12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Burning WVO with my 12 Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning WVO with my 12 Valve?

I have a local guy that owns a restauraunt that wants me to make him a kit for his 2005 Duramax so that he can use his waste vegetable oil for fuel. He owns 3 Arby's restauraunts and will be building more.

Also, I'd like to put together a kit for my 12V as well.

Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone done this?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2005, 07:58 PM

there is a lot of info out there. i want to try it but it looks like the standard fuel filter is not compatable with the vegetable oil. seems like it comes apart. with a good filter seems like it will work. aint going to tr it till i find a filter that will work.l
Old 07-07-2005, 12:27 AM

Greasal.com may have kits but IMO just make your own rather than shell out the big bucks for theirs. Your 12V would be pretty easy to convert over but I'm not sure how the Durapad will convert over due to the common rail. I heard rumors before that the WVO turns to a gum at those pressures but grain of salt....
Old 07-07-2005, 07:23 AM

I wish I could find the post. Somewhere there is a post on here about this very issue and a link to a site, other than greasel.com, that sells the conversion kits and installation videos and such. From what I remember its basically a tank and filter and some sort of switching mechanism. You start the truck on diesel and run it there until it is warm, switch to WVO and run their for the duration, then switch back to diesel before shutting down the engine to flush the WVO. Dang I wish I could find that site. It really did sound promising, especially with the price of fuel these days.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The consensus is WVO is risky business for a common rail but no problem for your 12 valve.
On a common rail no problem converting the WVO to biodiesel then burning it.
In fact this is the route I'd take with the 12 valve also, keep the equipment at home rather in the back of your truck. WVO can be damaging to even your 12 valve depending on what's in it, no amount of filtering can remove salt, sugar, MSG, etc from the WVO but converting it to BD does.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:01 AM

I would set up a biodiesel processor, then you don't have to convert anything on the truck to run it. Its said that BD is even better for your engine than #2. I have heard that there is still a risk of running BD in the common rail but not as big, especially if you mix BD with #2. BD still gels at a fairly high temperature, like 32deg F.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:40 AM

I know that there are a number of places across the country that BD may be purchased, pre-mixed, but am not sure of the prices. The nearest one to me is about an hour away and I don't head that direction too often.

How do you go about converting WVO to BD?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:51 AM

water heater, methanol, lye and time
Old 07-07-2005, 05:19 PM

Check out

utahbiodiesel.org/

and also google on appleseed procesors.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:23 PM

Thumbs up WVO

I have nearly 20k miles on Vegetable Oil using a home built setup. The Duratax does have some unique problems to overcome but it can be done. Common rail is not that big of a deal for using VO, there are lots of them running on it.
Check out;
http://www.frybrid.com/test.htm
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/ubb....51&f=159605551
http://www.biofuels.ca/

I made a 1500 mile trip on less then 12 gallons of diesel. I drive about 3000 on a tank of diesel filling up every other month instead of every week. Getting plenty FREE of Used Cooking Oil has been no problem. Filtering is not all that hard either. You can e-mail me and I'll send schematics of what I have.
Ken Gardner
Old 07-07-2005, 10:04 PM

i'm down with the waste oil info please, thanks. mrhydroseed@yahoo.com
Old 07-08-2005, 07:27 AM

akghound,

Please send them to me also. tqmachja@aol.com

thanks alot
Old 07-08-2005, 08:14 AM

Ken, please send me schematics of what you have and any other info on it as well. Thanks.

walexa07@gmail.com

Waylan
Old 07-08-2005, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by infidel
WVO can be damaging to even your 12 valve depending on what's in it, no amount of filtering can remove salt, sugar, MSG, etc from the WVO but converting it to BD does.
Well this isn't exactly true, converting it to biodiesel only rids of the pollutants if you wash the biodiesel when you're done with it. I do believe WVO can be washed just the same. Really unwashed bio is probably worse than unwashed WVO since the excess methanol can take it's tole on rubber parts.

Getting plenty FREE of Used Cooking Oil has been no problem.
Always a bit awkward asking though, I had one person think I'm nuts for trying it but said go ahead and help yourself. What I'd like to do instead is find a chinese food place and be the sole pickup for it, then just get one of those lift cranes for the back of my truck. Drop off one 55gal drum and pickup a full one. Get back home and hook it up to my gravity fed filter... well that is the idea at least. No running pumps or moving parts.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:15 PM

Cool WVO

WoW, Way more resonse then I expected, I'll get the schematics off this weekend.

Jeff ... I have 7 restuaraunts that I'm the sole Grease Guy for. If you can, see if they will put the grease back into the cubies for you. It will be a lot cleaner, way less chance of getting water into it and picking up is a breeze. I can send you a copy of a letter I give to the manager/owner. Send me your e-address. This offer is extended to anyone interested.
Mine is; akghound[at]onewest[dot]net

Ken Gardner

Quick Reply: Burning WVO with my 12 Valve?