Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Tire failure damage.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Tire failure damage.

The old first gen is so strong and noisy that I totally shredded a tire on the first trailer before someone flagged me down to change it. It shredded the fabric moisture barrier above the tires.

What's the usual repair for such damage?
Old 08-15-2016, 03:49 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Bummer..... I dont think the trucks noise has anything to do with it either but more the sheer towing capability of these trucks.

Some years ago I was cruising along down the freeway pulling a TT and the boost gauge crept up 2 psi. I thought hmmm, I wonder why? Not long after someone drive by pointing at the trailer. Had it not been for them I probably would have gone for miles and miles before I found a reason to stop. Messed up the trailer pretty bad and it was older so fixing it was difficult due to no matching parts out there.

Today I use a TPMS and love it. I can watch the tires temperatures and pressures as the system monitors whats going on in real live data. If one of them falls out of the pre-set parameter for heat and pressure, the monitor in the cab has an alarm giving you time to pull over before things get damaged.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:34 PM

Funny, I was thinking the same thing when I was pulled over. "Why is my boost so high on a flat road."

Where can I get a TPM system? How expensive? Cost to install? The poor economy and advancing age are wrecking havoc on the finances, but I refuse to quit playing. I'll sell the farm and live in the camper first. DW is not with me, she's pushing me.

Took a close look at the damage. Doesn't look as bad as it did at first glance. There's sound material within an inch of a fairly well defined rectangular damage section. I suppose the proper material and adhesive should do the trick after a hair cut.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:39 PM

Actually that looks very fixable. The fiberglass type material is available at RV parts places and they have some strong duct tape like stuff to hold it in place. Or just cover the whole area with the tape and forget the material.

The TPMS I have is this one. https://tsttruck.com/ Kit 507. I've had it for a few years and only changed the batteries once.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a similar issue on my previous trailer. Tried taping it but it wouldn't stick to that stuff. I just ended up trimming off the loose ends and ended up selling it before I had a chance to fix it right. Sorry not much help.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
I had a similar issue on my previous trailer. Tried taping it but it wouldn't stick to that stuff. I just ended up trimming off the loose ends and ended up selling it before I had a chance to fix it right. Sorry not much help.
They have a special tape that is supposed to be permanent. Cleaning before application is real important. Duct tape falls off in about a week.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:09 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
That material looks exactly like the woven fabric we use for stacked retaining walls and under asphalt pavebacks...very strong and will dull a sharp knife really quick.

Ask any roadcrew buddies for a bolt of it, maybe.....
Old 08-17-2016, 04:53 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
When I bought my 2001 the first trip down a gravel road at speed made the rear wheel liners disappear, they were just smashed to bits right in line with the tire. The dealer rolled their eyes but did replace them and I said I would install them but before I installed them I bolted a strip of reinforced rubber a little over the tire width about 1/4 inch thick around the inside and when I sold the truck the rear liners were just like new. You could do the same in this case.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
When I bought my 2001 the first trip down a gravel road at speed made the rear wheel liners disappear, they were just smashed to bits right in line with the tire. The dealer rolled their eyes but did replace them and I said I would install them but before I installed them I bolted a strip of reinforced rubber a little over the tire width about 1/4 inch thick around the inside and when I sold the truck the rear liners were just like new. You could do the same in this case.
I want to know more about this..... Are you truly saying that the inner fenders on your truck were destroyed by flailing rocks flying off your tires????? I've been down plenty of gravel roads and my liners look like the day they came off the assembly line.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:39 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin

Where can I get a TPM system? How expensive? Cost to install?

The system that I use is: https://tsttruck.com/

I have used the 510 in the past, but now have the 507. The Flow Thru sensors are OK, but if you need to pump a tire, it takes ages due to the small hole in the sensor. I am now thinking about dumping the Flow Thru's and going for the Internal sensors. Cost to install is nothing if you do it yourself.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:58 PM

I'm not unhappy with the 507 sensors. The batteries are extremely simple to change and are available everywhere. Having the ability to air up through sensors instead of removing them would be a benefit, but not if you have to add a lot of air.

I simply turn on the TPMS monitor and let them tell me if the tires need air and then add accordingly. The only ones I have to mess with are the ones I use for the trucks rear tires, which I take off when I'm not towing the RV trailer.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:06 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

I have had a considerable amount of trouble with the Flow Thru sensors not being very accurate for pressure. They appear to be good for temperature readings. Have found that the rubber washer on the sensors is very sensitive to how tight the senors are screwed on. Less than a half a turn makes the difference. A bit too loose and they do not read or under read. A bit too tight and then no air gets thru and that also messes up the reading. Going to switch to the internal for two reasons; 1) better anti theft and possibility of damage and 2) hopefully more air flow when filling.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KATOOM
Bummer..... I dont think the trucks noise has anything to do with it either but more the sheer towing capability of these trucks.

Some years ago I was cruising along down the freeway pulling a TT and the boost gauge crept up 2 psi. I thought hmmm, I wonder why? Not long after someone drive by pointing at the trailer. Had it not been for them I probably would have gone for miles and miles before I found a reason to stop. Messed up the trailer pretty bad and it was older so fixing it was difficult due to no matching parts out there.

Today I use a TPMS and love it. I can watch the tires temperatures and pressures as the system monitors whats going on in real live data. If one of them falls out of the pre-set parameter for heat and pressure, the monitor in the cab has an alarm giving you time to pull over before things get damaged.
I use the same system TST 507 1st tripout paid for it self. Had a leak in a tire alarm went off and I was able to pull off at the next exit and change the tire. Several of my RV buddies have had minor issues with their TST system and they are very impressed with the TST customer service.

This is the tape you need to repair you fabric covering that got tore up.
https://www.amazon.com/Surface-Shiel...ywords=rv+tape
Hope this helps
Old 08-17-2016, 10:02 PM

I would think that anytime there's a problem with the internal means removing the tire would not be worth it. I kinda like being able to replace them easily and replace the batteries easily.

The theft thing "could" be an issue depending on the situation, but the sensors on my 507 have to be installed/removed with a special tool otherwise they're very difficult to turn. I cant imagine it being worth the effort for someone just messing around.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:07 PM

You don't know the people around here! They will steal anything, even if they have no immediate use for it. So far I have not had a sensor stolen, but it is just a matter of time. Even tho it is held on with a grub screw, the lowlife will try to force it off, causing who knows what kind of damage. I would rather have the internal and risk a problem than have a sensor stolen and possible subsequent damage,

Quick Reply: Tire failure damage.