12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

94 broken down on interstate

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh yeah, since I didn't want the same problem with a new rebuilt pump I went for a 215 hp pump for a '97 manual in both my trucks.
US Diesel didn't use to care what you gave them for a core but someone told me recently that now they do.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't have to hold full throttle- it would fire, and if I touched the pedal, it would run.
I haven't been able to do much on it, but I did clean the hot wire to the shutoff solenoid- everything on the post was horribly corroded. Walmart batteries. I keep up with that, but have been busy for the last month or so, and hadn't hardly opened the hood.
I cleaned everything up, and will have to get some miles on it to see. I am still mulling over the best route to go.
By the way, you guys are great. I belong to some other forums, and some are quality, while others are a necessary evil. DTR people rank up there with the best. Hope that I can be of as much service to others as you guys are to me. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:46 PM

I took the truck out for a run over to another town, got up to speed, pulled it hard, drove in traffic, drove it home. Mind you, I understand that your experiences happened on extended runs, and where things were good and hot. So, I don't consider my problems gone. It did run good, though. Never missed a beat. I'm going to continue with the maintenance items, and run it without fully trusting it (in other words, don't get too far away from home), and work it enough to try and replicate the condition.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:46 PM

I found the best way to replicate it was on a two lane road with nowhere to pull over.
If there was snow it was even better.
Just kidding but it sure seemed that way.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been there....done it............
Old 03-29-2013, 09:21 PM

Ha! As I was driving, on some narrow country roads, I kept looking for places to pull over. Kind of like when I was learning to fly- you always look ahead for a possible emergency landing site.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:30 PM

I took it out again today, after pulling the connectors off of the battery post, replacing the ends, cleaning things again, and putting back together. I drove it to town (10 mile trip), and got on interstate. The onramp is on a steep grade, climbing I64 to the top of Afton Mountain. I took a 20 mile round trip, climbing both sides of the mountain, pushing it hard. Never a burp or hiccup. So, it is running now, but I guess time will tell whether it's a pump problem, or I lucked out and it was dirty connections for the shutoff solenoid.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:20 PM

Glad to hear you have fixed the problem and if worse case scenario you didn't, now you atleast know where to start if the issue does occur again.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by trksrfun
Glad to hear you have fixed the problem and if worse case scenario you didn't, now you atleast know where to start if the issue does occur again.
I'm going to be vigilant. The engine is down a little on power, which I had assumed correlated with winter blend- I feel it every year. As summer blend takes over the tank, if I don't feel an increase, then I will again suspect an issue in the pump. It hasn't lost torque, but it is missing that snap. Again, I have felt that before during the winter.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is there a summer and winter blend of ULSD?
Old 03-31-2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by joem
is there a summer and winter blend of ULSD?
Yes. They still blend fuel up north.

Guardrail
Old 04-02-2013, 03:50 PM

interesting reading. So as the IP issues are heat related, and having the truck sit to cool down, or pouring cold water over the IP, could one just pour the water and cool it down to speed up getting on your way?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by MrKen
interesting reading. So as the IP issues are heat related, and having the truck sit to cool down, or pouring cold water over the IP, could one just pour the water and cool it down to speed up getting on your way?
I doubt it- cooling the pump would only be a temporary condition. It will heat back up while operating.
I don't think the pump is my problem, thinking back to the sequence of events. When I stopped and parked, the truck sat for 2 1/2 hours, not running. It was in the low 40's. When my father got there, I started the truck for about a minute, pulling it forward and out from under the trailer. Once we hooked up to his truck, we got going. I had hoped that I could keep the truck going, but it quit within 3 miles. So, after cooling down for 2 1/2 hours, it quit after 3 miles. It didn't have a chance to heat things back up. And, I was running empty.
I have driven it every day since getting it home, and it runs 100%.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:31 AM

I took the truck for a 100 mile trip this morning, and it quit on me 8 times. It would be comical, if it wasn't so inconvenient. It quit once going to Lynchburg, started back up, and ran ok. That time it quit, I poured cold water over the pump. The second time, I had gone probably 30 miles since the first shutdown. Poured water, but it was harder to start. It would hit if I had my foot on the pedal pretty far down, but would die if I lifted off at all. Once running, it would shake a little, but it didn't have an actual miss. As I got closer to home, which coincided with nowhere and two mountains to cross, I struggled to keep it going. No amount of water poured over the pump helped- I was thankful that I WAS in the mountains, and there were creeks about every mile.
I had a long, hard pull before going down the other side, and being at my house. Literally, as a crow flies, I was only about 3 miles away. But, road wise, it was about 7 miles, and very steep. I made the climb with two stops, but when I got to the top, it quit, and I couldn't get it to stay running, like I had been able to. I was sitting at a stop sign at the Blue Ridge Parkway, and couldn't get across. If I kept the pedal most of the way down, it would run rough, but as soon as I lifted off at all, it would die. I could only keep it running at around 2,000 rpms. So, I pushed it across the parkway, jumped in, and rode it down the other side. I thought that maybe things would cool enough by the time I reached bottom (2 miles), but it still won't run unless its up around 2,000, and it dies when I try to drop it into drive. So, I had about a mile to walk home. Given everything, I am thankful that I made it that far. I will go back later this afternoon, after its had a couple of hours to cool down, and see if it will start. If it does, then I can assume a heat-related issue in the pump. I do have a new screen coming today from Geno's for the fuel heater- I did tap on the housing with a wrench when it shut down numerous times, but that didn't have any effect.
When it did shut down, the shutoff solenoid was in the full up position with the key on- so I don't think that is the culprit.
It seems to do fine with local driving, but if I get it on the road and run highway speeds for an extended time, that seems to be when it wants to act up.
Oh, whenever trying to start it after shutdown, it would blow black with my foot off the pedal, and thick black when I was down on it, or pumping.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 AM

How full was your fuel tank?
Some people claim adding 2 cycle oil to your fuel will help keep the warped parts from seizing.
Makes some sense but never tried it myself.

Might want to consider installing a fuel pressure gauge to see what's happening when the problem occurs though my bet is the pressure will be fine. Still better to be sure before investing in a replacement pump.

Quick Reply: 94 broken down on interstate