12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Electrical nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical nightmare

First off, let me say that this forum is great. I just joined, and this sight has been a huge help, in working on my truck. I now have three problems with my truck that have slowly compounded. First my truck would jump in and out of overdrive. A little while later, whenever I would turn the key on, the ASD relay would click like crazy, stop, then the intake heater would come on. Now, they don't come on at all. My wait to start light comes on periodically while I'm driving, WIF light never comes on. Since the problem started with the heater grid, my tranny won't shift into overdrive at all. Finally, my charging system quit. I'm a little new to the diesel game, and unfortunately I found this site after I had already spent some money. I bought new relays for the intake heater. Dodge sold me a set for a new truck, and said they would work; they didn't. I cleaned the TPS and tested it, and it is working fine. I even tried the potentiometer trick just to be sure. Then I bought a new alternator, because the kid that tested it told me the stator was bad in it. Funny, I just realized that I'm pretty sure there IS no stator in it. Maybe that's why it's bad. I checked all my connections; cleaned them, greased them. I did continuity tests on all the fusible links I could find. I checked grounds. I checked the brake light switch; it had already been repaired once. I checked the gap on the CPS. I found a test for the CPS in my wonderful Chilton. Even though the book covers diesels, it only shows the gas ones. Would the same test work though? It's just a resistance check. After doing some reading on here I am worried that my PCM is bad, and just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Thanks for any help I receive and the help I have been given.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure sounds a cps problem to me, when mine died i had no charge, wierd tranny shifts because to the computer the engine wasn't running with no cps signal. I think the sensor is just a hall-effect type so a resistance check should show if it's open or shorted at least but it could also be flakey. The connector can also be a sore spot as well try cleaning it.
I wonder if your heater grid problem isn't related to worn starter contacts? I know they can affect the shut-off solenoid.
Just a thought
chris
Old 08-11-2005, 10:15 AM

I second that

BAD PCM.... do urself a favor and replace it, save urself alot of headache and money.....

Infidel is the guru when it comes to this, if he says its a bad PCM, it probly is... just obey, like i shoulda done..

Tx
Old 08-11-2005, 11:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Is there a PCM on a '92?
You will get better answers if you post this in the 1st gen forum
Old 08-11-2005, 03:35 PM

just for clarification, every alternator has a rotor and a stator. the stator is the housing (the part that does not rotate), and the rotor, well, it is the rotating part.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:17 PM

Yes, it has a PCM.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:19 PM

I checked out the CPS tonight and it is bad. I also noticed that my check engine light is not coming on.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:29 PM

When my cps went bad i had no o/d , air conditioning, or charging.

Eric
Old 08-13-2005, 11:46 PM

OK. I hooked up the external voltage regulator tonight to get my truck going till I find a CPS. Everything worked perfect for a while, then it started to overcharge. I messed with my connections and ran another ground from the reg to the firewall, but that did not help. On my other issues, I ran a new ground from the motor to frame tonight. I still need to run one from the cab to the chassis as well. I was wondering what guage wire I should use, and if there was a preferred location for the ground. Thanks

Old 08-14-2005, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by Prshby44
OK. I hooked up the external voltage regulator tonight to get my truck going till I find a CPS. Everything worked perfect for a while, then it started to overcharge. I messed with my connections and ran another ground from the reg to the firewall, but that did not help. On my other issues, I ran a new ground from the motor to frame tonight. I still need to run one from the cab to the chassis as well. I was wondering what guage wire I should use, and if there was a preferred location for the ground. Thanks

Regulator worked well for a couple weeks at best, then overcharging once again, i used for a ground the battery on the drivers side, it didnt work, next i used a ground screw that was at my fender, nope didnt work either, The regulator is a temporary fix, but it will also blow out your 30 amp engine control fuse, u might wanna check that if you havent already done it.. Just please, get urself the PCM... it will save u alot of headache and money... Gauge, didnt really matter as far as im concerned. What happened to me, was nothing worked anymore, none of my gauges xcept the fuel one, which snapped me to bite the bullet and get teh PCM... best move ive made to date.... best of luck..

I know it hurts, but just get it at the dealership.. its really tough to find them elsewhere... i tried believe me

Tx