4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right! (4th Gen Section) UPDATED 6-6-11

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:39 AM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That kit has the delete plates so you can remove the egr solenoid, and egr exhaust cooler plates. Mostly gaskets, plates, a few other minor bits. Its easier to remove the exhaust manifold, but the HE351VGT has an odd turbine flange size. There is no programmer in that kit. Shibby does some decent work.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:23 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When you say "There is no programmer in that kit." Are you talking about the Shibby? Because one could just run the H&S XRT and then they would be OK. Right?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 PM

I've been reading quite a bit on the topics of EGR unplug, deletes, tuners, etc. since getting my 2011 back in November and have a couple of basic questions:

1. Why wouldn't unplugging the EGR and either gutting or coring/sleeving the DPF and NOX cannisters be the way to go to get all of the advantages of doing full deletes without jeopordizing your warranty. The EGR unplug would keep the motor clean, gutted DPF would never get the differential pressure needed to trigger regen. Empty DPF and NOX cannisters would be free flowing like with a delete pipe. All sensors wiring, etc would be intact. It seems like everyone in non-emissions states would be going this way. Am I missing something?

2. Does anyone have real data that confirms whether just the EGR uplug has an impact on performance (the 40 HP thing). I unplugged mine at 1300 mi (now 6000 mi) and l'm not sure I can tell a difference. Then there's times I floor it to pass or catch a 5.9 and it doesn't seem to have much zip. I think a lot of it has to do with whether or not the transmission kicks down to a lower gear or not. Just curious if there's any factual confirmation of a HP decrease w/ the unplug.

3. This if my fist Dodge diesel (last 3 were Fords, 7.3L). What is the deal with Smarty tuners? There were a ton of different tuners and chips for Fords but it seems everyone is goo goo for Smarty on the 6.7. To the point of driving a stock truck until they figure something out for the 10's and 11's (when there is another tuner available). Also, what changed with the 4th gen trucks that the 2007 and up tuner won't work. Isn't it the same motor with a new body/interior?

Hope these aren't stupid questions, just trying to get this all figured out.

Thanks
Ed Self
Old 01-09-2011, 06:45 PM
The Guru

1. You can use sims for the DPF egt probes, and a code clearing device and unplug. you'll have cel issues and the four injection event.
2.Yes, its on smarty web page and various diesel forums. I don't believe it or the RFE68 masks the defuel very well.
3.Smart is beta phase, and is only offered in Jr model. H&S is the only real available programer available, and its code free. They change ECM and ECM protocals. The 10 only has an ECM, 7.5-9 trucks have ECM and TCM.

Mr Blake will soon be providing pictures on how to delete a 10 truck, #1 mod.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:13 PM

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the response.

"You can use sims for the DPF egt probes, and a code clearing device and unplug. you'll have cel issues and the four injection event."

Why would you need sims for the probes? Shouldn't they still read EGT? Wouldn't the only stored codes be associated with the EGR unplug? I didn't think these could affect warranty. I've already bought in to the CEL with the unplug, not great but can live with it plus I can always plug it back in for warranty work. Would you still get the four injection event (regen?) with a hollow DPF? I thought differential pressure triggered a regen?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Regen is a function of exhaust temperature as well as the pressure difference.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 PM

so when you unplug the sensors in the exhaust and you are leaving them or tapeing them up... is that where the programmer comes in, jumping them out so they dont set off a code? otherwise theres nothing making up the circuit if you are just leaving them unplugged... sorry im just an ol 12 valver
Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 PM

Precisely. When you delete with a programmer, you just unplug the sensors on the exhaust and the pigtails remain either taped up, or plugged with dummy plugs. The programmer fools the ECM in to believing that they are still plugged in and operational.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Precisely. When you delete with a programmer, you just unplug the sensors on the exhaust and the pigtails remain either taped up, or plugged with dummy plugs. The programmer fools the ECM in to believing that they are still plugged in and operational.
ok thats what i thought. I am lookin to buy another truck, I wanted a late 06 or 07 5.9 dually standard, but all these threads on the 6.7's and how nice the auto and brake are, are all making me like them more and more.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:12 PM

Blake, I just talked to someone on the phone about the deletes and they told me that the egr delete didn't have to be done as the Smarty J-6.7ME
disables it automatically. Is this true. I wont mention who on the forum but will in a PM if you want to know. Thanks and keep up the good work.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by ramafication
Blake, I just talked to someone on the phone about the deletes and they told me that the egr delete didn't have to be done as the Smarty J-6.7ME
disables it automatically. Is this true. I wont mention who on the forum but will in a PM if you want to know. Thanks and keep up the good work.
With the new smarties you can delete in place. Meaning you don't even have to unplug anything. The smarty disables it all.

Sent from my iPod Shuffle using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2011, 07:55 PM

A little FYI. Have been running 67JrME for over three weeks now. Code free. Has 3 catcher settings and multiple tweaks you can do if so inclined. Can't change on the fly but do have multiple settings available. Ran Black maxx since Aug. last year. Depends on what you want your truck to do as to which tuner you'll have the best luck with. IMHO both are good. H&S let me get deleted sooner but I think for my application the Smarty is closer to what I want. Quick throttle response, awesome low end torque and so far in the comparisons I have done better economy. Just my .02.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 PM

All I care about is mpg.............
Old 03-17-2011, 08:51 PM

You're preaching to the choir....
Old 03-17-2011, 10:05 PM

I'll either get mileage or I'm giving back to the bank. I'm really tried of this crap....

Quick Reply: Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right! (4th Gen Section) UPDATED 6-6-11