12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

clutches

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:clutches

My SB Con O is rated for 350hp and is holding 417 with no problem and is smoother than the stocker.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:29 AM

with the 1 3/8 input shaft how much hp will the stock 5spd hold? Will it hold up when pulling or should I get a 5spd? Note I only pull about 3 times a year.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:46 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Cummins Hot Rod link=board=16;threadid=5743;start=15#52527 date=1034563854]
My SB Con O is rated for 350hp and is holding 417 with no problem and is smoother than the stocker.
[/quote]

My Con O held 450HP for a year or so. It slipped at 478 and I built a throttle stop to get it to hold. After the glazing began to wear off, the clutch came back a bit and I was able to get it to hold 531HP. Once! I had to replace my starter after that and when I removed it....the clutch material was all over the place inside the bellhousing/block plate in chunks. It was roasted. Of course it is not rated for that kind of power. Its a sight to see.

Don~
Old 10-15-2002, 06:19 PM

I'am looking for a place or name of a good shop ;D to change my clutch out, I just started to pull a 5er (7800lbs), I plow (when it snows) and my OEM has 132,500k. I live in the MD area.<br><br>Any help would be great!!
Old 10-15-2002, 06:30 PM
Banned

We'd be glad to help you, we specialize in installing the best clutches out there, especially South Bend and Haisley. Bit of a drive for you, though, at 600 miles one way... (we come to Maryland every year for the Big Rig Nationals, so we know how far it is !) <br> How much horsepower are you running? If stock, how high do you plan to take it? (If you are indeed planning on it)<br> That will be two of the factors that you need to consider in choosing the right clutch for your application.<br> We have a lot of members from Virginia on these forums, one or two of them maybe could suggest a shop near you?
Old 10-15-2002, 07:17 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Briar,<br><br>You are now selling Vans clutch? If so, can you tell me about it? Do you like it over the EE clutch? <br><br>Don~
Old 10-16-2002, 01:21 PM
Banned

I've always had Van's stuff for sale, Don, I just haven't had time to update my website. For example, I also have Suncoast and BD trannies and parts, but they're not on the website. <br> No comment on who has the better clutch. ;D <br> They are both excellent clutches. That is all I can say about it. Keep in mind, I don't pull, although I work on several pulling trucks and drag racers.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:28 PM

I was doing some searching in older posts, just found this one. I'm looking for a new clutch, was planning to go with the McLeod. However, the Haisley clutch is one I haven't heard much about, is it dual disk like the McLoed? I was talking to someone about clutches a few months ago, they told me to wait on a &quot;Revloc&quot;, still in R &amp; D phase. Has anyone heard of it? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:21 AM

Just a thought on &quot;holding power&quot;. My stock clutch spins in 5th and 4th pretty easily yet would hold 414 hp on the Dyno. I think that Dynomometer set up has a lot to do with the numbers we see vs actual hp on the street. <br>Don- I'm looking at having one of Joe's modified Sach clutchs installed. Are you walking in circles or is left leg effort reasonable? I rode in Sickly and know what you mean about the clutch not being for everyone. Guess my shifting will have to be cleaned up!<br>Greg
Old 11-05-2002, 06:18 PM

With customer service, let me tell you a little story.<br><br> About a year and a half ago I bought Peter's con-o-fe for my 96. Does it hold? ;D Does it ever. Now my truck don't make that much power but at 405 it ain't that weak. Well I had a little chatter I could not get to go away. In third gear towing just can't get the gear train and my foot together. Chatter. I posted a few times asking what I could do to get it right. Peter asked me to call when I got a chance. I called and we talked about 30 min. What he said , after 1 1/2 years of use is he wanted me happy. I told him I was but he insisted something was not right. He sent me a new con-o, which got to my house in 2 days. Would not take any payment and said to put the &quot;old&quot; fe in the shed in case I ever needed a clutch in an emergency. Never, and I mean never have I ever had that happen. For a person to stand behind his product like Peter is unheard of. I told a fellow at about it and he just looked and me with his mouth open.<br><br> The South Bend clutch is a keeper for sure but with people like Peter there there is no other place for me to shop. And anybody else I know.<br><br> A real happy camper.<br><br>..Preston..
Old 11-06-2002, 08:48 PM
Banned

EE's puller is better than Haislys, sorry BULLWAGON!<br><br>I would go SBC for anything except sled pulling.<br><br>Peter did say he had a puller ready, but would not sell it until somebody had blankets. Well Enterpise Engine now has custom 5 and 6 blankets and blow proof bell housings, so Peter can release them now. <br>It better be tough, because EE and Van Haisly have the puller market about wrapped up.<br><br>I would not wish a Joe Sachs on anybody, avoid them like the plague. The only way it holds 600 hp is with a lag pig big honker turbo, that puts NO load on it at low rpms.<br>The 600 hp is still questioned, as it has not left Nevada, and been on any other dyno anyway. Sales Pitch, it sucked me in, I was a fool.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:06 PM
Banned

Did you run the Haisley comp clutch Gene?
Old 11-06-2002, 09:15 PM
Banned

Why no JR, have you or Bullwagon run EEs?<br>
Old 11-06-2002, 09:16 PM
Banned

Sorry but I wont run that clutch.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:32 PM
Banned