12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

'95 Starting running problem Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 Starting running problem Pump?

I have a 95 Dodge that has been a great truck and have had zero problems until now. I went to start it one morning sitting in my driveway that has a slight uphill grade. It started very rough and idled rough then died. I primed it and it started and away I went.

About a month later it did it again. So I replaced the rubber lines and the lift pump and the fuel filter. I also cleaned out the preheater screen. It started and ran great for about 2 weeks. Today went to start it and the same problem is back. It died again, primed it and it started.

I then went for a drive and I could hear a very loud clicking coming from the motor and it was running very rough. It reved itself to 2200 rpm then died. I primed it and limped it home 1 mile at a time.

It will run for about 30 seconds after the prime. After 30 seconds it starts clicking VERY loud and dies. The clicking sounds like it is coming from the injector pump. Sometimes after the truck dies and I am sitting there it will click one more time?

It runs great for 30 seconds, then starts surging, then clicking, then dies.

After doing some more research - I used teflon tape for the barbed 90 degree fitting on the lift pump. Could this be the problem?

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:19 PM

Just went out and started the truck and it ran great. Has a slight surge when you put it in gear.

I also noticed the bottom of the fuel filter is wet where the drain valve is. Could this be the problem?
Old 03-10-2009, 04:49 PM

Sounds like you are getting some air in the system somewhere. You could be drawing air in through the drain in the filter. Easiest way to find a leak is to pressurize the tank and then watch. A couple of pounds (2-3) of pressure is plenty and you can do it with a rag over a blow gun on an air compressor. Just make sure that you have it regulated down to very low pressure.

You should be able to find your leak then if that's the case. Where is the level of the tank when this happens? Full tank, half, almost empty? could help diagnose too.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:50 PM

I changed out the teflon tape for some permatex thread sealer. I also replaced the small hose between the lift pump and the strainer.

The truck is now running great.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 PM

Same problem is back. I guess I am going to replace my lines to the sending unit next and try that.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like a line issue
Old 03-17-2009, 10:02 AM

Also I have noticed a couple of the injector lines are a little wet with fuel. 1 of them at the injector pump and 2 of them at the injector. Is there a seal in there I can replace?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Is there a seal in there I can replace?
No, it's a metal to metal flare connection. You could try tightening them up a little.
I wouldn't go more than a half turn of the wrench though.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you sure the return hose on the back of the IP isnt cracked?
BTW, cummins has an updated fuel line that goes from the filter to the IP that addresses vibration fatigue. Id switch it out before it cracks on you.
As me how I know =X
Old 03-17-2009, 02:37 PM

I pulled the return line and ofv today and it looks fine. I pulled the fuel shutoff solenoid off and the nut on the bottom with the lockwasher was backed completely off. I am going to adjust it correctly and try again.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:35 PM

I drove the truck today almost 200 miles without a glitch. Got home let the truck sit for an hour went to start it and it lost its prime. Primed it about 20 pumps and away it went.

I am tired of messing with it, and someone is going to get a deal. I am going to buy a new truck.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:27 PM

I got it. It was the pre-heater. When I removed it, diesel fuel ran out of the electrical plug. I have been driving it steady for over a week and no problems.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:51 PM

Does this mean I cannot give you a low ball offer on your truck now? LOL
Old 04-05-2009, 08:25 AM

My truck is doing almost exactly what your truck was doing including the ticking noise from the injection pump. It does not smoke when it acts up. It only acts up when the engine is warmed up (doesn't lose prime overnight). Did yours smoke when acting up?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:26 AM

Yes, it would puff white smoke and run like crap. Mine would not loose prime overnight, only after it got hot and try to restart it. I have ran 3 tanks of fuel out of my truck and no problems. I am also adding a 1/4 bottle of new motor oil in my tank with fill ups. I don't think the ulsd has enough lubrication for the old diesels.

Quick Reply: '95 Starting running problem Pump?