3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please Help me Set Up my Smarty Jr-

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help me Set Up my Smarty Jr-

2003 HO 24v 6sp Manual Dually

I purchased a Smarty Jr some time ago, and am not particularly interested in making max HP, but want a mild tune with good EGT for economy and light towing (8000 lb max).

The instructions say there are 4 states of tune, w/ zero being stock, but then it mentions POD (power on demand) and timing and torque settings, plus advice to make full power runs to decide which POD makes max power.

I really don't understand the instructions very well (there are 2 extra sheets that talk about full-power runs and making max black smoke, about which I could care less. I just want at least stock power w/ better throttle response and max fuel economy.

Can anyone condense what power setting I should select (1 or 2 maybe?) and do I mess w/ POD?

I am a very conservative driver, and was pointed to Smarty Jr mainly for fuel economy and lower EGTs, so I am probably not the "average" user, which I understand.

The Prior Owner of my truck (5 years ago ago) cracked 2 piston rings and burned a piston, and when I bought the truck I had the engine remanufactured, and have no desire to duplicate the experience.

I do have an Edge Insight full gauge set, so can monitor the engine parameters, and am religious about watching EGTs, but as I said, I want a "bullet-proof" mild setting.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:44 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First, I can tell you the Smarty jr was designed and programmed with the otherwise stock truck in mind. This is good for you.

All trucks respond differently which is why you get all the adjustments. What is great for one guy may not be for you. You have to play with it a little. Go ahead, it can be fun and you won't hurt anything because of your driving style.

Don't worry about POD for now. Leave it at 99.

Try sw2, timing 4, torque management 2 for a start. See how you like that.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I fully agree with soulezoo and will only add to run each tune you try for a full tank of fuel in similar driving conditions (if possible) to get the best idea for mileage.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:52 PM

Thanks, Ill try SW2 Timing 4 Torque 2

When I originally tries SW 2 I didn't see the menu to put in Timing/Torque, but that was a while ago, and I'll look more carefully.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 PM

Smarty Jr. Settings and MPG Results

Bob,

Please check your PM's for info.

VMF-113
Old 10-26-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've slowly modded my 03 and my 05 dually. Nothing crazy but I'm after fuel economy and enough power to tow confidently without breaking things. My 03 with injectors and HE351 runs really well. Both trucks set to tow at 85 POD. TQ isn't very aggressive to save tires and reduce smoke.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:35 PM

I just had Mr ups drop off my smarty Jr. I started reading the instructions and when I got to the pod part I felt like I was in hs algebra class again. Eyes glazed over and daydreaming about having a brain that functioned semi normally. I had to put the box away because I kept reading after the smoke from my ears filled the garage and the neighbors called the fd. Again.
When I saw pod I thought, "he'll yes, I can change power on demand". This, to me, means whenever the hell I want and without plugging the unit in to do so. Then I read to set up the first crab, already forgot what that is, and then set up pod. ***? Am I setting up for X am not of power and then lowering it via pod settings? I know I'm dumber than cow cheap beat with a bat so how do I proceed with using the turners options? I want the best power that won't roast my auto transmission.
Settings for dummies please.
Thanks
Old 01-27-2015, 10:53 PM

Set it to tow with default settings and see how it runs. I've only run 6 spd trucks so I'm not sure on where to set to autos. You can go to smarty resource.net and ask Brian where to set it. Go to the J-06 forums.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:20 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Leave POD set on 99 and ignore from there.

Try the parameters suggested earlier in the thread.

Basically, you want as much timing as you can handle (you may get rattle) and leave torque management (TQ) at default. That setting is hardest on a tranny.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:42 PM

I got a question here if somebody could help me out that would be great I got a 2008 6.7 with the 68rfe my question is that I had bought a smarty jr can anybody tell me what is the torque management do exactly I tried it on 4 and it seems that it make the shifts quicker will it hurt my tranny down the road if I leave it on 4 any help would be great thanks
Old 03-08-2015, 02:05 PM
EDR

The Smarty Jr. torque settings go from 0 to 4.
0 - Default
1 - Stock
2 - Mild
3 - Soft (less than 2)
4 - Light (less than 3)

To me it's still a bit confusing, but the way I read the chart, setting #4 has the least amount of torque management, and is the hardest setting on your transmission.

If I'm incorrect hopefully someone else will chime in and set me straight.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:27 PM

I have my Smarty Jr. (514b) set on SW-1, TM-2, TQ-4 and POD 90 (less smoke than 99) on the advice of others. This has increased my HP but, more importantly, it has decreased my EGT's over 200 degrees while towing our 12,000 # 5th wheel. With an '03 you may have different results. I too have found the instructions confusing so I now go by the prompts on the screen. This works for me.
John
Old 03-08-2015, 10:46 PM

thanks eh yeah same here really it confuse to on instruction so what you guys think where should I set the timing and torque played around with all the levels but heard some things that if you run the timing on the hightest level you can blow the head gasket on the 6.7 what happens when you put the torque on 4 does it make for quicker shifts
Old 03-09-2015, 12:57 AM
EDR

I have a 5.9 so I can't address your timing question. You should probably try the 4th Gen guys for that issue.

As far as torque mgmt., the factory de-fuels (or something similar) when you accelerate to limit the torques' impact on the drivelne. Changing the setting with the Smarty increases the available torque at take-off for faster acceleration. The increased torque can damage your transmission and driveline if you're not careful.

I don't remember reading anything about it changing the shift pattern, it just allows more of the engines available torque to be transmitted to the transmission.

So, as mentioned before, setting #4 is the hardest on your transmission. I have mine set on 2, it gives me enough off the line, and minimizes the potential for transmission damage.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:31 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by EDR
The Smarty Jr. torque settings go from 0 to 4.
0 - Default
1 - Stock
2 - Mild
3 - Soft (less than 2)
4 - Light (less than 3)

To me it's still a bit confusing, but the way I read the chart, setting #4 has the least amount of torque management, and is the hardest setting on your transmission.

If I'm incorrect hopefully someone else will chime in and set me straight.
Correct. I've got an upgraded clutch on my 3rd and set everything to default. Stock clutch would be set on max tm.

Quick Reply: Please Help me Set Up my Smarty Jr-