08-14-2005, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
700 RWHP on a 12V..

YEOWZERS.... i do not know how to get you there... But i can at least get you started on some of this.. bear with me now..

Torque plates.... ok this is a torque plate right here... https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat=500&page=1

More commonly reffered to as fuel plates, they come in different numbers to explain how "aggressive" (for lack of a better term at the moment) that they are 10, 8, 6, 5, 0, and 100, zero being a flatt plate that bombards the pump with fuel, and a 100 being a ten plate curve with no top end defueling, much like the zero.. The one you see there is my banks plate, screwy yes, i know, i dont get it myself. that plate goes in the P7100 injector pump, It goes under what is called the AFC housing, which has a little starwheel on it, the starwheel can be accessed with the removal of the hex dealy using the the right hex head size plug, and u loosen it for more smoke, and better lower end, and tighten it for the inverse. Use a good screwdriver.... furthermore... You will see four screws there where the starwheel is, two that are flatt, one that is possibly a breakoff screw that can be a real PITA to remove, take a hammer and good screwdriver and bang the tar outta it, it will come off, if that fails, left hand drill bit... Looking down the driver side, the top left hand is the breakaway, and the top right is a regular screw as well, the bottom two are 8mm bolts and you need to get around to one that is in the back of the AFC housing that holds that fuel shutdown solenoid in place...

Governers Spring Kits.. Come in 3 or 4 thousand RPMS, these replace the little governer springs in the injector pump, Stock, the 12V ram defuels early, these kits allow you to fuel harder to either 3 or 4 thousand RPMS before defueling starts, they also widen the powerband niceley as well... With the 4K kit, you also need to replace the valve springs if im not mistaken, because the stock ones will start to "float" around 3700 rpms if im not mistaken...

Mach 4 injectors... those are supposed to be the top of the line injectors for a 12V engine, I know that F1 diesel might have those, but im not too familiar with them, they give a substancial HP increase over the popular 370 injectors, but u need some serious turbos and serious fuel to utilize them to their full potential..

My guess for 700 RWHP (u might also wanna look at the ultimate hp list on the competition forum for some ideas)

Injectors (serious injectors)
Headwork (sleeve, port and polish etc)
Twin turbos (BIIIGGG TWINS)
Water/methanol injection
Pump Timing
Aggressive fuel plate
Better air intake
ARP headstuds to hold everything down
transmission work
Governers spring kit
exhaust
Cam
exhaust housing update

and most important.. A good set of gauges, Boost, 0-60, pyrometer, and fuel pressure...

Sorry thats all i can think of,

here is the link for u to start

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...5&pagenumber=1

best of luck

Tx
Old 08-14-2005, 12:53 PM

TxDiesel007, let me guess, you stayed at a holiday inn last night!

Nice explanation/write up. I just woke up (worked all night) so I am not even gonna throw anything else in there right now, other than tranny work needs to be done right away.

Look at my mods, the plate is as far BACK as you can go, and only about 26 lbs of boost, and my tranny will slip when I goose it. So while all the other stuff is allot of fun, you have got to do something with the tranny!

Otherwise, just wanted to say nice job on the write up!
Old 08-14-2005, 05:14 PM

Thanks that was an awsome explantion Im smart and know everything know!
Old 08-14-2005, 05:29 PM

700 hp is a BIG goal. Going much past 500 hp gets expensive real fast. Probably be around $15 k before your done. Of course this will vary depending on how much work you can do yourself.

a Fass probably wouldnt hurt either
Old 08-14-2005, 07:58 PM

BIG delivery valves are necessary also. either lazer cut or the standard 191's that are in the bigger engine pumps.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kd460
TxDiesel007, let me guess, you stayed at a holiday inn last night!

Nice explanation/write up. I just woke up (worked all night) so I am not even gonna throw anything else in there right now, other than tranny work needs to be done right away.

Look at my mods, the plate is as far BACK as you can go, and only about 26 lbs of boost, and my tranny will slip when I goose it. So while all the other stuff is allot of fun, you have got to do something with the tranny!

Otherwise, just wanted to say nice job on the write up!
LOL!!

nah its sunday, aint much to do, had everything else done, and i love to help people out... I made some edits to it, cause it aint that clear as crystal, its more like clear as mudd

Thanks that was an awsome explantion Im smart and know everything know!
Linger around here and ull learn... last december when i was a rookie here i didnt know anything... i dont know everything, seein as we had some other members who chipped in with stuff I forgot, glad my post was able to help you tho..

Tx