12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

97 CTD Sluggish on take off

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 CTD Sluggish on take off

I have a 97 CTD with the auto..My problem is the truck sometimes seems very sluggish on take off....It will start building up and then just take off......I have had the trans rebuilt with a shift kit and an open air intake. Other than that its all stock. Where should I begin looking for a cause?<br><br>I know this is not much info but I am not a very technical person, sorry :-[
Old 06-02-2003, 12:14 AM

Re:97 CTD Sluggish on take off

I have not had this problem unless very cold. Was this when warmed up or freshly started?<br><br>Freshly started and in park the torque converter does not fill up very well or at all until you shift to another gear. That is why when cold I shift into neutral to build line presssure and fill the TC otherwise this could happen but only when cold or sitting for more than 2 hours. Should not happen when warmed up.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:32 AM

This happens most of the time. I have the trans-go shift kit in the truck so the trans fluid is constantly moving. It does not do it every time but I would say 90% of the time. Especially if I do not come to a complete stop (rolling stop)
Old 06-02-2003, 01:58 PM

I ahve the smae thing and if you have had the line pressure upped in the trans mission due the the shift kit, it is not dropping completely back to first. You are actuall launching in 2nd.<br><br>I have the same thing and after much testing thats what I found to be the cause. The upped pressure keeps the trans from dropping back into 1st unless you are at a stop or very very very slow crawl.<br><br>One way to test is slow to a rolling speed and drop the trans into 1st, if it shifts down, you are having the same issue.<br><br>Don Miller<br>97 2500 Ecab, #8 plate, 370 injectors, 3k gov springs, Scotty II with the hole cut, custom trans by Frank
Old 06-02-2003, 06:56 PM

You know I think your absolutely right!! I tried this a while back. If I drop into 1st gear and manually shift my tranny all the way to 3rd gear its like a new truck...Is there a fix??
Old 06-02-2003, 10:36 PM

You can try having the line presuure lowered but then you lose the crisp shifts that you want from the vavle body. I just manually shift it if I feel I'm not going to come to a complete stop, or if I need to beat the ricer to the next light!<br><br>Don
Old 06-03-2003, 04:58 AM

Does anybody know how to increase/decrease the line pressure? What pressures do you suggest? Thanks, Kevin
Old 06-03-2003, 12:44 PM

My 97 takes off real slow. After a few seconds it will take off. Sometimes it will go faster than others. This happens all the time hot or cold. It drives me nuts. Now, I almost always pull it down into first gear to make sure thats where its at when i take off. I think its just got real bad turbo lag. I would like to get the timing checked as well. Sometimes, I am really disapointed at how slow it gets moving.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:29 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

heavyg: You can try to get a voltage regulator eg from DTT and adjust the governor pressure sensor excitation voltage to fit your needs. Thus you can keep your line pressure and have the right shift points. I prefer this over the resistor method because it's rather cheap and adjustable. <br><br>bigbaddiesel: Does your truck smoke whne taking off or not? If not your AFC could be in need of adjustment. <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 06-04-2003, 09:30 PM

You did not ask me this but I thought I would answer for my situation. My truck does NOT smoke at all even if I floor it. Which brings me to my next comment. If I do floor it from stop, it just does NOT take off quick at all. Its not slipping, its just like its not getting any fuel or something or its in like 2nd or 3rd gear, but then builds up and takes off.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:33 PM

[quote author=AlpineRAM link=board=16;threadid=15407;start=0#145681 date=1054751372]<br>heavyg: You can try to get a voltage regulator eg from DTT and adjust the governor pressure sensor excitation voltage to fit your needs. Thus you can keep your line pressure and have the right shift points. I prefer this over the resistor method because it's rather cheap and adjustable. <br><br>bigbaddiesel: Does your truck smoke whne taking off or not? If not your AFC could be in need of adjustment. <br><br>AlpineRAM<br>[/quoteNot to much smoke. I had to have the fuel plate slid back a little as it would not pass emissions. It used to blow a ton of smoke when i first got it. maybe the plate should be slid ahead all the way.[/quote]
Old 06-04-2003, 11:34 PM

[quote author=heavyg link=board=16;threadid=15407;start=0#145842 date=1054780239]<br>You did not ask me this but I thought I would answer for my situation. My truck does NOT smoke at all even if I floor it. Which brings me to my next comment. If I do floor it from stop, it just does NOT take off quick at all. Its not slipping, its just like its not getting any fuel or something or its in like 2nd or 3rd gear, but then builds up and takes off.<br>[/quote]that sounds just like mine. Sometimes when i manually shift it into first, it will drop down a gear, sometimes it wont. I think i need to check out the voltage on the TPS
Old 06-04-2003, 11:46 PM

Mines so bad, i got beat by an excursion. I would have pulled away, but we were both speeding by then. the light turned green and we were off. dead even, but then the scursion started inching ahead. Im pretty sure it sounded like it had a powerjoke in it. I would bet anything it was also stock. I hope a slightly powered up CTD would knock its socks off. My truck is going to find a cummins shop here in Utah that can find out why its so slow off the line.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:09 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

heavyg: do a search for AFC adjustment. This will allow the truck to use fuel ... so it will get power ;D<br>The voltage on the TPS doesn't do too much in the first 3 gears. <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 06-05-2003, 12:12 PM

Mines so bad, i got beat by an excursion.
<br>Now that's slow, bigbaddiesel!<br>I have a Scursion with a Powerstroke, and it has trouble beating little old ladies in their 1980s Cadillacs! There is DEFINITELY something wrong with your truck!

Quick Reply: 97 CTD Sluggish on take off