Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Body Lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Lift

I was curious if anyone has tried using a body lift and how it worked out. I would consider a 2 inch maybe, to get a little more working room under the hood. Are there any drawbacks that make it not worth the trouble?
Old 05-21-2004, 04:15 PM

There are +'s and -'s to body lifts. The problem with body lifts is that if you raise it too much, you will need to replace hoses, electrical connections and so on with longer ones. Two inches shouldn't be much of a probelem though. Body lifts are less $ than suspension lifts, so that is a +. Have you thought about a front end leveling kit? I had one on my old truck and loved it, esp. for the $. Me, personally, will always go w/ a susp. lift (after having one, never want to go back). I guess it all just depends on what you want, and how much you want to spend.

Keep on keeping on,
Hunter
Old 05-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Banned

I was gonna do a body lift on my truck but decided against it. Just to much hassle with the intercooler and stuff. I'd rather spend the money on a suspension lift. I second the leveling kit. I have that on mine and I really like it. I didn't realize how much taller I was until I pulled up next to a truck like mine without a front leveling kit. Made me feel special.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:50 PM
Banned

I don't really need the leveling kit, but I am purchasing one just for the additional clearance. I was only interested in a 2 inch body lift because it doesn't show the frame & all so much. I wanted to have a little more room for doing a HEAD job with studs added, but I doubt it is worth all that trouble to put the body lift on.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:00 PM
Banned

OH YEAH BIGBLUE, I notice you keep up with some KILLS. I wish i had a video of the number I put on a new DURAMAX & FORD yesterday. JUST BRIEFLY, I caught the chevy on I-16 coming out of SAVANNAH,GA. I give him the FINGER, NO not the bird finger, the index finger. He responded accordingly with his. As we were side by side I dropped a rag out the window & we were off. I lost him in the black stuff. STILL HAVEN'T SEEN HIM!!LOL!! OH YEAH, I WAS PULLING A CAT D-3 DOZER ON A 5000LB GOOSENECK. He had a small john deere, maybe 10K ON a small gooseneck. The FORD NEVER knew what passed him. HE had some huge peanut wagon full of VIDALIA ONIONS. We both had to stop & turn. I passed him before he could get through the gears. I am amazed how well my truck towed with the COMP ON LEVELS 4 & 5. Hey BLUE, does that count as 2 KILLS?
Old 05-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Banned

Darn skippy it does.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:11 AM

I have a 2'' body lift and love it.It makes working on the motor so much easier.The only actual mod that needed to be done was the driver side intercooler tube shortened to the second lip down past the clamp area.Hope this helps you!
Old 05-23-2004, 02:40 PM

BP..........check your pm's
Old 05-23-2004, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put a thread about a month ago about how to raise the fan bracket for a body lift. I will be putting a 3" on mine soon for more engine and transmission room. The fan deal will work with 3" don't know about 2"
Old 05-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Banned

Haulin, the only concern I'd have with yours is the amount of weight you tow. You tow an awful lot of weight and I'd be scared that you might collapse the mounts or break the bolts or something.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:09 PM

Haulin..............I also have a 99 and would like to do a 3" BL also.....Could u do a writeup of the correct part# etc of whats needed.....

Thanks....
Old 05-23-2004, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by z1bigtom
Haulin..............I also have a 99 and would like to do a 3" BL also.....Could u do a writeup of the correct part# etc of whats needed.....

Thanks....
I put a thread on it a while back while I had the engines sitting on the floor. The stock mount has four bolt holes in it. The head also has four holes in it that the pattern is 3 1/4 inches higher.

the two top holes fit as made. The bottom holes would have to be drilled and probably some brass added for support on the back. Other than that there is a little grinding needs to be done on the left side, I belive it was. My engine came with the mount for the fan on the head bolt holes, but it would not work, a little modding and the stock mount will go there. I had it bolted to the head with the top holes to check it out.

A longer belt and you would be in business. As I said, in a while I will be doing it, need to check the availability of the longer belts first. Might even do mine on the engine sitting on the floor first, then mount it.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by BigBlue
Haulin, the only concern I'd have with yours is the amount of weight you tow. You tow an awful lot of weight and I'd be scared that you might collapse the mounts or break the bolts or something.
Towing should have no effect on the cab mounts. I would think that 4 wheeling would have more effect due to frame twisting etc.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:42 AM
Banned

Your only doing the cab? I thought you were doing the whole truck. My mistake.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by BigBlue
Your only doing the cab? I thought you were doing the whole truck. My mistake.
Yeah Blue, I don't have a bed on it, just a cab.

Quick Reply: Body Lift