Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I need help. I know it has been gone over but im not seeing the answer

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I need help. I know it has been gone over but im not seeing the answer

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Gas 5.9L that is having some cruise control issues. I have replaced the Servo/Actuator, The complete vacuum line going from the servo to the intake manifold. The fuses are good and all wires are sound and undamaged. I hit the cruise button and the green light on the steering wheel comes on. I hit the set button and nothing happens. I pull up on the brake and hold the brake up with my foot and hit the set button. still nothing. I then raise the clutch pedal up and do the same thing. still no results. I raise up on both the clutch pedal and the brake pedal and hit the cruise still nothing. the light remains green and wont set the speed.

Any ideas????? Please help
Old 02-07-2016, 05:52 AM

This is just a guess but does the third break light work (are there any bulbs out). I had a car that quit working and after replacing the light the cruse worked again.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:32 AM

Thats an idea. Ill see if all the lights are working
Old 02-07-2016, 09:17 AM

Well it was a guess a lights are working as they should. :/ still no cruise
Old 02-07-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Rebel Child
I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Gas 5.9L that is having some cruise control issues. I have replaced the Servo/Actuator, The complete vacuum line going from the servo to the intake manifold. The fuses are good and all wires are sound and undamaged. I hit the cruise button and the green light on the steering wheel comes on. I hit the set button and nothing happens. I pull up on the brake and hold the brake up with my foot and hit the set button. still nothing. I then raise the clutch pedal up and do the same thing. still no results. I raise up on both the clutch pedal and the brake pedal and hit the cruise still nothing. the light remains green and wont set the speed.

Any ideas????? Please help
do you have vacuum in the new line at the servo?
Old 02-07-2016, 10:02 AM

Yes ive replaced the servo and the vacuum line going from the servo to the intake. Lights are all good and the brake pedal and clutch pedal trick doesnt work. The light still remains green and still cant set speed
Old 02-07-2016, 10:45 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Is this for a gas engine truck?
Old 02-07-2016, 10:46 AM

Yes its for the 5.9L gas engine
Old 02-07-2016, 10:51 AM

I dont mean to sound rude then but this is the diesel section. I would think you'd have better chances finding a solution to your cruise control problem in a forum for your gas truck.

Aside from pointing you in the right forum direction, I would check for proper voltage and power at all fuses and relays. And yes, if the computer recognizes that the brake pedal is being touched (by a faulty switch) then it will disable the cruise.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:11 AM

Yes i know it's a diesel section but the concept is all the same just different engines.

I've run through the wires they are getting the correct volts and amps that is required according to the haynes manual
Old 02-07-2016, 11:12 AM

I might replace the brake switch is cheap enough. Who knows it might be the problem
Old 02-07-2016, 11:19 AM

No, its not the same. Gasoline engines create their own vacuum via the intake venturi whereas diesel engines do not. In order to utilize some vacuum operated components some diesel engine trucks will have an engine mounted vacuum pump which runs at a constant vacuum. But even with the vacuum pump, some of these 2nd gen Cummins engines have vacuum controlled cruise controls and some of them have electronic controlled cruise. So to assume your gas engine has the same configuration isnt a good assumption. Again, people with your same truck more than likely can offer the best help. Your cruise control system could have many variables which are specific to that vehicle. And again.....thats not trying to be rude but just get you the best source of information.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:21 AM

See the more you know. Lol thanks
Old 02-07-2016, 11:45 AM

Well glad I could offer something.....
Old 02-07-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
You could have a faulty set switch also. Check this stuff with a voltage meter before wasting money on guesses....

I used to have a great site bookmarked for this very thing (use s of a voltmeter) but lost it.'

Try to find one and check it out, saves a lot of time and money over the years...

Quick Reply: I need help. I know it has been gone over but im not seeing the answer