12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

12valve, feels like a loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12valve, feels like a loss of power

I have a 94 dodge 2500 2wd auto, and when i first got the thruck a yr ago, it would run like a scalded dog. Now it feels sluggish, you can running about 60 and it won't down out of overdrive if u go to pass someone, i've replaced the fuel filter, mechanical lift pump, checked the fuel solenoid. Does anyone else have any ideas?
Old 08-03-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Check your fuel pressure, should be about 20 psi at idle.
Unless you have access to a fuel pressure gauge setup just replace the overflow valve
You won't find a better price than here

Precision Diesel Injection and Turbo Inc.
Marty Tompkins
888-734-7349
$30 + $7 shipping and handling.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:18 AM

Have you checked your tranny kick down cable? or the throttle cable for full travel? It should always downshift when shoved to the floor, or atleast I would think so.

How does it accelerate from a dead stop?

just trying to help good luck and WELCOME ABOARD!!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:00 AM

Unhappy Sucking air

I had a simular problem. I was slowly loosing power over several months. I would get the recomended 20psi at the injector pump. I changed filters, and looked for any other problems but could not find anything. Then I started to loose pressure at the IP so I figured I needed a new lift pump. After replacing it I still had little or no pressure at the IP and realized that there was a LOT of air in the fuel line. After redoing all the connections on the new pump, I finally discovered that the seal on the cover for the screen ahead of the lift pump was bad and allowing air to be drawn into the lines. (This is on the fuel heater right next to the lift pump.) This had been going on for quite some time gradually getting worst until it totally failed. $150 later, new lift pump not needed, 6 hours working in the hot sun, and months of worry, all due to a two-bit gasket Live and learn.
Ken
Old 08-04-2005, 04:57 PM

I also have this problem if you bump the throttle it will die and dies easily at times. The pickup is not that good either. Real sluggish. Mostly dies in reverse when backing up, if it doesn't die it chokes down.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by cuminvsstrokin
I also have this problem if you bump the throttle it will die and dies easily at times. The pickup is not that good either. Real sluggish. Mostly dies in reverse when backing up, if it doesn't die it chokes down.
Sounds like your idle isn't high enough.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:30 PM

Thats what someone else just told me. Also wants me to do away with the prefilter and heater. what do u think? Engine idle is around 500
Old 08-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Banned

Should be 750 in drive with the A/C on.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:43 PM

what is your take on the removing the prefilter and heater.?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:02 PM

Something to think about

If you remove the filter / heater you will need an adaptor plate to properly space the lift pump. The LP is bolted on top of the barcket for the filter / heater. In warm climates you can get around without the heater. However it sure helps in starting in the cold. I really think the best thing to do is replace the "O" ring type gasket. I just plumbed around mine because I was stranded away from home and had to get it going.
Ken
Old 08-04-2005, 10:05 PM

Went to my local diesel shop today and they gave a plate and told me to bring my old one back and they would cut it down and keep it for the next person. They seem to think it would be better to run without it. I live in Arkansas so it stays pretty warm here.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:55 PM

ur idle is low? timing has slipped? cat is plugged?...overflow valve bad?...and u need 3k gsks since u will never have power over 2100rpms without it

Andrew
Old 08-06-2005, 11:39 AM

Aight fellas i'm stillat a loss. Engine idle is at 800 with engine idling a/c full max
still falls on its face when youhit the accelator, and when backing up.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by cuminvsstrokin
what is your take on the removing the prefilter and heater.?
Why??? Removiing the prefilter and/or heater does not make sense at all. Its not the problem anyway. Check/clean/or replace the prefilter and it will be fine.

Have you checked timing?

Interesting that you bring this up as my new 12V does the same thing when backing up. Idle is low though.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:58 PM

Idle speed is very important. Too low and it will not start immediately without giving her some pedal then you get the cloud. Too low and it will die on you if you give the fuel pedal a stab and let off. Then if you are moving your power brakes go away and so does the steering. Been there done that. YIKES it wasn’t fun. Pulled into a parking lot stabbed the pedal let off on she died on me going about 10 mph as I was having to make a turn and stop before running into the building. That was not fun smashing down on the brake pedal and muscling the steering wheel. It all happened way too fast. It has not happened since and I hope it never does again. I just hope nobody saw the look on my face as this was all going down

Quick Reply: 12valve, feels like a loss of power