MDDTR #33 Forum for the Maryland chapter #33

towing set up suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing set up suggestions?

Anyone have a good towing setup for an 04.5 that really lowers EGT`s, like what turbo would you recommend, intercooler , or intake piping. I want to stay away from that water meth injection stuff, it seems like too much can go wrong if the solenoid sticks open or does not open at all.I just hate going up big hills , or mountains and am only able to give my truck 1/4 to half pedal because the EGT`s are at 1200. A few times my guage got stuck and I was wondering why my truck was hauling *** up the incline with 9000+ lbs behind it, then I tap the guage and oh! crap its at 1500degrees. I have pricol guages too.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran at one time htt 62-71-14 with the banks intercooler and hi-rise with ddp 50's and the smarty on 5 and it was awsome. Also had a clutch intake exhaust and fass to support it.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Twins. Put a S475 under your stock charger and you will not have an egt issue anymore. I had a 62/71/14 on mine without sticks and it sucked towing hills. PM me your # if you want to chat about my set-up. 575 HP and tows without getting too hot.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the 04.5 up 1500* is not to hot. the peak temp is actually lower than earlier modles. the third injection pulse is made very late and gives the apperance of high egt's it is part of the in-cylinder egr scheme. there is several things to do. not only will it lower egt by 350* it will give you 6 mpg and cleaner oil.read the following.
Your truck uses in- cylinder egr for smog reduction. They also extend fueling duration and retard the timing to keep peak heat and pressure down. Since the third injection pulse is so late in the cycle the egt is very hot compared to a 03 but the peak temp where the no is formed is actually lower. i will try to keep it simple, the cam exhaust lobe is ground to leave burnt exhaust gas in for the next cycle. Change the cam to a pdr or colt. the hamilton is ground more for kids who are after power, we just want low end torque and mpg. Change or hone the nozzles to ddp 50 hp. get a smarty jr leave the torque and timing set on default and on economy or sw1 as it is called. get a fbd turbo back straight pipe kit 5". get a m090072 resonator and a m090535 muffler and 4 clamps from ryder truck parts. for the first one i did it took me 5 hours. after about the 10th one i can do it in about 3 hours. it takes longer to remove the old one than you think. i install them by myself and you do not need any special tools. i have my own shop and change the cams and nozzles here. you will probably have to pay labor. Do the nozzle change at the same time as cam to save labor. Use the left over pipe to extend the exhaust out further to keep the fenders cleaner. from ah64id There is no external EGR on any 5.9. The 04.5-07 meet the 04 emissions by utilizing "in-cylinder" EGR. The 4 big ways this was done was cam, pistons, timing, and turbo.

The cam lobes are timed so that the intake is a longer duration, and the exhaust is very short (shorter than any other Cummins in a Dodge) and the exhaust closes sooner to keep more gasses in the cylinder, this decreases combustion temp.

The pistons are a non-reentrant design and don't promote as good of air movement and combustion, again reducing peak combustion temps (and makes the pistons really easy to melt)

The timing is retarded to again reduce peak cylinder pressure and combustion temps, and to raise the EGT's to help the Cat work.

The Turbo has a very inefficient turbine wheel and small housing, this provides backpressure on the manifold to again reduce the exhaust scavenging effect.

The 03-04 actually has the same cam, and the turbine is even smaller, but its the combo of the timing and the piston in the 04.5-07's that completes the effect.

Personally I have changed my cam, use the Smarty Jr for timing, and will be swapping turbo's this spring. Should help clean up my oil, combustion, and power... thou it will increase the NOx effects.
flat lander it gets very confusing on the 04.5 up with the in-cylinder egr. they delayed timing, lengthened duration and added a very late 3rd pulse this was done to keep peak pressure and peak cylinder temp down but because the fuelling is so far away from tdc the egt's appear way hotter than previous models but in actuality it is lower than previous models on the pistons. for us that want better mpg we reverse engineer the process and as we do we see the egt drop knowing we are bringing piston temp up. with the smarty jr on default tow you will have both lower egt and piston temp than earlier models. you desperately need to change your cam to a pdr or colt and get you some 50 hp nozzles from ddp. this will gain you 6 mpg and the lowest egt once the nozzles are on you need to go back to the economy setting. the 50 hp from the nozzles is kind of a unwanted byproduct of shortening the fuelling duration. With 40 hp from the jr and 50 from the nozzles it fits the air you have and is better than stock on the engine. some posting on here like to play and their requirements are different 150 hp nozzles drastically shortens duration to where the main or 2ond pulse injects the fuel just over tdc where the pressure is highest and the most efficient work is done but also produces the most piston temp. Because the fuel burns longer the egt appears lower. we tow very heavy and have many drivers. We cannot have a truck set up that you have to drive by a pyrometer. some of our older trucks have at or over 1,000,000 miles on them all of our 06's are set up this way except the one in my sig i added enough air to use tow setting. bigwheels 94 gave a good explanation on the stick timing vs size. with the new 514 smarty software the timing for 50 hp nozzles need to be set on #3. The stock turbo will work but it needs to be modified. To keep this short pm me if you want to mod the turbo. If new turbo a 62-65-12 is the size