4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tire Presure Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Presure Monitor

So I guess the factory set this thing to 80 psi. This is actually the Max. inflation suggestion of the tire. Any lower pressure and the sensor sends a warning.

Anyone know how to lower the TPM setting? Hate running such high PSI.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The dealer can or should be able to set the pressure. I have the AutoEnginuity Scan Tool and reduced the rear tire pressure warning because it (the TPM) was acting up when we were in NM. Really simple procedure and only took me about 5 minutes to do.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:39 AM

I will ask the dealer, thank you. Also want them to set up the increased idle with the cruise control buttons. Turn it on and then hit set....
Old 09-11-2014, 12:16 PM

They should be able to do both of those with ease.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:36 PM

Service writer at the dealer said that most likely Ram will not allow anyone to change the limits on the sensor.

****! Now what?
Old 09-19-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't played with the new trucks yet. Getting a Starscan for my 2014s work trucks in the next couple weeks and will see how it works.
I'm fairly certain it can be done.
I got the same story with my '13 F250 work truck. Selling dealer said it couldn't be done. Other dealers said not allowed to. Finally found one that would do it.
Call a few tire shops that do aftermarket wheels for trucks. They usually know which dealers or shops will do it. I found the right shop thru Les Scwab tires. It's where they send their customers when they get big tires and the OE pressure setting are no longer applicable to the tires on the truck.

It's annoying as sh!; that the government is controlling how we can operate our vehicles. It's just dumbing down society in general!
Old 09-19-2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Grit Dog

It's annoying as sh!; that the government is controlling how we can operate our vehicles. It's just dumbing down society in general!
It ain't the gov't, it's the ignorant service writers that have zero clue on how the systems work and won't even let a technician look into it first (I had a service writer tell me that my truck is so smart that I will get a notification when the batteries need to be changed in the FOBIK--still waiting for that to happen lol). I know there are some techs out there that don't have a clue as well, but you will never know if they are never given the chance. Chrysler is known to keep their systems as locked down as much as possible, but I wouldn't put it pass them that they intentionally lock down their dealer tools so stuff like that can't be done. Everything that I can do to my truck using the AutoEnginuity Scan Tool is because that portion of the system is part of the diagnostic testing required by the EPA (I think). The systems that any advanced scan tool can access (if properly programmed) on Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles include: SBEC/JTEC System Tests, VPW-based system tests, NGC System Tests, among many, many others. Check out AutoEnginuity's website for a complete list.

If dealers can selectively enable the trailer brake controller, they can modify the tire pressure module limits. Nearly all of it is done through the TIPM and some through the instrument cluster (not the EVIC).

It may be worth investing in an advanced scan tool like the AE just to avoid the dealer. That is one of the reasons why I purchased mine.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:53 PM

Grit Dog, if you are taking about the actual Starscan from Chrysler, it won't work on anything above 2010. Checkout www.dealerscantool.com for more info. You will need the Witech system to work on your truck, if you are wanting Chrysler diagnostic level testing and flashing.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:00 PM

Just took my 2014 to the shop to have this adjusted and got the same story, can't be done on the 14 and ups, some kind of government mandate. They have done it on the earlier models and could pull the screen up to do it on my 14 but it would not let them change the data. So now I have a tire warning light on my new truck that will never go away. Great, guess it's black electrical tape time!

Nothing like a 60K truck held together with tape!!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dually has tms on it my 12 didn't. I actually really like the feature. My lowest tire reading was 68 highest being 72 no tire pressure light on my truck
Old 10-01-2014, 02:28 PM

If anyone knows someone in Vegas with a 2013-2014 truck with the TPMS that would be willing to see if the AutoEnginuity Scan Tool will change the settings, I would be happy to meet them sometime to dive into the TIPM. I was always told that nothing more than simply pulling/clearing codes or updating emissions software (with the appropriate programmer) can be done with aftermarket devices on any Chrysler vehicle. One person was an employee with DrewTech when I was inquiring about their diagnostic tools. I eventually came across AE and decided to try it. I have enabled and disabled features and ran many diagnostic tests to see what all it could do on my truck. Heck I even enabled the clock to display on the radio in my wife's Aspen. The limit could be there to keep Chrysler techs from making changes using Chrysler tools to limit liability, but could possibly be done with an aftermarket device. Never hurts to try.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:58 AM

Can anyone provide an update on the tire pressure situation? I just bought a 2016 2500 mega cab and of course have custom rims and tires. My tires do not need more than about 60 psi when empty and i'm trying to understand the solutions to eliminate the tire pressure warning light on the dash etc...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-23-2016, 11:56 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Digidydog
Can anyone provide an update on the tire pressure situation? I just bought a 2016 2500 mega cab and of course have custom rims and tires. My tires do not need more than about 60 psi when empty and i'm trying to understand the solutions to eliminate the tire pressure warning light on the dash etc...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
run the pressure you want and tape over the light. on my car, i removed the sensors from all wheels and adjusted the pressures that the tire says on the sidewall which is more than the automobile mfg wants!
Old 06-23-2016, 09:48 PM

That's absurd. What is this country coming to, seriously. If we filled tires to the 80 psi range and they are max of 65 psi and I crash and die and the forensics show the over inflation is to blame, it would be on them. They obviously don't understand the fundamental physics of pressure as it relates to surface area, especially for bigger tires (wider).
Old 07-25-2016, 01:16 PM

The dealers cannot set the limits to the TPM system. The technicians do not have the ability to set the parameters. My Ram 2500 calls for 80psi rear and 50psi front and canot get lower than 70 in the rears before the light will illuminate. I worked at FCA for 15 years and have many contacts. I was advised that due to liability they no longer allow for any adjustments w/parameter. I was advised on some of the older Rams they had a light haul button the center stack and you could reduce the rear pressure when not trailering but because of liability for those who do not air up on heavy loads, they removed it.... Anyone have a good work around please advise, my truck has the camper package and rides rough...

Quick Reply: Tire Presure Monitor