12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Brakes acting very weird

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Brakes acting very weird *UPDATE* STILL need help!

About a month & 1/2, two months ago now I blew a HG and pulled my head and had it oringed. When we reinstalled my head we caught the vaccum line that goes to the transfer case between the block and the head. It ran this way for about a week before I found and fixed the problem by running a piece of air brake hose from the plastic T in the engine compartment back to the original plastic line. I just originally overlaped the two by sliding the original line into the air brake hose. Took about another week before I got under there and actually wrapped some black tape around it (yeah I know I'm a procrastinator ).

Now my brakes are acting very weird. Sometimes I can hit the pedal and have immediate pressure, and sometimes the pedal goes 1/2 way to the floor before getting any pressure. When it does its a very scary feeling b/c it feels like it is going to the floor!

Any thoughts and suggestions? At first I just thought it was where it would still be leaking out where the lines overlap each other, but now that I fixed that I don't know what it could be, and I really want to get this figured out soon!
Old 05-10-2005, 12:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Your '97s brakes aren't vacuum assisted, they're hydro assist from the power steering pump.
I would look at low PS fluid level or a leaking accumulator. When the accumulator goes besides poor brakes you will often get foamy or overflowing power steering fluid.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by infidel
Your '97s brakes aren't vacuum assisted, they're hydro assist from the power steering pump.
I would look at low PS fluid level or a leaking accumulator. When the accumulator goes besides poor brakes you will often get foamy or overflowing power steering fluid.
Where is the accumulator and how much does it cost Bill?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:41 PM

The accumulator is the blue cylinder by your brake fluid reservoir.
I know the accumulator is available separately but the sources are hard to come by, most folks replace the entire master with a rebuilt from the auto parts store. Price isn't too bad, around $100.

Rapid Brake in Seattle (360) 357-4958 used to provide a rebuild kit with a new accumulator but pushed a rebuilt master instead. Problem with rebuilding the accumulator yourself is it takes special tools and is charged with nitrogen.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:53 PM

The accumulator is the blue cylinder by your brake fluid reservoir.
I know the accumulator is available separately but the sources are hard to come by, most folks replace the entire master with a rebuilt from the auto parts store. Price isn't too bad, around $100.

Rapid Brake in Seattle (360) 357-4958 used to provide a rebuild kit with a new accumulator but pushed a rebuilt master instead. Problem with rebuilding the accumulator yourself is it takes special tools and is charged with nitrogen.
I forgot to check my PS fluid level eariler.....I think I'll go do that right now.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:08 PM

Well I checked the fluid level in my PS pump. It seemed 'a little' low but I don't know for sure.......

However the junk in there looked horrible, off dark green like the runs

I've heard talk of a guy using some kinda suction hose to pull all the fluid out of the PS pump and then jack the front end up and turn the wheels left & right and get what was remaining then refill with new fluid.

After 162.5K miles I think its worth it, but is that the best way?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:46 AM

You can get most of the fluid out with a turkey baster or suction gun, fill er up, drive around a bit and do it again. After three times of this you will have close to 100% new fluid. It won't take over two quarts to do it three times.

You might want to consider a synthetic, I'm currently using Royal Purple but other brands like Valvoline SynPower might be easier for you to come by locally.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:38 AM

I take the return line off and add a bit of hose to go into a 5 gal bucket and raised the front end off and have the wife help start and turn as I add the valvoline synthetic untill it comes clean, I have done this a few times and if memory serves it takes about 4 to 6 quarts to do it up right. My 97 really appreciated the change out and no more whinning in the winter as stated above. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 05-16-2005, 01:58 PM

Well Bill I never did get a chance to change my PS fluid. I figured since it was nearly full and only require a little to top off with no noticeable changes that it wasn't the source.

Brakes still act the same.........normal most times........the once or twice you hit the pedal and get the eyes b/c it goes 1/2 way to the floor! I had my old chevy do this on me once, but the pedal went ALL the way to the floor........that made for interesting stoping conditions!

Guess I'm gonna get ready to shell out $114 + tax at the local auto parts store.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:37 PM

My brakes were noticeably better after sucking and refilling a few times.
My best results are to suck & fill twice and drive it a couple weeks (a month for the procrastinators) and repeat. The conditioners in the Valvoline juice released a lot of crud.

Hey Bill;
When did you change to Royal Purple?
Still using the Lubegard additive?
Old 05-17-2005, 09:53 AM

John, I had a hose blow and since the auto parts had RP in stock and no Lube-Gard...

Seems ok so far, winter will tell if it needs Lube-Gard.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:34 AM

I replaced my MC this morning and the brakes are some what better, but still out of every 4 or 5 times hitting the pedal one time it still goes 1/2 way to the floor before getting pressure!

Going to have someone else look at it tomorrow. I was really hoping to not have to "throw parts at it" to fix it. So far $160 down the drain I really didn't need to waste.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:31 AM

I suspect that you have a collapsed brake hose that is acting like a valve occasionally.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Smokee
I suspect that you have a collapsed brake hose that is acting like a valve occasionally.
Well thats something I will definately check THANK YOU!

hey Bill.......BILL! where are you I need HELP!
Old 05-26-2005, 07:11 PM

The hose problem is a possibility but the only real way to find out is to replace them. If you're going to go that far might as well upgrade to braided stainless that many vendors offer. What happens when a hose goes bad is part of the inner layer comes off and acts like a flap inside the hose, this usually prevents flow back to the master causing the caliper not to retract. Brakes drag, heat up and wear out fast, doesn't sound like your problem.

Need more details.
Will the pedal creep to the floor?
Can you build the pedal up to the top by pumping?
Been checking that your PS fluid level is up?

Quick Reply: Brakes acting very weird