12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Crankcase Venting Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crankcase Venting Question...

I'm replacing my original tappet cover with a thicker aftermarket one with an O-ring for a stronger oil seal in that area. I know I have blow-by and I'm not in a situation where I can rebuild the engine or replace it. The new tappet cover I bought has two threaded holes for venting without any kind of oil baffles whatsoever. What I'd like to do is plug both of those holes and replace two of the valve covers with the Case / IH dual VC breather cap which is supposed to vent the gasses only and allow the oil droplets to drain back into the crankcase. Do y'all think this would provide enough ventilation? Or should I do two more valve covers with another dual VC breather cap? It's a daily driver and stock single turbo otherwise.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Mustang, I'm just curious as to why you would plug those holes up on that new tappet cover? Personally, use it like it was designed, and also do your valve cover mod.
Have you already mounted that tappet cover? If you don't mind sharing, who was the manufacturer of that cover? The reason I'm inquiring is I know those things cost $$ anyway, and if you haven't mounted it, you can return it and get the one made by KW machining. Their billet covers are designed with an oil catch baffle box, where the box has two ports. The kit I bought from them came with primo stainless braided vent hoses, and Russell AN fittings, I believe 3/4". The tappet cover was O-ring sealed, like a Mag-Hytec diff cover. I want to say the cover was about 5/8" thick. Seems anything billet for these trucks are big $$ anyway, and if you're going that route, for a few dollars more go with the one from KW.

I did that, along with two sets of those CCV valve covers. For the first time since I've owned the truck, I can honestly say I'm drip/leak free.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by bigragu
Mustang, I'm just curious as to why you would plug those holes up on that new tappet cover? Personally, use it like it was designed, and also do your valve cover mod.
Have you already mounted that tappet cover? If you don't mind sharing, who was the manufacturer of that cover? The reason I'm inquiring is I know those things cost $$ anyway, and if you haven't mounted it, you can return it and get the one made by KW machining. Their billet covers are designed with an oil catch baffle box, where the box has two ports. The kit I bought from them came with primo stainless braided vent hoses, and Russell AN fittings, I believe 3/4". The tappet cover was O-ring sealed, like a Mag-Hytec diff cover. I want to say the cover was about 5/8" thick. Seems anything billet for these trucks are big $$ anyway, and if you're going that route, for a few dollars more go with the one from KW.

I did that, along with two sets of those CCV valve covers. For the first time since I've owned the truck, I can honestly say I'm drip/leak free.
​​​​​​​I did return that tappet cover and got the Keating one from Pure Diesel Power since it has the oil baffles built in. I've already bolted it on and am planning on routing 3/4" lines from the vents to a catch can. I though about routing them to the intake box, but I'm worried the turbo impeller might get all gummed up eventually.
The following users liked this post:
bigragu (07-03-2017)
Old 09-04-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KW Machining

I have found the Keating tappet cover and the KT performance tappet cover but I have not been able to find the KW Machining tappet cover. Do you have a link for it? Thanks, Joe
Old 09-04-2018, 03:49 PM

https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-products/dodge-5.9l-cummins-keating-billet-side-tappet-cover-120510-2.html

Old 09-05-2018, 04:08 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
IMO with an old fashioned diesel you should never vent into the intake- the danger of a runaway condition is too high. If you have access to a welder you can vent into the exhaust pipe.
Personally I like to reclaim the oil from the blowby and reinsert it into the crankcase. ( A metal box with some baffles and steel wool as a separator and a drain into the valve cover works fine for me)