12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

12V is a PIG Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
12V is a PIG Help!!

OK I bought a 97 12v DRW auto 4wd gut less pig .I tried to run over gramma but she is way faster .I have never seen a truck this slow.whats up with it . did Dodge set them like this? 70mph was top speed with OD on .couldnt pull anymore.tomorrow I will do all the filters . it has an egr leak at the exhaust manifold (gasket i think) it will not spin the tires on gravel!

its got 108,000 on if its in gear at idle and i bump the throttle and let up it stalls,idle seems a bit low 700 rpm

this is my first P pump and its got no gauges and zero smoke.bone stock for now
HELP .....please
Old 04-29-2006, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somethings gotta be wrong. Get the valve lash checked, get the timing checked and bumped to 15-1/2 or 16*, Check the air intake filter, if its clogged, no power good time to consider a Scotty II. Search here for "Free GSK for the P pump". Check to see if there is a boost leak anywhere especially around the intercooler boots. Could be other problems but i'd start with these areas to check first.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:32 AM

check that tranny two.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:07 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I'd suggest checking air and fuel filter, doing valve lash adjustment as first steps.
Then I'd look at the AFC- there is a small air hose going to the injection pump that tells the pump whether we have boost or not. If that line is broken or disconnected the engine won't fuel even if you have boost. If that line is OK you can adjust the starwheel (8mm allen plug on the IP, below there is a star wheel that you can turn a bit forward to give it more fuel under low boost) and adjust the idle to 850 in D with the auto. ( there is a stop screw on the fuel lever of the pump- PIA to get to)
If that doesn't help you should also look at the shutoff solenoid- sometimes they are misadjusted and lead to a lack of performance.
As to the "free GSK kit"- I do strongly suggest getting at least a pyro before doing any performance mods!

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 04-29-2006, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rebal,
Stalling in gear means the idle is too low, thats not too hard to adjust, being double jointed would help though. Idle adjust in on the low on the back of the pump.

Check your throttle travel first before anything else, make sure your getting full throttle travel to the stop. IIRC there where some problems with the throttle cable streching or fraying. They're real dogs like this, I drove one, had all it could do to do 50 in drive on a level road.

Shut down selinoid not traveling enough could also cause this also.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:07 AM

Also check the rest of the AFC.. check the line running back to the wastegate.. this will leak pressure to the AFC.. there's also a diaphram in the AFC housing that can develope a leak and cause low power...
EGR valve?? one of those CA trucks...
Old 04-29-2006, 05:02 PM

Thanks a bunch guys, im heading to the shop now to service it and I will look close at all the stuff. it has a new shut down solenoid on it so ill see if its set right .
I will keep you posted on whats up

and it will get full gauges asap before mods
Old 04-29-2006, 08:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rebal
Thanks a bunch guys, im heading to the shop now to service it and I will look close at all the stuff. it has a new shut down solenoid on it so ill see if its set right .
I will keep you posted on whats up

and it will get full gauges asap before mods
yeah... make sure that not only the solenoid comes up... but that the arm which the solenoid is attached to, is pointing digonaly=up-forward...

i had that prob. no power at wot
Old 04-30-2006, 09:35 PM

OK guys I changed all the filters checked the solenoid checked for blown IC boots. I moved afc forward and ajusted star wheel fixed EGR leak at exhaust manifold still no power.
I will get a boost gauge in a couple days to see what my boost is !

AM I just used to the power of the other trucks...were they this gutless before? It will not spin the tires in loose gravel!! auto seems to shift and down shift good. I have ZERO smoke. and even less power, some things got to be wrong! I dont feel any power coming on at any RPM just a real slow steady increase in speed .
Old 04-30-2006, 10:27 PM
RJF

I am pretty sure your engine does not have EGR.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by RJF
you would be wrong
Old 05-01-2006, 11:08 PM

OK now the check engine light came on...I looked its still there. what will trip the light? and how do I turn it off?
thanks guys
Old 05-01-2006, 11:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wish i could work under ur hood...

i have worked on gutless trucks... where others gave up... it did about 60 mph or less in the 1/4 mile
after it did about 85mph
Old 05-01-2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by 12valve
i wish i could work under ur hood...

i have worked on gutless trucks... where others gave up... it did about 60 mph or less in the 1/4 mile
after it did about 85mph
ME too! hurry
Old 05-02-2006, 04:53 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by RJF

I second that. EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) did not appear on a Cummins powered Ram until 2003, when the 3rd gens came out.

Quick Reply: 12V is a PIG Help!!