12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

enjector cleaners- any good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ejector cleaners- any good?

I bought some for over 40.00 (one quart) and after the shock wore off returned it.
But if it really works I might go ahead and use some. However, I don't feel like participating in a 40.00 experiment.

Do the high end cleaners work (like BG, diesel specific)

Thanks

Jimmy
Old 09-04-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
All I can tell you is my trucks work just fine 250k miles later and I've never used injector cleaner.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:35 PM

When I first bought my truck I called the dealer and they said it's not needed. Fuel injection cleaner is a solvent with each companies recipe of added chemicals 'THEY', the manufacture feels is needed. The dealer said if you maintain you vehicle as you should, you would have no issues. Some blends have a disburser in them and if there is a little water, will disperse it throughout the tank to allow it to burn without to much expansion and damage to the engine. But this is their words, and take it as a grain of salt. I use it only when I start a long trip and no more than twice per year. Nothing has happen as of yet. Did this on my last truck and put 400k on it without issues. Trust your gut ... and go with that. Good Luck
Old 09-05-2010, 10:22 AM

Thanks. I'll skip it. There is a problem with one injector somewhere- slight but its there. At least I say its an injector, but I am no expert.

J-
Old 09-05-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
All I can tell you is my trucks work just fine 250k miles later and I've never used injector cleaner.
All I can say is that when Bill speaks, I listen.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive heard that if you put a load on the engine to get it hot enough to burn off the carbon it does the same thing.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:59 AM

Everything you ever wanted to know about additives starting on page 93 here> http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...ech_Review.pdf

Aftermarket Additives
It would be convenient for the user if a finished diesel fuel could satisfy all of his or her
requirements without the use of supplemental additives. Although this is usually the case,
some users require additional additives because the low-temperature conditions in their
region are more severe than those for which the fuel was designed or because of other
special circumstances. Other users feel that they will benefit from using a diesel fuel with
enhanced properties compared to using regular diesel. Finally, there are users who regard
the cost of an additive as cheap insurance for their large investment in equipment.
A large number of aftermarket additive products are available to meet these real or
perceived needs. Some are aggressively marketed with testimonials and bold performance
claims that seem “too good to be true.” As with any purchase, it is wise to remember the
advice, caveat emptor, “let the buyer beware.”
It may be helpful to regard additives as medicine for fuel. Like medicine, they should be
prescribed by an expert who has made an effort to diagnose the problem, as well as the
underlying causes. Additives should be used in accordance with the recommendations
of the engine manufacturer, and the instructions of the additive supplier. Sometimes, indiscriminant
use of additives can do more harm than good because of unexpected interactions.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:34 AM

Location: Lingleville TX but active duty Air Force all over the world currently
Bill, you dont ever use Power Service? Ive used the Cetane boost in the silver jug and once I had to use the Diesel 911 when I gelled up in northern Utah.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:19 PM

Bill, you dont ever use Power Service?
I use Power Service in the winter only because I don't trust the gas station's fuel to be treated enough to avoid gelling.
Cheap insurance that most of time probably isn't necessary.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:32 PM

I have been running Stanadyne Performance Formula ever since I've had my 96 12V. It had 88K on it with a full tank, and when I put the first few tanks in with Stanadyne I really noticed a differance in power, idle, and mileage. Just my .02 cents.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 PM

The additives under discussion are not in the class of powerservice or stanadyne. Those are more lubricative additives and not specifically designed ONLY for cleaning the fuel system. Whether or not they claim to clean injectors is secondary, it is not their primary purpose as I understand it. I don't care if the thread drifts, but most of it has dealt with one type of additive, meant to clean injectors, rather than the whole ream of various additives out there.

Just sayin'

Jimmy