12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

auto to stick

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto to stick

My 98 12 valve has an auto and I want a five speed. It is 4x4 so the t case will need to be reused. Are there any write ups about doing this? I know someone had to do it. The tranny is going so I think it will cost the same to rebuild or swap new manual in. THanks for the help
Old 08-20-2004, 12:57 PM

I have also been wondering about this, I am not a big fan of automatic transmissions, And I would really like to switch over to a manual, is it really alot of work, cost a whole lot, etc etc. Any help would be nice.

-Jared
Old 08-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Chapter President

It can be done with alot of work....and a donor truck is very usefull
Old 08-20-2004, 08:27 PM

If I found a donor truck, wouldnt my Auto be worth more than the Manual Transmission, and then for all the work to be done and such, parts extra I needed, Wouldnt it come close to breaking even, or am I wayyy off?
Old 08-20-2004, 09:17 PM

Donor truck exspense, the work, the heavy duty clutch, the fifth gear nut repair on manual, your time and again alot of work, I know I would not go that route, I would find myself another truck, but that is me, you might think otherwise. I would weigh it all out and then make the decision. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 08-21-2004, 12:05 AM
Banned

Re: auto to stick

Originally posted by ridofpwrstroke
My 98 12 valve has an auto and I want a five speed. It is 4x4 so the t case will need to be reused. Are there any write ups about doing this? I know someone had to do it. The tranny is going so I think it will cost the same to rebuild or swap new manual in. THanks for the help
I have a lot of info on the conversion an the nv5600 also. I would give Jim Leonard a call as he is very good an he has a list of parts that you will need . 530 938 3427 He had done the conversion many times
If you pm me or pm me a email address and I will send you what I have gotten from several guys that have done the conversion. I have wonted to be rid of the automatic for as long as I have had the truck. At first the 5 speed was my choise but the six speed came out it had problems and now they seem to be resolved.
However the 5 speed would save you some money . If you were to buy a clutch from the forums you could also save a buck or two there. regards Jim
Old 08-21-2004, 09:18 AM

isn't there any conversion kits out there? there is conversion kits for anything else you want to do. i think i saw an advertisement in the latest tdr for conversion kit
Old 08-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by FANZDSLPWR
isn't there any conversion kits out there? there is conversion kits for anything else you want to do. i think i saw an advertisement in the latest tdr for conversion kit
Yes I think so or at least you can buy what you need to do the job. There is enough information out there in the forums on the conversion that the part numbers and the how to do the job that it is not a bad job.
When you factor in the good shafts and others parts into a automatic the price may get closer than you might think.
I am going to get a couple of kits and a rebuilt or new nv5600 and a new hd241 but a rebuilt nv4500 would be cheaper and just a different input shaft for the transfercase if you have a 4x4 would be cheaper also.
I have gathered enough information that I dont see any problems now. For me it is simple enough My truck My Money,..
There is not a lot of snow in Texas so I wont be snow plowing in my truck an if it ever does I will use my backhoe. I just dont see a need for a automatic for me. But if I ever did I wont one I have all ready made the choice on which automatic is the best for me .
JimK
Old 08-22-2004, 09:14 AM

What would be the best Manual Transmission for me to swap the auto with in my truck. And whereabouts could I look for these conversion kits and such. I havent had any problems with the automatic so far, but I have heard of sooo many that I dont want to have those problems.

-Jared
Old 08-22-2004, 09:40 PM
Banned

Kits

Here is some of the guys that I have heard of that have the kits, Jim @ Basleys 1 724 455 6100 Jim Leonard 530 938 3427 they ,I have heard can build a kit to do what you wont . Give Jim a call an ask what is involved. I have talked to Jim Leonard an he has a kit or can put a kit together for you and he had done a lot of these conversions.
You can buy your transmission where ever you wont, but bare in mind that either 5 speed ( fully splined main shaft) 6 speed 1.375 main shaft can be bought rebuilt at several places.
South Bend for the clutch or what ever you wont to buy.
You will also need to replace the PCM to make the cruse control work or that is what I have been told.
I could go on an on but it is not that hard to do. Blumenthal in ok city is where I plain on buying a transmission. They also have a clutch kit that would work for me as I am not going to race my truck or tractor or backhoe. Transfer Case Express is where I am going to buy a new HD241. You can just replace you input shaft if you have a 4x4 in the transfer case if you wont.
My transmission has never given a bit of trouble and I have 102 k miles on it. I just changed out the fluid with TDH fluid and there was not a speck of any thing in the pan. Just because it has never gave any troubles( except for the TPS switch, does not mean that I have any use for the way it works)
good luck JIM
Old 08-23-2004, 11:06 AM

Tranny swap

I converted a 91 to a standard,it was a lot of work but worth the trouble. Had to ad a clutch pedal and change the brake pedal as well also added the clutch pedal switch and related wiring.There was no hole in the floor for the shift lever so I had to cut that as well. We had a donor truck this made it a lot easier to do.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:44 PM

Sorry for the delay. In Iraq and dont get much time on the net. I will call as soon as i can.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ridofpwrstroke
Sorry for the delay. In Iraq and dont get much time on the net. I will call as soon as i can.
may you return home safe and sound. My son is in the marines and I told him I would buy him some body armor if he wont it. regards Jim
Old 10-09-2005, 12:12 AM

About the tranny swap. I just did this whole swap to my 96 dodge. its tons of work but well worth it. All said and done I was into the manual tranny with everything I needed including the heavy duty rhino clutch, about $2500.00. It really depends on where you get the tranny and what all you can get from the wrecked truck or parts truck. Like I said I had to jump through all the hoops but I can answer any questions u should have just pm me.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:44 AM

Getrealgetlifte would you mind posting the details on the site? I am curious as to what seems to make this such a difficult swap. I have done these on other vehicles previously and it wasnt all that bad. Pull the trans and install the new one (I know adapters and inputs Need changed), add pedals and brake switch, figure out the hydraulic clutch location and drill holes in firewall, and cut a hole in the floor for the trans. What did you need to do for the computer? This would make a great tech article as I keep seeing questions about the swap come up on this board.

Quick Reply: auto to stick