24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

truck pulls left

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
truck pulls left

Ever since I changed my front bearings years back my truck has pulled left. I used the trick I learned here where you back the bolt out except a few threads , leave the socket on it and use the power steering to push the bearing out. Just got brand new tires and front end allignment 2 months ago , but it still pulls left. So today I took it back to Goodyear and they say its not the allignment but they can't figure it out......

I know their probabaly a bunch of kids working back there with not much experience. Any ideas as to a possiable cause? It makes it a pain to drive as I'm constantly adjusting my steering wheel as I drive.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:02 PM

Sorry , I double posted this in 2 forums. I'm on a cell and its tuff.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its possible you may have a brake caliper hung up. Does it pull worse when you are on the brakes?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
It could be a number of things, #1 starting with the shop you use.

In Spec, doesn't necessarily mean it's good...

It could be anything from a separated tire to the roads you regularly travel(highly unlikley, most roads are crowned for drainage and you would be pulling to the right).

I'd get a second shop checking that alignment, ask around, there is always a known top shelf alignment guy lurking about....
Old 01-12-2014, 12:24 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Yes, SIXSLUG is correct that it could be because of a few different reasons. It could be simple tire radial pull which could be easily determined by just swapping the left and right front tire and see if the pull goes away or is now pulling to the right. The factory alignment specs are to have the truck pull to the left in order to compensate for the road crown but generally these trucks pull pretty good anyways. Lots of complaints about that.

It could be that your alignment is off but really there isnt to much to the 2nd gen truck front alignment since the only adjustments available are TOE and CASTER. TOE settings are around 1/8" to 1/4" in and can be done in your garage with a string or tape measure since there's no real science behind that. CAMBER is preset can only done with replacement sleeves. And unless the tire is obviously leaning one way or the other then its more than likely that the CAMBER is just fine. That said CASTER will affect pull since the front end will tend to drift in the direction of the tire with the most CASTER so these truck have cross caster built in the axle housing. You can adjust your caster yourself since its really easy and there's no threat of messing anything up. Just mark your current spot and if you dont like the new setting then put it back. Truly its not hard. Matter of fact these 2nd gen front suspensions respond very well to placing as much caster as you can in the alignment since too little caster alignment is a leading cause of quirky twitchy steering feel and also the dreaded death wobble.

So with all that said, swap the front tires then look at your caster. If you have a dragging caliper then its usually detected by that side wearing much faster than the other side and the outer or inner pad not wearing evenly.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:17 PM

Thx guys ill look into these. I thought about taking it to another shop bit it takes a day and I need my wheels so its a pain, then I figure a alignment has to be easy so even for young inexperienced workers they should be able to do it.

2 sets of brand new tires same problem , but I will try swapping tires and check brakes as I do. Ty.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:10 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Alignment is pretty easy with the new laser type equipment, however, it's only as good as the guy running it. A lot of factors come into play the machine can't do....