12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

96 12v KDP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 12v KDP?

Hello I have heard vast talk about the KDP falling out of the front timing cover of the 12v cummins. I have also heard that it only occurs when there is some signifcant or some modding done to the engine....My 12v has 174k miles on it, with little mods. It has a K&N air intake, and a 4 inch MBRP straight pipe. That is it. Is it necesary to do that now? Only reason why I ask is because I do not want to cause any damage to my engine or the timing down the road....Any input is greatly appreciated. On eBay the kit is about 60-110 bucks, ill spend the money to prevent massive damage. Thanks in advance, Tom.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tmello401
Hello I have heard vast talk about the KDP falling out of the front timing cover of the 12v cummins. I have also heard that it only occurs when there is some signifcant or some modding done to the engine....My 12v has 174k miles on it, with little mods. It has a K&N air intake, and a 4 inch MBRP straight pipe. That is it. Is it necesary to do that now? Only reason why I ask is because I do not want to cause any damage to my engine or the timing down the road....Any input is greatly appreciated. On eBay the kit is about 60-110 bucks, ill spend the money to prevent massive damage. Thanks in advance, Tom.
My opinion is to get it tabbed so no worries. Maybe it has not moved or maybe it is about to fall out. The parts are all precision parts but they all have a range of acceptable size during manufacture. The wrong combination of size could mean less then needed press fit on the pin. The housing is aluminum, the block cast iron. I think the main cause is creep due to the aluminum and cast iron having different rates of expansion. Over time with many heat and cool cycles the pin can back out. It's hard for me to accept the problem being related to modifications. JMO.

Even if one has the attitude that they will leave it to fail and do the JB weld fix, there is still huge oil loss that could leave it stranded when it happens.

This engine is so reliable in general that addressing this one issue probably cuts the odds of a roadside engine failure to about zero. Especially for an unmodded engine.

I did my first '96 with about 130k on it and the pin was a long way from coming out but it moved in significantly when I drove it back in with a punch and hammer. My second '96 was done by previous owner and I got a receipt and the cover has fresh gasket material on it. 83k miles on that one.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:37 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
my brother`s `86 chevy crew cab 1 ton dually with a `92 STOCK un-modified 12v had 250,000 miles when the KDP fell out 120 miles east of van-horn texas. got towed back to el paso to a cummins shop. $2,500 later he was on his way. his kdp didn`t get the timing cover, it got between the crank gear and the timing gear, doing 70 mph. broke the camshaft, bent 6 push rods and chipped the top lip off 6 lifters. THAT`S when we learned about the KDP. some fall out early, some fall out late, and SOME never fall out !! do you feel LUCKY ??? GET`ER DONE !!! I kill EVERY KDP that I come in contact with. no matter the miles !!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:43 PM

4 hours of your time

a 10 mm ratcheting wrench, and a second set of hands for the fan is all you need.. and cheap insurance for 50 bucks.. why even chance it? if you are contemplating doing it on your own.. I have a write up on it, ive done two of them.. and they are really simple to do...

your comment on modded trucks, having a higher chance is false.. ive seen one bone stock 98 twelve valve lose the KDP.. stock right down to the air filter...
Old 01-31-2014, 09:23 PM

Just bought the whole kdp kit from Genos Garage. It cost 65 bucks and about 75 with shipping and free cummins decal..... I believe it comes with the timing cover gasket too.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:28 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I have had to repair a few 12 valve engines when the pin came out. First off it will take out the housing, then if you're lucky it won't damage any gears. So it is well worth the time to get it fixed before hand. A word to the wise.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just fixed mine, Cummins shop said it was a myth and that it never has happened.... my pin was half way out! Don't over complicate things and it will go quick, power wash that front cover good before you start
I pulled my rad out for more room, super easy 2 long 10mm bolts and pull!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
OP, mine was 100 percent bone stock at 138K when it spit the KDP out the top of the timing case.............

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ght=whackamole

Get it tabbed, right away. Also, while you are in there, make sure you check all the case bolts for tightness as well.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 PM

Do it ASAP. It's not right for anyone to say its easy. That depends on your mechanical ability, experience and common sense. Read the right ups and comments on here from the vets and take pictures and notes during disassembly.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:19 PM

I let mine go to around 250,000 miles before it fell out. only cracked my gear case, I was lucky.
Get if fixed! its WAAAYYYY cheaper to prevent it now, than full motor build later.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Chances of the pin falling out are way better than winning the lottery.
How's your luck?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:45 PM

I see some posting 4 hours. I have done four of these and time including making the tab for me is about 55 minutes. Call it an hour if you want. It's not hard.
Get the parts from Cummins and only Cummins. Use the cardboard the gasket comes with as a template with the bolt holes, put each bolt in it's respective place. Some are longer than others. I remove the fan, clutch, and bracket as one assembly. Yes, it's a bit heavy, but is much faster and easier to do. The rest is simple. Be careful about your crankshaft sensor and do not bend it or heaven forbid, break it! I think you need 8mm, 10mm, and maybe a 12, can't remember. It has been about 7 yrs since my last one.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Just bought the whole kdp kit from Genos Garage. It cost 65 bucks and about 75 with shipping and free cummins decal..... I believe it comes with the timing cover gasket too.
There ya go.....75 bucks and a few hours time = peace of mind....what a bargain
Old 02-22-2014, 12:49 AM

yup, and now mine no longer leaks oil either, I thought it was the ps pump but it was the front seal
Old 02-23-2014, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
Chances of the pin falling out are way better than winning the lottery.
How's your luck?
That's a fact!!!

Quick Reply: 96 12v KDP?