Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Does a roof wing help MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does a roof wing help MPG?

Just picked up a 5'r and it nearly 13 feet tall. I drove about 1200 miles last week and noticed a big drop in MPG.

I was towing a 9ft tall dragger about 8,000# and now the 13ft tall 5r is 10,000# but a 2-3 mpg drop was not expected. I went from 10-11 to 8-9 mpg.

Do I need a roof wing?

Derek <*)))><
Old 07-25-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would recommend one like installed on Honda's (ricers) and one of those wistler mufflers should get you back another 2-3mpgs. J/K...sorry I couldn't resist too much coffee this sat morn.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:43 AM

You left off the street glow neons!

It may just just be what it is but I know this new 5r is way up in the air. I don't like the look of the wings but I see most big rigs now have defectors and a lot of 5r rigs have wings.

Derek <*)))><
Old 07-25-2009, 10:06 AM

I've tried a couple different ones on mine. I think the general consensus it that they do little to increase mileage.
Their main benefit is to keep bugs off the front. They do that pretty well.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:51 AM

Posted before I searched -DOH!

Looks like the MPG is what it is.

Derrek <*)))><
Old 07-25-2009, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Derek Timm
Just picked up a 5'r and it nearly 13 feet tall. I drove about 1200 miles last week and noticed a big drop in MPG.

I was towing a 9ft tall dragger about 8,000# and now the 13ft tall 5r is 10,000# but a 2-3 mpg drop was not expected. I went from 10-11 to 8-9 mpg.

Do I need a roof wing?

Derek <*)))><
I'm guessing my 5th wheel is about 13' high too. I can barely reach the top of it when I'm standing on the bed rails of my truck. I thought of getting a wing too, because there is "bug-snot" all over the front of the 5th wheel. But I also heard they don't help with MPG.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:26 PM

Something is needed to direct airflow around your trailer. The problem with wings is air can pass under them as well as over, creating turbolence which causes drag.

One thing I might try are Airtabs. Putting them on your trailer can help eliminate the drag at the back of the trailer(which is a big problem). They are not very expensive and they are very easy to install. It would be worth a shot and I think you will be happy with the results.

Also, If you are not already doing it, try running in 5th gear at about 2000 to 2200 RPM. This will put you at about 55. Its tough I know. But the mileage you get is worth it. I can get 13.5MPG on flat ground loaded at about 29000lbs.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 58fordf100
Something is needed to direct airflow around your trailer. The problem with wings is air can pass under them as well as over, creating turbolence which causes drag.

One thing I might try are Airtabs. Putting them on your trailer can help eliminate the drag at the back of the trailer(which is a big problem). They are not very expensive and they are very easy to install. It would be worth a shot and I think you will be happy with the results.

Also, If you are not already doing it, try running in 5th gear at about 2000 to 2200 RPM. This will put you at about 55. Its tough I know. But the mileage you get is worth it. I can get 13.5MPG on flat ground loaded at about 29000lbs.
Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.airtabs.ca/photo/5-big.jpg
Old 07-25-2009, 02:17 PM

I also have the airtabs on the trailer. They do something because a buddy of mine was following me one time and noticed an increase of road dust getting kicked up behind me. Nothing he had ever experienced following another trailer.
Do they help w/ mileage??? Perhaps in some small, nearly immeasurable way they do. Slowing down will net you your biggest increase in MPG and cost nothing but time. The airtabs were around $200 for the top and sides of my 5th wheel.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jaxom
I also have the airtabs on the trailer. They do something because a buddy of mine was following me one time and noticed an increase of road dust getting kicked up behind me. Nothing he had ever experienced following another trailer.
Do they help w/ mileage??? Perhaps in some small, nearly immeasurable way they do. Slowing down will net you your biggest increase in MPG and cost nothing but time. The airtabs were around $200 for the top and sides of my 5th wheel.
I also drive slowly when towing. A friend of mine always asks me if that's "all that old Dodge will do?" I drive about 55 to 65, and he drives 70 to 75. So by the time I arive at our destination, he's already reconned the site and guides me in. Win-win for me!
Old 07-25-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW, my understanding is that the roof wing usually doesn't help mileage because it is too far away from the front of the trailer. If you can locate it so that it's within 18-24" of the front of the 5er (similar distance to a semi trailer and the back of the semi cab), it may help some but like others have already said, an egg under your right foot will be the biggest economizer.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If ya wana feel wind drag, pull my toy hauler. Its 12'6" tall 30' long and its a bumper mount. Feels like a gigantic parachute. Best I can hope for is 10mpg no matter how slow I drive. No wing is gona do me any good.

The day I brought it home. No WD hitch in this pic.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IF something is needed to direct airflow, it's only at the rear (like an AirTab type of thing). Nothing is needed up front.

Airflow is comparably smarter at the front than at the rear. The incoming flow will compress at the point of restriction and set up a stagnation point that directs flow around the front.

The REAR is were almost all aerodynamic adjustments should be made.

Other things like decreased ground clearance and such all can help mpg.* A towing wing makes me laugh if it's there for anything other than bug direction.

Originally Posted by 58fordf100

Old 07-26-2009, 05:47 PM

I pull a 38ft Raptor (also 13ft tall) and I get about 13MPG. I do try to keep it around 60 though. The Smarty got me about 2MPG over stock.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Muted User

I always laugh at the people with wings on their trucks. You know they bought it to "save fuel" but they leave it on all the time. Pushing extra air without pulling anything.

Quick Reply: Does a roof wing help MPG?