12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Anyone using a grease gun hose to FP gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone using a grease gun hose to FP gauge?

I was thinking about running a grease gun hose from a 6MN31 Needle Valve threaded into my banjo bolt. But I'm second guessing how stiff if is, and how much more difficult it is to install.

Anyone run one into their cab? How long was the hose and where did you install the gauge?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2018, 01:08 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Many years ago when I first installed my FB gauge and ran the pressurized fuel line directly from the fuel pump to gauge I used a small braided hose, which I suspect is similar to the grease gun hose. Made my own restrictor (easy to make) right at the elbow at the pump. Quickly discovered that this setup was very noisy as it transmitted all the vibrations into the cab. Did some research for an alternate and resolved the issue with some translucent Parker Parflex. This is a 1/8" diameter hose that is fuel resistant and has a WP of an unbelievable 500 psi. Used the same hose for the boost press.. The number on the hose is 0003404107. Was worried that over time that the heat and fuel would cause the hose to become brittle, but so far it still looks good and is quite flexible. As much as I dislike running a pressurized fuel line into the cab, this setup has worked flawlessly for well over 100,000 miles.

Your setup is a bit different to mine, but on mine for the installation there is a large steel elbow (3/8"?) right on the pump inlet. I drilled and tapped the side of that elbow and installed a 1/8" NPT fitting to match the new line. Again, very easy to do. The hardest part was removing and reinstalling the elbow for the drilling and tapping.
The following users liked this post:
rebar (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Many years ago when I first installed my FB gauge and ran the pressurized fuel line directly from the fuel pump to gauge I used a small braided hose, which I suspect is similar to the grease gun hose. Made my own restrictor (easy to make) right at the elbow at the pump. Quickly discovered that this setup was very noisy as it transmitted all the vibrations into the cab. Did some research for an alternate and resolved the issue with some translucent Parker Parflex. This is a 1/8" diameter hose that is fuel resistant and has a WP of an unbelievable 500 psi. Used the same hose for the boost press.. The number on the hose is 0003404107. Was worried that over time that the heat and fuel would cause the hose to become brittle, but so far it still looks good and is quite flexible. As much as I dislike running a pressurized fuel line into the cab, this setup has worked flawlessly for well over 100,000 miles.

Not sure on your setup, but on mine for the installation there is a large elbow right on the pump inlet. I drilled and tapped the side of that elbow and installed a 1/8" fitting to match the new line. Again, very easy to do. The hardest part was removing and reinstalling the elbow for the drilling and tapping.
Thanks for that Mexstan.. Someone on another board suggested the grease gun hose, but thought I was routing it to a sender for a electronic gauge..

1/8" Translucent Parker Parflex 0003404107.. Aight.. I'm finding different Parflex tubing, but not 1/8" 0003404107.

Where can I buy it?

Old 10-07-2018, 01:41 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Quite possibly the grease gun hose went to a sender.

This hose is old, so maybe the part number has changed. Go to any Parker store and I am sure that they can find the equivalent.
rebar (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 04:17 PM

Go to any Parker store and I am sure that they can find the equivalent.
Perfect. There's a store north of me 20 miles..

I appreciate the advice because I couldn't find any how-to's for a 97. And if I did, photobucket would be holding the pics for ransom.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:00 PM

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts
Grease-gun hoses are usually used by people who are feeding a sender for an electric gauge. You'd have to have a really long grease gun hose, or string several together, to feed a mechanical gauge in the cab. A lot of people drill and tap the banjo bolt on the P7100 inlet, as described above - you can also get pre-drilled 14mm banjo bolts from Tork Tek (with internal snubber) and Glowshift (no snubber). When I set up my electric gauge, I didn't want to go off the banjo bolt on the IP inlet, because that would make it more of a hassle to remove the banjo bolt due to the grease gun hose, sender, etc all being connected to the banjo bolt via pipe threads (I don't like removing and re-installing pipe threads - seems like something you can only do a limited number of times). I came off the outlet from the filter and used 1/8" Gates airbrake tubing and quick-connects to bridge the distance to the firewall - the grease-gun hose and needle valve are mounted there and run down to the fender apron where I have the gauge sender. I'm not crazy about the quick-connects as I suspect they have an o-ring in them and o-rings eventually leak. It works for now, but I like Mexstan's tip about the Parflex. I may put a 1/8Npt elbow and compression arrangement on there, or run a braided line from the filter outlet to the needle valve that I could simply cap off if needed. With either of those options, I could also take off from the IP banjo bolt instead, and could simply disconnect the hose if I needed to remove the banjo bolt.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:00 PM

What a Joke. The Parker store couldn't or wouldn't help me. He said their diesel rated tubing doesn't come in 1/8 and its not clear.. I guess my small project isn't important to Parker because he told me Grainger.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:39 PM

The hose I am using is not clear, it is translucent and think that it is PTFE which to the best of my knowledge is pretty well resistant to most fluids. Could they not cross reference the part number? Went and dug up what was left over and have some from two different purchase dates with two different part numbers. Also know that it comes in 5/32. Here is what is written on the hoses;

Hose 1) Parker Parflex N 1/8 O.D X .031 wall 500 W.P 0003404107

Hose 2) Parker Parflex N 1/8 O.D. X .031 wall 500 W.P 0004231735

Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:59 PM

Could they not cross reference the part number?
No. I told TWO Parker stores " 1/8" Translucent Parker Parflex 0003404107 " and neither of them would help me..

Thanks for the other numbers.. I called Parker USA and complained because Parker has what I need, but are to lazy to figure out what to get me. After I told them 5' of tubing and a couple of fittings it was all over.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:05 PM

So now you have what you need? Will that tube do the job? Is it diesel resistant? Is the part number different to what I gave you?
Old 10-10-2018, 02:28 PM

So now you have what you need? Will that tube do the job? Is it diesel resistant? Is the part number different to what I gave you?
No. Which tube? This one from Grainger? It says parflex

The part numbers you gave arent coming up on parkers data base. Then there fire alarm went off.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:36 PM

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts
If someone can't find Parker, they could look at Jegs or Summitt racing - both carry "-2" (or #2) braided steel line and AN fittings, which means 1/8" ID. You may also be able to find the same at a local speed shop, though a lot of local shops don't carry anything smaller than -3 or -4 (3/16, 1/4 respectively). More expensive, but should last forever.

Rebar, what part number(s) did you get from Parker?
rebar (10-11-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 04:39 PM

FP hose attachment to elbow.
Strange that a hose with the Parker name on it could not be identified by Parker. The hose shown in your link look similar to what I have. Am puzzled that it has a thicker wall thickness, but a lower working pressure. All my hose has been bought from Parker.. Hate my local Grainger and have not been there for years.

I know your setup is different to mine, but attached is a photo of what I did to mine, which may give you some ideas. It's hard to get a camera down there to get a decent poto.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:08 AM

Got curious as to why I could find this hose so easily, but you are battling. You are right, as I could not track either of these numbers through the Parker system. Have you tried Valin? Did a few minutes of deeper digging and found the following that may help you;

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/60260783
Old 10-11-2018, 07:31 AM

Got curious as to why I could find this hose so easily, but you are battling. You are right, as I could not track either of these numbers through the Parker system. Have you tried Valin? Did a few minutes of deeper digging and found the following that may help you;

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/60260783
Thanks again Mexstan.. I will look into that link later because I just received a couple oil coolers for my nv4500 and changing all the oils today.

Quick Reply: Anyone using a grease gun hose to FP gauge?