12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

12V was idleing, shut off and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12V was idleing, shut off and won't start

Like the title says, I have a 95 12V in a 3500 dump truck. Since it was warm today, I thought I would turn it over to charge up the batteries and just run the truck.
Hit the key and started the truck and went inside for a short time. When I came out the truck wasn't running. WTH
Cranked it several times and it didn't even try to catch.
The truck has a 1/2 tank of fuel.
It sits an awful lot as I just use the truck to plow my drive but has worked well this winter. I plug it in when needed so it is warm when I start things up.
Noticed a weird smell after several attempes to start the truck. It is like a burnt smell unlike the normal diesel exhaust smell.
After reading about the shutoff switch, I had the key on and manually raised the arm until I heard the click...still no start.
One weird thing it did after the repeated attempts to start...the starter seemed to turn alot faster than normal. After I let it sit for some time, the starter spun at the usual speed.
There were some threads about this condition but I could never find where they shared what the problem was and what the fix was.
Thanks for any help.
Any help would be appreciated as I plow with the truck and more snow will be on the way.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First I'd get the broom handle out and start priming. After you have built up pressure in the system try to start it and see what happens. It's hard to describe how to tell if you have pressure. Some say that the primer will stiffen, but I have never noticed this when I prime. I notice, if it's very quiet, the sound of the fuel squirting past the overflow valve on the injector pump, and I know I have built up the pressure as high as it's gonna go.
If it still will not start crack one of the injector lines loose, to allow air out. 3/4" wrench. You can do this on the injector side or the pump side.
If it still will not start I begin to look further at the fuel system, for air leaks. While it is possible for the injector pump to go bad, it doesn't happen very often. It is usually something else in the fuel system.
You can see my thread about my 96 falling down a few weeks ago, and it was the fuel filter just plain clogged up.

Chris
Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes ck fuel pressure going into inj. pump, you need a minimum of about 15 psi. change the filters too if you are low in pressure
Old 02-01-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
1994 thru 1998 12 Valve Fuel System Operation and Repair